Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Final Quest #24

Go down 
+40
Prayer
sueb
Outlier
Startear
Paranthropus
Stormcatcher
Wiseshaman
wingthing
Miss Gillespie
G0lden
Zadzi
IceTooth
Multi-Facets
Kindredsoul
Sadachbia
Kojiyumi
BlueCoyote
Cleopatra
namuhna
Wisp
Vaeri
Stargazer
howler monkey
faeriegirl
Anaid
PCoquelin
ErinC1978
Prism
Bluetree
Davrille
manga
Josine
Evil Evie
Sifra
Embala
Anduinel
Shadowpath
Elwing
Lunakat
jaRf
44 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
jaRf

jaRf

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptyThu Nov 16, 2017 7:07 am

Cover released here:

http://elfquest.com/cover-art-for-final-quest-issue-24-revealed/

I think it looks quite nice. Well, they could've put Rayek more in the foreground, of course. Wink
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptyThu Nov 16, 2017 12:05 pm

The last Elfquest ever Sad

Elwing

Elwing

Cancer Dog

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptyThu Nov 16, 2017 2:29 pm

Thank goodness for it too. It's all been too depressing for words...
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptyThu Nov 16, 2017 2:46 pm

I might just die if had to buy an issue with that cover.

Final Quest #24 Tumblr_oizli2hnXr1sda8vao1_1280
'We're all broken, in different ways, in varying degrees.'
Back to top Go down
Anduinel

Anduinel

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptyThu Nov 16, 2017 3:00 pm

Lunakat wrote:
The last Elfquest ever Sad

I wouldn't bet money on that, honestly. This might be the last big EQ project, but I'm sure there will be shorts or something down the line.
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptyThu Nov 16, 2017 3:24 pm

"Truely the FINAL quest." ... this was my wistful thought, too.

Yet - like Anduinel I rather expect there will be something more. Like a famos artist or group "giving their farewell tour" ... and one year later there will be a revival - followed by another farewell tour. Still feeling nostalgic ...

And I like the cover! Very Happy

Final Quest #24 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
jaRf

jaRf

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptyThu Nov 16, 2017 6:43 pm

Just repeating myself: It's stated in the FAQ or some interview that Wendy would like not ot have deadlines of regular comic release dates and work with less pressure. That probably means she'll explore other fileds, too, but likely do some ElfQuest once in a while.
So I would not say it's the definite last EQ.
Back to top Go down
Sifra

Sifra

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptyFri Nov 17, 2017 9:40 am

The cover is not very good, but it looks like they tried...
It will be the last Elfquest for me. I hope the end will not have any more bad twists.

Final Quest #24 Dart_kimo_banner_by_janaweijers-db45ba7
Back to top Go down
Evil Evie

Evil Evie

Sagittarius Pig

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptyFri Nov 17, 2017 12:13 pm

I'm tired of the characters having empty far away looks in there eyes. One of the reasons why issue six is my fave cover. Still this is nice, is less abstract then some of the others.

Final Quest #24 Wolfso10
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptyFri Nov 17, 2017 5:29 pm

jaRf wrote:
Just repeating myself: It's stated in the FAQ or some interview that Wendy would like not ot have deadlines of regular comic release dates and work with less pressure. That probably means she'll explore other fileds, too, but likely do some ElfQuest once in a while.
So I would not say it's the definite last EQ.
I'd like to see this! Very Happy

Final Quest #24 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
jaRf

jaRf

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptySat Nov 18, 2017 1:13 pm

Embala wrote:
I'd like to see this! Very Happy

See what? The follow-ups after FQ, or the statement? Wink

elfquest.com wrote:

from
http://elfquest.com/faq/

What’s next after Final Quest?

That remains to be seen. On the one hand, Wendy has said after the conclusion of Final Quest, she will have been writing and drawing comics for over 40 years and no longer wishes to work under the deadline pressures necessary to produce an ongoing comic series. However, we know that the Elfquest story continues into the future of the World of Two Moons (as evidenced by Jink and The Rebels). Richard and Wendy stand ready to serve as story and art advisors on future Elfquest projects. Stay tuned – who knows what the future holds?
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptySat Nov 18, 2017 8:32 pm

I vaguly remember this statement, jaRf. Smile Seen it either when you brought it up first ... or will skimming EQ.com.

And I was talking about the follow-ups Wink ... would truely like to see!

Final Quest #24 Banner15
Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptySun Nov 19, 2017 1:18 am

so we can tell, that the heart core (Cutter's hard core Razz ) is going to make it, so is Strongbow. Then there is Ember, Teir, Rayek and Dart. The other figures are maybe Mender and Tyleet? I think there are two other elves with longer, flowing hair. Oh, and Two-Edge.

I'm not the biggest fan of these "Redlance holding up an hand offer of leaves"-pictures. Maybe Wendy is going for a "classical painting"-vibe, but I think it just looks weird. Who would ever stand (or kneel) like this in real life? Unless s/he was actually offer something to a deity. I'm not that bothered by those "Nightfall blankly staring at the off-screen arrow she just shot off"-pictures, though.

Overall the cover is ok. Not great, but also not atrocious.

So, after the disaster that was FiQu, do you really want more EQ stories by the Pinis?

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptySun Nov 19, 2017 2:16 am

Miss Gillespie wrote:
 So, after the disaster that was FiQu, do you really want more EQ stories by the Pinis?
I'd be fine with more stories, really, as long as it's not set in the goddamn future series.

Final Quest #24 Tumblr_oizli2hnXr1sda8vao1_1280
'We're all broken, in different ways, in varying degrees.'
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptySun Nov 19, 2017 5:23 am

Miss Gillespie wrote:
I do.
Not wanting it urgently. Not wishing and begging for it desperately. But I'd welcome each story that follows - be it by the Pinis or other authors. Give each of it a new chance to pull me into the world of EQ.

I'd dream of stories in the style of early Hideden Years issues - spotlighting a single character or event. Well known elves - or new ones. Happening in the wild past or in future times ... or filling gaps inbetween.

Picking and embracing what I like - and putting the rest in a rarely opened folder.

Final Quest #24 Banner15
Back to top Go down
Anduinel

Anduinel

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptySun Nov 19, 2017 10:58 am

Miss Gillespie wrote:

Nope. Like I've said before, I'm just going to pretend like the stories in this universe ended with the anthology series.
Back to top Go down
Josine

Josine

Sagittarius Pig

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptyMon Nov 20, 2017 6:09 pm

The cover looks like this will be an epilogue?

Final Quest #24 ZL1JzY2
Previously known as Zinegirl
Back to top Go down
http://zinegirl.deviantart.com/art/ElfQuest-Family-Tree-SPOILERS
manga

manga

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptyFri Nov 24, 2017 1:38 pm

Miss Gillespie wrote:

I want an end to "Rogue's Curse." Even if I hate it. Then at least I can walk away.
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptySat Nov 25, 2017 4:58 pm

Me too

Davrille

Davrille

Virgo Horse

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptyThu Nov 30, 2017 5:06 am

Miss Gillespie wrote:

Yes.

Blair's Forevergreen and the Kahvi series were horrible and ultimately forgettable. Cherryh, Abbey, and all the other writers they used just never came closer. No fan author, either.

"Ain't nothing like the real thing."
Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2017 1:09 am

So the majority of you want more stories, even though what you got in FiQu wasn't exactly satisfying?

I think the problem with the other authors is/was that the Pinis never had (let?) some one with talent create content. Marvel and DC both had different authors and artists do stories in their respective universes and from what I hear* it works for both publishers; even though tone and art can differ quite a bit. Maybe the problem with other creators for EQ is, that us, the customers, want pure EQ like done by Wendy in OQ. A different creator would have to mimic Wendy in style and storytelling, but an artists would like to do his or her own thing. That's maybe even the problem with FiQu, it strayed too far aways from what was OQ (= TimTam)

*I don't read super hero comics, with the exception of the Alan Moore ones

Bluetree

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2017 5:13 am

Perhaps the stories being wished for are no longer feasible. OQ was a long time ago, and people/creators change over time...

Also, a big part of what makes(...made) EQ work and stand out from other comics was the focus on aesthetics and detail. Strongbow has a different build than Cutter; Nightfall's jawline is very distinct from Dewshine's. So yes, it's fair to expect any artists wanting to make a well-received contribution to bear those details in mind. There's still room within those parameters to add one's own look to the content.

Artistic styles such as every single elf body being modeled after a 12-year-old boy's and having yard-long eyelashes (and every female additionally having balloon boobs) is a slap in the face to that EQ aesthetic. Wendy took many pains, over many years, to establish-- and call attention to-- distinguishing features and a certain look. It's a beautiful legacy, even if she doesn't seem terribly fussed about following it herself anymore.

Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2017 10:18 am

Most comic book artists are not Wendy Pini and that still doesn't make them Barry Blair. What I want to say is: there are good (yes, even better) artists out there than Wendy, they just don't happen to make the artwork for EQ. (maybe that's a case of social comparison bias ?).

Also, if I were to create a story for EQ, it would probably be dark and depressing. That'd be fine for fan fiction, but such a story would -most likely- not be very popular with the fans if it was a canon story.

The "brand" Elfquest is strictly defined. That's not attractive for creators, who want to express themselves freely outside of the established brand. My guess is, that that's (one of) the reason(s) why we ended with subpar storylines (and artists)

jaRf

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2017 11:24 am

Bluetree wrote:
So yes, it's fair to expect any artists wanting to make a well-received contribution to bear those details in mind. There's still room within those parameters to add one's own look to the content.

Yes. Smile
When I do something EQ related I try to keep that in mind and check references. There were some of these face shape studies online and in the Gatherum(s) iirc., e.g. heart shape, apple shape etc. for the faces. It still isn't easy to get it done right. But I am no pro-artists either. And some day you just want to have things done and finished.
That's also the problem with fan-art. You want to create e.g. a certain mood, have a facial expression - but still you want the character to be as recognizable as possible, and stay relatively canon (so something that is fiction but possible in the world of two moons).
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 EmptyFri Dec 01, 2017 11:39 pm

FWIW I enjoyed the "Wild Hunt" stories by Lorraine Reyes. Her art was distinctive but harmonized well with Wendy's established style, IMO. Hers was the only art my eyes accepted as "whole" despite the differences. Wendy seems to have enjoyed/approved the work of Brandon McKinney but his stuff was missing some of the... I dunno.. fluidity? that really says "Elves" to me. His humans were fine but the elves looked simply ugly. He very nicely contributed a piece of art for me to use on RASH once upon a time* so I feel bad for not liking "Rogue's Curse" more.

Oh, oh! One of the very first "Rogue's Curse" stories was in this very interesting b/w with no grey style - seemed almost like woodblock or something - and I enjoyed that very much too.

(*I cringe now for asking it of him... doesn't seem fair to do to an artist even if I was just a college student running a fan page.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Final Quest #24 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 Empty

Back to top Go down

Final Quest #24
Page 1 of 12Go to page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next