Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.

Go down 
+3
TrollHammer
Lunakat
Tymber
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Tymber

Tymber

Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. Empty
PostSubject: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 1:18 am

So when I log on with my PC - the site (and the posts) are all normal. Oddly, when I view it with my mobile device - certain words turn into "advertising links" (and it's the same link for the same words). So like in the June Grab bag - I posted about "Sea Elves" - and those two words together - turn into a link for an ad (if you click it/tap it). Same thing happened with the word "Barrier" and a few other words. Very odd.

Mobile Device is: iPhone 6, iOS (whatever the most current is, totally forgot the version at the moment).
And the site is being viewed in - the view that looks like the PC (the mobile site for the forum has a very basic look too, haven't tested if it appears there).

Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 1:30 am

Well... if this is a responsive site.. it should have an option for how it appears when viewed on a mobile device. Theoretically, this should be able to be turned off... so that the web browser version is the only version... and the same thing we see on a computer, we see on a mobile phone.

Until and if that happens... I would suggest going to the upper right corner and clicking on the triangle in the black square -- then selecting the option of "classic version." This will give you the same thing on your phone that you see on your computer.

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 10:46 am

Interestingly enough, it's true, in the classic version the text does not appear as links for ads.

Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 10:59 am

Because the "classic" version is the version you see on a computer. It's not altered for a mobile device. That variation just needs to be turned off.

TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 12:55 pm

I get the links every once in a while randomly on random devices. Redhead was having it happen to her as well (or a variant thereof). Generally I haven't taken the time to figure out the mobile version on my phone so I don't have any experience with it, but I do have the occasional issue with ads that do load (via 'classic version') detecting my android device and creating the 'you have a virus' spam popup. For a while I was having an issue I believed to be related where, about once a month, I'd see a series of banners repeat, and within a few days of seeing a particular one, I could not log on or at times even view the site without deleting cookies (which on my phone means resetting EVERYTHING in the browser, which means I have to set up all the other web sites, passwords, etc).

I've bashed heads with computers for so long, I just make do and work around it.

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 2:30 pm

I get the links randomly - on the comp.

Nibblet

Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 5:35 pm

Are you logged in when you see them? I've got adblocker on every device I use so I don't see them. But before I did, logging in usually stopped them popping up. And using classic version like Luna said

Zebbed as the First Lady of Naughtyniceness!
Cast as Petalwing in the EQ Forums Movie
Dubbed Google Queen by Kindredsoul
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 5:54 pm

Is there a "classic version" for a desktop? Wink I'm always logged in.

Doesn't really bother me, Nibblet - it's just strange. And I wanted to mention that it is not only a "mobile" syndrome.

Nibblet

Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 6:01 pm

I just disabled the text ad's for visitors, but that is as much as the forum hosts allow us to do. I hope this helps a little bit! ^^

Back to top Go down
TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyMon Jun 22, 2015 6:26 pm

Sorry to get on my soap box, but its just strange to me that advertisers actually think that being annoying, harassing people, and whatever actually works. Of course there's the flip side that the site hosters figure that there is a level of annoyance people will put up with before the move, and if they ride that line its all profit.

Oh well...

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 7:02 pm

Am so in agreement with you.

Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyWed Jul 01, 2015 11:08 am

I thought most people use adblocker these days? I do understand that ads help to finance websites, nevertheless...

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyMon Jul 06, 2015 9:02 pm

Adblocker is on my list of things to get, but I have been putting off getting a google account (for various reasons I wont go into right now).

This has, however, probably saved me from other issues: several times ads have been trying to load apps and facebook crap... but as I dont have either set up it only gets to the "add account" page.

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 3:29 am

I use firefox, which doesn't require you to own any account to use the applications :/

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 2:54 pm

Today Im having the same trouble I had like a year ago, some page refreshes and 80% of postings from my phone lock the window, requiring me to close the window, and open a new one (navigating to main page, etc). Havent had it happen where I lose a post yet, but it can be frustrating. About 20% of the time I will need to close the whole browser and restart (though that may be another issue, as some other sites do it too, jist not as frequently).

Android 4.2.2, chrome browser, just cleared cookies yesterday.

Also, I still have "sandboxed processes" eating my battery when on this site. Im guessing its either an ad banner or the "latest topics" scroll, which is handy, but I have to close the site when Im not posting or my battery will burn up fast (like 3-6 hours without the browser showing, but as long as FTH is open inside the browssr, these sandboxed processes keep running and eat my battery, and there is usually 1-3 of them at any given time)

I have screenshots of the battery screen if anyone wants to see it. (Just took a screenshot as it is of this posting).

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 8:38 pm

I'm not a techy buff, but it sounds to me those are probably phone related issues, Hammer. I know with my old phone, being on sites or FB or whatever online drained my battery in no time flat. I also had major lagging problems

My new phone hasn't any problems, but it ALSO updates frequently, like a PC. Maybe your browser (be it Google, Firefox, or whatever) needs an update?

Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. Santa_10Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. Downlo23Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. Av_cut10Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. 2020_k13
Compliments go to Embala for bringing a British cat and an American dog together via Photoshop!
chibi cutter compliments of katcombs!
Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
Nibblet

Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 8:43 pm

I'd agree with that, Kin. Try switching to the mobile version, there are no scrolling things or ad banners. It isn't as pretty but I find it doesn't drain my battery quickly (windows phone, updates when I feckin tell it to and not a second sooner XDD)

Back to top Go down
Nibblet

Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 8:44 pm

Why, yes. I have been drinking since you ask >.>
Its the 5th of November and I'm in England. What a Face

Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 8:54 pm

I caught Poppy in the act >___>

Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. Cat10

Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. Santa_10Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. Downlo23Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. Av_cut10Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. 2020_k13
Compliments go to Embala for bringing a British cat and an American dog together via Photoshop!
chibi cutter compliments of katcombs!
Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
Nibblet

Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyThu Nov 05, 2015 8:57 pm

Sassynonymous XDD

Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 9:39 pm

Link colors suddenly look brighter or is it me?

Nibblet

Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 10:18 pm

visited links are brighter blue, is that what you mean?

Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 10:21 pm

Nibblet wrote:
visited links are brighter blue, is that what you mean?

No; it was all the links to each of the forums; but now it's back to the darker color.

Nibblet

Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptyFri Nov 06, 2015 10:39 pm

Ah, right. Then I have no idea XD
I am absolutely no help whatsoever Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. EmptySat Nov 07, 2015 5:08 am

Nibblet wrote:
Ah, right. Then I have no idea XD
I am absolutely no help whatsoever Rolling Eyes Embarassed

No, you're all over it. Smile I am betting it was a weird browser glitch on my end, because, you, my dear, have always rocked.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.   Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device. Empty

Back to top Go down

Something odd when viewing the site on my mobile device.
Page 1 of 1