Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come

Go down 
+13
Anaid
faeriegirl
Redhead Ember
Paranthropus
Lunakat
Kindredsoul
sun girl
Embala
Anduinel
Miss Gillespie
jaRf
manga
G0lden
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anduinel

Anduinel

Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come Empty
PostSubject: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyThu Mar 01, 2018 7:39 am

From The Hollywood Reporter:

Wendy Pini wrote:
The mid-90s were the period where we worked all of this out. We were publishing a series of comics that we published under the umbrella “Future Quest,” and these were just imaginations, and speculations, about what might have happened in the World of Two Moons after the elves seemingly disappeared. There are definitely future stories to explore, even with some of the main characters [of the core storyline].

So the Ostrander comics are being retconned out as "imaginations and speculations" too. Fabulous.

I'm really not interested in more of Wendy's take on EQ right now. We'll see how it looks in five years, or however long it takes for this to see the light of day.
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyThu Mar 01, 2018 3:06 pm

Thank you for sharing this, Anduinel. Smile

I understand it the way "All can be, nothing must be."

I'll wait. And if there will be more - I know I'll be here. I know myself well.

Last edited by Embala on Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyThu Mar 01, 2018 4:39 pm

Interesting, there may be more. I'll believe it when I see it.

manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyFri Mar 02, 2018 12:04 am

I was thinking today that FutureQuest had been retconned out. Ahdri's spirit isn't in Sarazen anymore and if the little palace was used to speed the growth of a new Father Tree from Cutter's body then it's not there to be found either.
Back to top Go down
jaRf

jaRf

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyMon Mar 05, 2018 6:50 pm

They never said they'd stop with FQ24. (iirc. in the official FAQ)
It's more like Wendy doesn't want to have deadlines and all that pressure. Maybe they will fill up the story holes now and go on with some loose ends, and do some more relaxed storytelling. Would be nice.
Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptySat Mar 10, 2018 2:13 am

Searcher and the Sword was published in 2004, we've experienced 14 years of sub par Elfquest, do you think it will go back to it's old heights? All this talk of "4 decades of Elfquest", yeah, about 50% of that was not good, just think about this

Anduinel

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptySat Mar 10, 2018 11:35 am

Miss Gillespie wrote:
Searcher and the Sword was published in 2004, we've experienced 14 years of sub par Elfquest, do you think it will go back to it's old heights? All this talk of "4 decades of Elfquest", yeah, about 50% of that was not good, just think about this

And another good chunk of it is being actively retconned.
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptySat Mar 10, 2018 2:47 pm

I would still welcome more stories. More art - if only to spark my own imagination.

And I can re-retcon what was changed to the worse. In my mind Always. ^^

sun girl

sun girl

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptySat Mar 10, 2018 3:43 pm

Ugh, no thanks. I took the "Final" of Final Quest as an implicit promise to stop. Please just stop.
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptySat Mar 10, 2018 4:35 pm

Sadly, "Final" means nothing in the fantasy realm of things, sun girl..... Just look at the Final Fantasy series.... Suspect They're in 15 and still going

Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come Santa_10Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come Downlo23Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come Av_cut10Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come 2020_k13
Compliments go to Embala for bringing a British cat and an American dog together via Photoshop!
chibi cutter compliments of katcombs!
Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyWed Mar 14, 2018 2:17 am

I liked Searcher and the Sword.

But Final Quest was not well thought out.

You know... I kind of would have had more respect for them if they didn't keep insisting they hadn't changed their minds about anything and that this story was planned from the beginning. It so very obviously was not-- and they retconned a lot.

Anduinel

Anduinel

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 9:44 am

Lunakat wrote:
I liked Searcher and the Sword.

But Final Quest was not well thought out.

You know... I kind of would have had more respect for them if they didn't keep insisting they hadn't changed their minds about anything and that this story was planned from the beginning. It so very obviously was not-- and they retconned a lot.

Agreed. If they weren't going to respect the integrity of the story, they should have at least respected the intelligence of the readers.
Back to top Go down
Paranthropus

Paranthropus

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 3:50 pm

I've come to a conclusion about Wendy's art. She is a very good artist, but not a great one. She has trouble with perspective and foreshortening. Case in point: Nightfall's hand on the cover of #24. I mean...that perspective is way off. It's just wonky. And there's really no excuse for it. There is photo reference everywhere online. And if you can't find the exact pose, get a friend to pose for you and take a picture. I've noticed issues with perspective throughout the run of EQ.

Anyways, don't get me wrong, I do love most of Wendy's art. No one else can draw EQ like her. Her art is what drew me to EQ in the first place. But yeah. She has some weaknesses as an illustrator that she's never really been able to overcome in her career for some reason.
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyTue Mar 20, 2018 6:40 pm

Anduinel wrote:
....... they should have at least respected the intelligence of the readers.

This

Exactly

Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come Santa_10Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come Downlo23Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come Av_cut10Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come 2020_k13
Compliments go to Embala for bringing a British cat and an American dog together via Photoshop!
chibi cutter compliments of katcombs!
Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 1:01 am

@Luna: I agree they could've been honest about the changes in direction, but how could they admit it without "loosing face"? 'Hey folks, over the course of decades Elfquest developed, grew and changed and we developed and grew and changed with the story. So about 10 years ago Wendy had a brilliant idea for the ending of Elfquest that was totally different from what she had originally in mind'

@Kindred: But each Final Fantasy instalment is one enclosed story (at least until 10, then I stopped playing), from what I can see now they're just milking the name

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 7:25 pm

The Final Quest was obviously the end of Cutter's story. It was his Final Quest.

However, there are millions of other stories waiting to happen, and a very important question that needs answering; What the heck is the name of Cutter's and Leetah's son?
Probably not "Chad"...

Now, if someone could please tell me what Final Quest has retconned...

Miss Gillespie wrote:
@Luna: I agree they could've been honest about the changes in direction, but how could they admit it without "loosing face"? 'Hey folks, over the course of decades Elfquest developed, grew and changed and we developed and grew and changed with the story. So about 10 years ago Wendy had a brilliant idea for the ending of Elfquest that was totally different from what she had originally in mind'

Wasn't what she originally had in mind to just write the Original Quest, and have Skywise die along the way?
I think they've stated that the ending - Cutter's death - was thought up about 20 years ago.
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyWed Mar 21, 2018 10:25 pm

To me, FQ has retconned the fabric of EQ. Previously the stories supported embodied life as a good thing. Babies too. FQ seems to directly contradict Timmain's OQ explanation that the High Ones had found the "little deaths" peaceful but had ultimately chosen a life seasoned with experience. And we've gone from Parenthood as something that is rare and sought after to "eh, I just don't feel like it."

Dart and Kimo also had a pretty deep relationship that got minimized.

The "Rebels" storyline had them finding The Little Palace in the ruins of Sorrow's End, guarded by the spirit of Ahdri. Unless something ELSE happens to trap her on the Bridge mortally wounded with it, that whole storyline is now gone.
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 11:28 am

Some elves - mainly Ekolin, and since he was a Glider it really shouldn't come as a surprise - have chosen disembodied life, the rest are still very much considered embodied life a good thing.
As for babies, Venka seemed pretty happy to become a mother, Cutter and Leetah sure seemed happy about their new kid coming, and I've no reason to believe Skywise and Timmain weren't happy about becoming parents. It was just Teir and Ember who chose to wait.

Dart and Kimo; I just don't see how their relationship has in any way been minimized. Sure, they spent most of the time apart, because Kimo also was really close with Shuna, but that doesn't need to mean they didn't care about each other.

And "Rebels"; well, that's one of those storylines written during the 90es with no influence from the Pinis. I take anything written by them as higher canon that stuff written by others. Though, someone on Facebook had a really awful theory; the Rebels find a body in thorn wrapstuff, right? Maybe it's Yun... I mean; she would be dead by that time...

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 2:02 pm

Mmm, no, that's not the way it looks to me. They've gone from "embodied life is good" to "Eh, it's nothing more than dropping a feather." But in a weird way that's kind of halfway between both.

Cutter doesn't seem to care at ALL about his coming child. It's not even a blip in the thoughts we are shown.

I'm glad you enjoyed it, Redhead. But I just feel lost and confused with the directions they've taken.
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 5:18 pm

Embodied life is good, but when death comes you accept it as part of embodied life. That attitude was present all the way back at the ending of the Original Quest, remember Clearbrook's line? "Death, when it comes, is neither friend nor enemy. It is."

Here

As for Cutter; he was pretty happy about his coming child, but when he was dying he knew there was no point in dwelling on the fact that his child would grow up fatherless. Besides, he was probably pretty content with the knowledge that the cub would grow up with a loving family either way.

And I don't think they've taken any directions that veers off what Elfquest is about.

Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 5:32 pm

I feel like manga. the FQ "story" managed to make me indifferent about life or death or birth in this tale. Because it feels like the Elves themselves are indifferent about it. Nothing means something anymore. Sad Not really.
In case this was intended differently it simply has not worked at all for me.

I'm glad it works different for you, Redhead. Smile

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 5:37 pm

You mean to tell me everybody wasn't absolutely horrified at the deaths of Moonshade, Kimo, and Cutter?

Back to top Go down
faeriegirl

faeriegirl

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 5:44 pm

The way I read it, the death of Ruffel had a shocking effect, but no mourning was visible, really. Krim’s death was mourned a bit more.

Sadly, the death of Moonshade and Kimo both were shown as a shock, but I cannot really remember any mourning... which makes it feel like the elves were indifferent to it.
For Cutter’s death, there was mourning shown.

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 5:46 pm

for a moment ... but it's all like sheding a feather

For me it translates into "No big deal!" storywise. And as a reader who is supposed to "howl ant hunt and live" with the characters ... it makes their fate meaningless for me. :/

faeriegirl

faeriegirl

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come EmptyThu Mar 22, 2018 5:47 pm

Indeed.

PostSubject: Re: Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come   Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come Empty

Back to top Go down

Wendy Pini Hints At More Elfquest to Come
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next