Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread

Go down 
+14
Embala
jaRf
Redhead Ember
wingthing
manga
Miss Gillespie
kathleen3.0
Multimedea
Fairyring
Elwing
KR Wordgazer
PCoquelin
Kindredsoul
Davrille
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Elwing

Elwing

Cancer Dog

9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread Empty
PostSubject: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 12:18 pm

With all our old character threads lost I thought I'd have a start at making some replacements here.

So, LQ #8 is out, and the elf we love to hate or hate to love finally shows up. What did we learn from this? Spoilers!

spoiler!:

spoiler!:

spoiler!:

Addition:
Embala wrote:
Rayek of the golden eyes and brown skin! ... this was Rayek's thread, opened by manga, on the original Scroll of Colors. Follow old discussions and see fanart from earlier times.

Visit Rayek's bio page on Elfquest.com.

Last edited by Elwing on Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyMon Mar 30, 2015 1:32 pm

The time issue you mentioned, Elwing, is certainly going to get confusing now they're global! I can't t tell if it's just the passing of time being indicated or just geographic location!

Though Rayek left them in Djunsland, didn't he?
Back to top Go down
PCoquelin

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyMon Mar 30, 2015 1:51 pm

If you followed the whole errand arc of Rayek's story, you are aware that, at some point, he was informed of the Palace's departure...

...and he stayed behind.

The real question is...

9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread Rayekw10

What did HE learn?

Elwing

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyMon Mar 30, 2015 3:05 pm

Well I don't think it is a time issue, but a location issue. All these characters are contacted at the same time, but they are on different points on the globe, and it's day on one side, and night on the other.
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 12:57 pm

PCoquelin, it is my hope that "FutureQuest" will also extend past the events portrayed in "Rogue's Curse."

It's my only hope, really.
Back to top Go down
Davrille

Davrille

Virgo Horse

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 8:34 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if Wendy decided that all the Rogue's Whatever stuff was no longer canon, and Rayek manages to take off in the Palace, with or without playing jailer for Winnowill.

Because I think the whole "Winnowill must be contained because the dead don't judge!" is stupid.
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 9:09 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with you, Danville. However, Richard said that was absolutely not going to happen when I mentioned it on the forum. I would be delighted if he was lying but though they like to lead us astray, they've not flat-out lied about their work.
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 9:13 pm

*Davrille. Sorry about that.
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 9:33 pm

I'm just going to quote something I said way back when the Final Quest discussion started here... its a bit too long to retype.

Quote :
But back to the point in question...

Now if I were Ember? I would have given the Djunn dude a deadpan look of boredom after he shot off that gun and found some way for my sending to get through his dense human head of his with ONE solitary image.

Rayek

And that day when he blasted the shit out that mountain with just ONE blow of his magic, creating a MASSIVE ravine that separated the Go Backs from the Palace. Imagine the damage he can do with TWO blasts... THREE.  And that was back in the day when he was far younger and still discovering the depth of his powers.

Makes me think of the Walking Dead memes going around between "The Governor", "I got a tank!!" and "Rick" *deadpan look* We got Daryl... ((for those who don't know the show... Daryl "the redneck archer" DID take out the tank all on his own too))

I'll admit, I wasn't a Rayek fan in the beginning, but after he learned some very hard life lessons, (especially swallowing his pride, Miss Ember), he became the better for it, and by far, much more stronger.

But wait, Kindred! You're not taking the fact that he's caught up still holding Winnowill's spirit in check!"

Oh hogwash on that too.
Here we have the Palace of the HIGH ONES. An alien structure full of magic AND other spirits of the past, AND a living High One AND MANY other powerful "living" magic users.  But I'm expected to believe that none of that can help ease that burden off of him? Sure, Winni broke free once before, but look how long it took her to do it.  

Slap her cranky ass in another crystal cell.  Give Rayek 10 minutes to blast Djun asshole to one of the 2 moons, move Ember and her tribe to another woodland sanctuary, Pass go and collect $200.

THEN find a way using the Palace, the spirits, and all the marvelous elfin magic to give Winni a nice long nap of eternity.

But seriously.... none of this makes sense to me.  They have an ally that can blast the entire human city to smithereens, and Ember is freaking out over a gun and what it can do?  And they can find Rayek if they want to with Sunstream's oh so wondrous "elfin GPS" ability....

So with all this various forms of elfin magic, the Palace, and an elf who can practically shoot fire canons out of his hands and split a mountain,.... the elves are all like "Oh my gosh the humans are more dangerous with a boomboom stick!!!"

Suspect

I'm still sticking with my initial thoughts here... I may be a hard core Cutter fan, but I'm not stupid. Rayek is badassery. Point blank. Give that guy 5 minutes and he'll have every damn arrogant, pompous human on the planet of two moons running for hills

And I actually hope that happens. I would so laugh my ass off imagining Rayek holding out a stick pegged full of marshmallows, hovering over the big blazing fire of the Djun city while wearing shades.

...... yes, I said that out loud <__<

Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 10:16 pm

Well, in Ember's defense she wasn't there when he did that nor has she been around any who was... Well, Treestump and Clearbrook I guess but I can't imagine them all having deep discussion if it by Sending for her to get the image to share, even if the Djun could "see" it.

And, well, awesome as he is, Rayek is but one elf. The gun is a tool that any human can use. If Angrif can get it copied, then it can potentially be in the hand of any and every human they confront. Rayek can only be in one place at a time.

But no quibbles on the Winnie thing. Isn't Lord Voll's spirit awake yet? There's at least a chance he could influence her, never mind what the spirits of every elf in existence ever, including the High Ones, could manage. Surely her mother and father are in there somewhere. There's got to be a solution.

I mean, at the least let Rayek stay in the Palace while the other spirits try to help her. How did we go from from the revelation of "Poor mad, tortured Winnowill" to "let her stew." Seriously, if someone had had the presence of mind to say "Hey, Rayek, while we try to figure this cry out, maybe we should try to find what Tyldak did with Winnowill? "High Ones be with my suffering sister" is all well and good, Leetah, but more to the point is finishing what you started.
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 10:34 pm

okokok.... so maybe Ember wouldn't have known of *that* particular situation, but still... HER FATHER does  Suspect  
Pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty sure Clearbrook and Treestump shared that bit of intel  Razz

And ok, he maaaaaay be just *one elf* but still....he DID blast the s#$t out of a mountain. That's more than enough magic to take out the dude's castle alone, let alone a city if need be.

And I was under the assumption that the pistol hasn't been "manufactured" yet, so blow up the dude BEFORE it can potentially be in the hand of any and every human they confront.

*gives manga a shake of the shoulders* Commmmoonnnnnnn I'm practically glorifying Rayek here! *laughs* agree with me before I sprinkle some Beetlejuice dust over you <__<

Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyTue Mar 31, 2015 10:41 pm

No dust necessary, Kindred. I thoroughly enjoyed your laudable lauding of Rayek's awesomeness. ;D
Back to top Go down
jaRf

jaRf

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 5:42 am

Of course I have to pay a little tribute here. But for the moment I better refrain from any discussions due to a lack of time. :/

Well, from the latest FQ ( 8 ) it seems he wasn't so sure how much he'd be welcomed but I guess his kind of step-daddy Ekuar will get things managed. Smile
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 8:34 am

Foster father is the term for Ekuar. He's only Rayek's stepfather in Wingthing's Alternaverse, where Ekuar and Jarrah have lifemated. If you can call him a step-parent when the "child" in question is an adult with children of their own.
Back to top Go down
KR Wordgazer

KR Wordgazer

Scorpio Cat

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 1:56 pm

One thing, though. When Rayek blasted that chasm that drove the Go-Backs from the Palace, didn't he have the combined spirits of all the deceased Blue Mountain Gliders augmenting his natural power? I don't think he'd be capable of doing something that catastrophic without them.

manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 3:05 pm

Yeah, but now he potentially has the Palace with not just the Gliders but the High Ones and all the other dead elves, ents and etc.
Back to top Go down
Elwing

Elwing

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 4:25 pm

The huge power peak seems rather connected to the spirits of the dead Blue Mountain elves, so I doubt he could repeat the feat. And if it could be repeated because of the influence of the palace, it may turn out to be ill advised- he seemed to have a serious mental stability issue going on at that time...
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyMon Apr 13, 2015 5:02 pm

The theme of magic in "EQ" has been for some time that WHY you do it is as important as what you do. So Rayek could do the big blast again without necessarily being unstable, in the right circumstance. (Oh, say, someone shooting Venka...)
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 1:12 am

manga wrote:
Yeah, but now he potentially has the Palace with not just the Gliders but the High Ones and all the other dead elves, ents and etc.

That and the fact of the passing of time. Much of it still remains a mystery when it comes to Rayek. Sure there's been a few stories of his lonesome travels, and some flashbacks... But take into consideration how many years have passed... and how much he's hopefully learned and strengthened himself on his own

Because he *did* have multiple powers before ever knowing the Palace ever existed in the beginning. He could freeze anything just by a single stare. His floating power enhanced on it's own with Savah's training, and his own training before he ever stepped foot in the Palace.

Sure he could fly (and make the Palace fly) once he was within the home of the High Ones, but my point is... Rayek was advancing and strengthening his powers on his own FIRST. Proving his potential was his own to become stronger with his powers before the Palace gave him a whopping boost.

I find it hard to believe that after that "kabloo'y" scene with the Go Backs, Rayek never gave it much thought again. He got a taste of his potential. And he's goal driven. Who's to say he hasn't spent past years testing or training himself, even without the influence of the Palace and the spirits within?

The other thing I take into consideration is....

Whether there's any lingering hostilities with Rayek, whether he has them, or any of the other elves have them, they don't hate each other. Now if he got wind (or a sending) of Angrif's new toy and what it does, I still can't help but see Rayek being like "Oh hell no... I don't think so" about it.

A human... who thinks he's stronger than any elf because of a boom boom stick?  Suspect <-----*foresees Rayek's reaction to be this*

With what HE can do even without the Palace giving him a "x100 mana boost"?

I know I went a little wild with the "Just blow up the city" example, but seriously... All Rayek needs is 5 minutes.
5 minutes to blow up the ceiling to Angrif's little throne room...
Land in a dramatic display that only Rayek can...
Give that dashing golden stare of his that leaves Angrif looking like a deer in headlights...
Rayek walks up to the guy and takes his new "toy", whacks the idiot in the head with it, and leaves in all his whipping hair flare.

ok.... maybe blow up the barracks too JUST to prove to Angrif what he's actually up against! Razz We'll just say Winni told him to >___>

Sorry for the lengthy blahblahblah, but I still firmly believe Rayek has achieved far more than he's given credit for. I think he's advanced his potential on his own, because that's what he's always striven for (with or without the burden of Winnowill)

If he hasn't needed the aid of the Palace and it's spirits to help him contain Winnowill... he doesn't need it for his powers to become stronger on their own.

It just takes time for one's magic become stronger without the Palace. And Rayek has had plenty of time....

I hope I made sense Embarassed

Back to top Go down
Fairyring

Fairyring

Taurus Cat

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 8:39 am

Good reflections...

...will Rayek ever find piece?

Or will he stay dark inside like that:

9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread Rayek411  Crying or Very sad

It was heartbreaking to me that he even tortured himself with collecting Winnowills evil soul  Shocked ...but that's typical for Rayek to endure it all...although the power of all the High Ones gave him quite megalomania. But no more, he learned from it.

Very lightly step around,
Tip-Toe as you pass,
Last night Fairies frolicked there
And they're sleeping somewhere near.

~
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 9:34 am

You made sense just fine, Kindred. Smile

I wonder if he'll ever find a place where he feels truly, warmly welcomed. I know the Sun Folk gave him a big welcome-home party in "Kings" but it's more than that that I'm thinking of. Some of it is his own outlook - what kind of welcome would he truly accept - and some of it is how much the group truly accepts and understands him. The Sun Folk Feast was more of a hero-worship thing; if he felt outside and above them for stunning and minor floating magic, how much more distance did he feel with the Palace dispelling the anti-magic miasma and fueling his talents?
Back to top Go down
PCoquelin

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 12:13 pm

Keep in mind that Rayek is a wandering time bomb.

If he dies...

9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread PC261_WinnowillEQ26Sig4

...all elves suffer.

manga

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 12:48 pm

But why, PCoquelin? Why is Winnowill the only elf to be a danger dead? Haken, Kureel, Door... others have been dangerous and died and nothing bad happened. And why can't oh, say the combined might of every elf, ent and etc. who has died keep Winnie in check? Surely other spirits who don't need to eat, sleep and etc would be better suited to round-the-clock guarding.
Back to top Go down
jaRf

jaRf

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 12:58 pm

So foster be it then. I just had heard that term iirc. during Drawn Together or Southpark.

Rayek will be careful with blasting anything - this might be the moment of a loss of control and her chance to break loose.
Also he'll be careful bringing her close to a source of power I guess.
Back to top Go down
PCoquelin

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 1:01 pm

9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread Thumbs13

You just asked a very interesting question, here, manga...

Right after her death, Winnowill's spirit was captured by Rayek, before she could get control of the Palace.

A loooong time after that, when Rayek finally gets one remaining Shard, she TRIES her best to reach the Palace... and she gets DENIED access to it by the accumulated spirits there.

Winnowill's case is now EXACTLY that of a contained ghost.

But contained only as long as...

9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread PC737_RayekAsTheTower

...Rayek doesn't die and keeps her spirit in check.

PostSubject: Re: Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread   9 - Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread Empty

Back to top Go down

Rayek the Wandering Rogue's thread
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next