Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Redlance: A Treeshaper, nothing more and nothing less

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Wiseshaman

Wiseshaman

Redlance: A Treeshaper, nothing more and nothing less - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Redlance: A Treeshaper, nothing more and nothing less - Chapter 24   Redlance: A Treeshaper, nothing more and nothing less - Page 2 EmptyFri Apr 05, 2024 7:33 am

Time now for the next chapter in the story about our Treeshaper, the treeshaper tells his tale of fighting the the Scarred One...

Chapter 24 – And what is your profession?

Again, the treeshaper didn’t answer the question, kept silent as he stared into the deep dark pools of his tanner’s eyes. She didn’t break from the connection between them either, she didn’t dare he could tell, but Pike had no qualms speaking up for his brother in all but blood.

“Yes, he meant Crescent, but he also meant you Newstar and he meant Suntop and Ember too.”

“Me?” Suntop asked.

Still Redlance kept quiet, a small smile on his face as Moonshade looked deep into his eyes. Both refusing to break this link. Out among the tribe they waited for a response to the magic user’s question and Pike replied to it as well. “Yes you Suntop, your still a young one. Your father barely made it through you being taken by Rayek in the Palace, but what if it was your father who he took and your mother was the one left behind, losing you and your Sire?”

“It would have crushed me.” Leetah whispered as a shiver ran down her back. She had imagined more than once of the roles reversing like Pike suggested and each time her heart broke. From her side Cutter leaned in and hugged her as Redlance squeezed her hand giving the healer reassurance and love, but never looking away from Moonshade.

A somberness swept through the tribe and Pike could see it, so he set about fixing it. “Do you know why Redlance always stays back and protects the cubs Suntop? Dart?”

“Because he always does, father knows that his duty.” Ember answered.

“And where did Cutter learn that?” Pike asked quickly.

“He’s been the cubs protector since before I took my top-knot. He looked after me and Nightfall and Skywise, all the cubs. He did it without asking, Bearclaw would always give him the task and I just continued doing it. Your saying there is another reason?” Cutter asked back.

The spear bearer was about to tell the why of his questions, the more important part of all this, but it was the tanner who broke in. “You asked Bearclaw for the duty of staying in with cubs?”

Moonshade had inched in closer to her treeshaper breaking the eye to eye contact for a mere moment, but the bonding was still there and he hesitated to utter a sound. It was the oldest among them speaking up this time.

“After Crescent was taken from us, when Joyleaf and all the elders were trying to keep Bearclaw from attacking the humans, I found Pike and Redlance sneaking out from Father Tree one night. I knew where they were going so I followed after them and caught up to them both.” Treestump stated.

“You went to the humans camp?” Cutter asked looking to his treeshaper.

“Yes,” the treeshaper answered finally turning to look at his chief, “I told Treestump I had to see the ones who took so much from us, from Moonshade and Strongbow. At first he looked like he was going to say no, then he said he was going along to see as well.”

“Lifemate!” Clearbrook gasped.

“He said he was going to keep us from attacking the humans, but we knew better my brother and I. I think somewhere deep inside his head, Fur Chin was just as curious as us.” Pike said with a weak chuckle.

“I was, and when we got there and saw what the humans were doing, I felt sick. Then Redlance whispered ‘never again’ and turned to go. We left and never looked back.” Treestump added low, feeling a hand touch his shoulder. He looked over to see Clearbrook moving up next to him, putting her arm around him and hugging him hard.

The treeshaper sighed and turned back to Moonshade. “I watched you and Strongbow slip off into the woods to cry for how many nights, to go and fight the dark of sadness and pain alone, and the humans were dancing happily around a fire. They took so much from you both, from the tribe, and here the humans were dancing. I decided at that moment I’d never let you or any mother lose another cub. I went back to Bearclaw and told him I would be his guard for the cubs staying behind when needed. I would make sure the little ones were always safe. He looked at me hard, told me if that’s what I wanted then he’d let me do the task, but some might look down on me for doing it. I told him I didn’t care, he only nodded, and then walked away before laughing at all three of us.”

“Laughing?” Leetah asked with a bit of anger just as Treestump broke out in his laughter followed by Pike and then the treeshaper. The somberness which held the tribe it a tight grip suddenly broke as they all looked to each other in complete confusion.

“I forgot all about what happened when we got back.” Treestump breathed finally before laughing again.

“What is so funny lifemate? Is this another tease?” Krim asked Pike, who only shook his head and pointed to Treestump. Fur Chin though only shook his head and got enough control to point to the treeshaper.

“Oh, leave me with telling this part of the story you two.” Redlance laughed while holding his aching side. He felt his huntress arms hug him tighter while she whispered in his ear.

“Do not make us beg for what you three find so funny please.”

Redlance nodded getting control back, “Treestump said we had to come up with a story for why we were away from Father Tree, a good story that would keep us out of trouble.”

“And who tells the best stories to get themselves out of trouble?” Treestump asked mockingly while extending an open palm to Pike.

“Me,” the spear bearer proudly said with a smile, “and I thought we could tell Bearclaw we went fishing because all three us were hungry. Only, Treestump brought up the point that old Bearclaw would want proof we went fishing, which meant-”

“We had to have a fish,” the treeshaper took over looking at Leetah and Cutter then to Moonshade and Strongbow, “so we went fishing. You know that scar on my side, the one you all keep asking me about?”

“The Great Mouth? This was the fish that gave you the scar?” Nightfall gasped.

The treeshaper just nodded as Pike continued on. “It was the biggest fish I have ever seen, I didn’t know they could that big.”

“Well some do, and this one was huge.” Redlance stated with a chuckle.

“It was so big when we caught it the fish drug all three of us to the bottom of the stream, scraping us over sunken trees and rocks and everything in its way.” Treestump explained while looking with a far away expression, like he was seeing that niht again right in front of his eyes.

“We barely got back to the bank and when we did there we stood, cut up and wet and no fish.” The treeshaper chuckled.

“And because of these two, when we told that old badger we were fishing he didn’t believe a single word and I have been looked on as a troublemaker like them ever after.” Treestump laughed.

Dewshine shook her head smiling happily, “oh father please, your the most honorable elf among us!”

“Well thank you my sweet cub!” The elder exclaimed just as Pike looked to her with an evil smile.

“Oh Dewshine, the stories I need to tell you about your father.”

“Hey, no telling stories about me, especially the true ones.” Treestump countered quickly with a raised finger.

The tribe was lost now to the mirth of the three elves, all laughing and forgetting about what brought them to this point at the end of the night. It was only when the treeshaper yawned and turned to his healer with a sigh. “Where is the brew for me and Newstar and Dart? I want to drink it and then head up to the den.”

‘Yes, its time to hide my tribe. Pick your dens and move in.” Cutter ordered as Leetah handed the special bowl of brew to her treeshaper.

He took the bowl and started to drink, or it looked that way, but at the last moment he stopped and sniffed the contents twice before looking to the healer. “How much blue leaf did you put in here?”

“Enough to make sure you sleep, now drink it please.” Nightfall answered.

Redlance just smiled and sipped the brew knowing it was futile to fight and he was too tired to, so after a drink he handed the bowl to Strongbow who then handed it to Dart, who hesitated to take and drink from it.

“How long are we going to sleep?”

“If you two are as tired as I am then then just all day.” Redlance answered getting his legs under him, moving to stand up. The other bowls were quickly being passed around and the elves were drinking then standing up as well.

“Just the one day?” Newstar asked taking the bowl from her lovemate before he had sipped. She was tired just like the treeshaper and fighting to keep from taking the brew was just keeping her away from her furs.

Yes cub, just one day. We’re not trying to make you sleep forever like wrapstuff. Strongbow sent with a chuckle.

“I can do that,” was all the weaver said before drinking the brew and then handing it to Dart. He took it and drank the rest, handing the empty bowl back to his father.

The treeshaper took the help of his chief to get to standing before turning to his huntress and stating with a sigh, “I want berries.”

“Berries?” Nightfall smiled while Leetah giggled a little at the remark as well.

“A whole bowl full, go up to the den and I’ll be right behind.”

“No,” the huntress said standing firm with her lifemate shaking her head and smiling, “I’ll go with you and we can get the berries faster.”

“Yes, get the berries and come back to the den as fast as you both can.” Leetah smiled leaning in and kissing her treeshaper lovingly. She watched both head off to get the berries, and then the huntress gave a small signal to her healer behind Redlance’s back. The healer knew immediately what to do and turned to her tanner with a wide smile.

“Quick, we need to get all your things out of your old den and moved into ours.”

“Do you think we should?” Moonshade asked before realizing what she was saying. Her handsome chief leaned over and expressed what she was thinking.

“It will be a great surprise for him, something he has waited for as we all have, and it seems we have need of your old den for Behitha and Ayashe anyway.”

The tanner nodded quickly with a broad smile now on her face. She turned to her soulmate who only nodded back before she turned back to her healer, taking Leetah’s hand in hers. “Come, we can get everything I think with one trip.”

The pair took off in a run followed by Strongbow who was chuckling as he trailed, which made the wolf chief do the same until he saw Dart and Newstar slowly climbing up the side of Father Tree to their den on unsteady legs. He tried not to laugh but failed while calling out. “Suntop, keep an eye on Dart and Newstar, make sure they get home.”

Cutter wondered if they had used too much of the blue leaf as the archer and his lovemate looked ready to fall asleep on their feet. He watched as his tribe, now all as one as it should be, went up to their new dens using the long snaking path on the side of Father Tree, walkways that used to be small oaks till the treeshaper grew Father Tree and pulled those smaller trees into the bole of the Grand Old Oak melding all three into one. He looked over his shoulder to see where Nightfall and Redlance were when he spotted them and a jovial send from his huntress touched his mind.

I need your help my love, he’s about to go to asleep on us.

His treeshaper looked just as unsteady as the archer and weaver were, maybe more, as the pair walked up. Nightfall propped up her lifemate with one arm as he shambled along chewing on a berry, eyes almost closed, and the other holding a full bowl of berries. Cutter laughed even more and reached out pulling the treeshaper next to him giving his huntress a chance to get steady herself.

“You used too much blue leaf,” Redlance pointed out with a slight slur, still chewing the berry.

The wolf chief pulled his treeshaper’s arm over his shoulder while putting his arm around Redlance’s waist. “We used just what we thought was right so hold on till we get up to the den.”

“I’m not going to make it, there’s a nice bush over there who will keep me warm while I nap.” The treeshaper said while reaching blindly for another berry, and if not for Nightfall moving the bowl out of his reach Redlance might have spilled everyone of the pomes on the ground.

Cutter laughed even more as he pulled and Nightfall guided their love to the path to climb up. “We are not leaving you behind to sleep under a bush.” The huntress giggled as her lifemate leaned in on his chief.

“It looks like it could keep me warm.” The treeshaper responded finally swallowing the berry he had been shewing on.

Are you coming up?”

The sweet touch of their healer’s emotion across the family’s lock-send made the trio move a little faster. We are, but our beloved treeshaper is slipping into sleep and now wants to nap under a bush. I think we used too much blue leaf. Cutter answered for them as they passed Dart and Newstar’s den. Suntop was slipping out when he saw the trio and laughed.

No, no, get him up here so we can all be together again! Leetah exclaimed happily, her emotion flowing across the lock-send.

“How are Dart and Newstar?” Cutter asked his cub with a large smile.

[i[We are trying, but he says the bush will keep him warm.[/i] Nightfall laughed again while pushing her lifemate from behind.

It will, it promised. Redlance added while dragging his feet now.

“Snoring loudly in each other’s arms. They might not wake up for two days. You may have used too much blue leaf.” Suntop chuckled making room for his father and Redlance to pass by.

We will keep you warm my love, all of your family, so no sleeping under a bush this day. Leetah sent with her love trying to entice her treeshaper to keep moving.

The trio did just that, moving up till finally the small group made it to the den hole where Strongbow stood waiting, taking Redlance’s arm to help him as the treeshaper smiled more with half shut eyes. Good morn my archer, I brought some berries to eat.

I think we can save the berries till night when it gets here, but thank you for thinking of us as you always do my treeshaper. Strongbow laughed as he watched Redlance slide into the den through the bole hole.

Leetah and Moonshade waited patiently and a little eagerly as Redlance slid into the den, the healer catching him as plopped in, pulling him to her, his back to her chest. “Careful my love!” she laughed reveling in the feel of him as the rest of her family slid into the den. Even little Chitter popped in taking a seat in Cutter’s lap before looking up and seeing a strange net of vines hanging down from the ceiling.

“What-is-that?” She asked in a blurt of words as she always did.

“Its for you, to sleep in when you stay with us. I think I got your size right.” The sleepy treeshaper said trying not to, but unable not to, lean against Leetah more.

We are all home the tanner thought with a little worry, a hint of uncertainty for the upcoming moments as Chitter squealed with delight climbing quickly into the web hammock. She helped her treeshaper sit up a little and rubbed his side as he got somewhat settled. He sighed fighting the sleep that was trying to overcome him, pushing it back to stay awake just a little longer with his precious family, and as he did the treeshaper caught sight of the pile of things behind his tanner and archer.

Their things, from their den, and with seeing the small pile all he could do was sigh as it became apparent what was happening. “I think you’ve come to a decision, haven’t you?”

“Yes,” the tanner stated inching up to her treeshaper as she spoke, “we want to come and live here in this den, to be a part of this family. These last two seasons being away, missing you and Father Tree, it told us where we should be, where our hearts wish to be. Please let us come and stay here with all of you.”

Like our chief and our healer and even our huntress, being here with our family makes us feel right and complete. If you will let us stay, we will grow stronger as one heart and soul.

Redlance reached up and caressed the tanner’s cheek with his palm, a little shaky till the tanner leaned into the touch, as he spoke. “I would never deny you my heart or my furs my shy ones, never, so come and stay with this family in our den for as long as you want and need.”

Even knowing he would never turn them away, even knowing this family had let this mated pair come to them ever so carefully so as not to scare them, Moonshade still felt a sweet sensation of relief as the words graced her pointed ears. Her heart skipped as she couldn’t hold back leaning in and kissing her treeshaper sweetly and then whispering. “thank you, so much.”

A small tear ran down Leetah’s cheek as she watched, listened, and felt her soul glow. They were finally together, a true family of souls living as one. She watched with love as her treeshaper reached up and rubbed his archer’s neck, but the arm wasn’t as solid as it should have been. The appendage went a little slack and she knew Redlance was so close to giving in and falling asleep, and yet he still held out as Strongbow felt the same with the hand and took it while sending. Sleep now my treeshaper, the cubs are safe so it is time for us all to rest. Sleep and let us hold you while you do.

“Yes my love, sleep now-” The healer began whispering in her treeshaper's ear.

“I can’t stay awake-”

“Then sleep, rest, and we will be here when you wake.”

And with the healer’s request, Redlance let his body and his mind simply fall into the void that was sleep. As he went limp in her arms Leetah hugged him before looking up to Moonshade and the others while whispering low. “He’s sleeping finally, help me get him of of his leathers and in the furs.”

“Is-tree-growing-father-ok?” Chitter asked with worry.

“He’s fine,” Cutter answered as he helped to get Redlance rolled onto his back in the furs, “but he needs to rest little one so he might not be up to playing much when night comes.”

“Ok,” Chitter whispered from her hammock watching her family take care of the treeshaper, removing his leathers with gentle care.

Nightfall took her lifemate’s leathers and piled them off to the side as the wonderful sound of his wheeze rolled across the den. It was the sound they all wanted to hear, needed to hear, as wide smiles of contentment showed on the family’s faces. Oh how I have missed that, his little wheeze.

It will put me right to sleep, Cutter remarked before nodding to the pile in the corner of the den, can that wait till the night? I think we all need sleep before putting everything in its place.

Yes, it can wait, I just want to sleep with my family now. Moonshade sent with warm emotion.

And with that the family settled in, taking off leathers and then sliding under the furs on the pile. They took up spots opposite each other so three lay in one direction and the other three lay the other. All was right, they were home and together as a whole family. Leetah lay between her tanner and archer, her arms wrapped around both it felt like as her soulmate rubbed her calf from where he was.

The day star began its long trek across the sky as the family slept happily.

http://www.rkanepublications.com/
Wiseshaman

Wiseshaman

Redlance: A Treeshaper, nothing more and nothing less - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Redlance: A Treeshaper, nothing more and nothing less - Chapter 25   Redlance: A Treeshaper, nothing more and nothing less - Page 2 EmptySat Apr 20, 2024 4:15 pm

Time now for the next chapter in the story about our Treeshaper, the treeshaper tells his tale of fighting the the Scarred One...

Chapter 25 – A family that loves together...

“You could have killed him Esmelda!”

Udros stood back silently for a moment and watched what one might call his brother confront angrily what one might his sister, that was if his kind could have such a thing. In truth, the last three of the ‘Old Gods’ were clueless of where they came from or even if they had what one would call a ‘Father’. They just simply existed, it was all they knew or remembered, but that was coming to an end wasn’t it he thought. Esmelda of the Sky said nothing in return to Atok of the Green Forests attack, just stood there among the small vortexes that circled her body staring coldly back. It was her way, to not care, and if one does not care then one has no need to fight or defend one’s self, right?

Well, Udros was not Esmelda, and he felt the need to defend her and him.

“She did not kill him Atok, only helped him as you asked. The red hair spirit is home, alive, be happy with it, with her for not being Esmelda for once.”

“And you Udros, you could have hurt the young archer with your actions!”

“I did not hurt the Little Spirit Atok, and you acting foolish.” Udros countered with a shake of his head and a stern look. It was enough to make Atok hiss and snarl just a bit in response.

Another moment, maybe not even that, and the two Old Gods might have gone to throwing blows just like true siblings even if they were unsure if they were brothers. Then a flat monotone voice broke through the tension between the two, the sheer surprise of hearing the words from the only other being in the clearing shocking the other two.

It was truly rare to hear Esmelda speak.

“I know why now you are so involved with these Little Spirits, Atok.”

The rather trite statement, spoken in such bland tone, stopped both Udros and Atok cold, both turning to look the one who spoke it. Atok titled his head to one side and had to inquire to the meaning of the words. “And what do you know now dear Esmelda.”

“They are small these Little Spirits, so much so one could easily think of them as weak, and yet they are quite the opposite these little ones. They have a fierce heart these Little Spirits, especially the one with the red hair. What makes them this way Atok, do you know?”

“I do not Esmelda, and I have lost the want to know. They have won my admiration for overcoming any adversity that has tried to overtake the.”  

“The red hair, he was never scared from what I could see when running from the humans who chased him. He only thought of this tribe he is a part of, this family he lives with, and I am sure if he had to give his life for any of them to live the choice would have been quick and decisive.”

Atok only smiled, which looked just a touch gruesome for the old. “He is loyal to this tribe of Little Spirits, more than I have ever seen. That is why I watch them, all, because there is nothing and no one like them I have found or come across.”

“No, there is not, maybe I will come and watch them some as well. Till we talk again Atok, if we are given more days here.” Esmelda answered with a simple nod before disappearing.

Udros and Atok stood for a moment staring at the spot where their kin had stood and then turned to each other. Udros spoke, a smile crossing his sharp features. “That is the most I have heard her speak ever.”

“It is,” Atok sighed before continuing on, “thank you Udros for helping the young archer. If the humans had caught him or followed him back here I do not know what might have come of them, these Little Spirits.”

The statement took on the tone of an apology more than gratitude and Udros could sense it, which is why he only smiled more while replying. “They are special these little ones, which is why I might come and watch them more as well. Till we talk again Atok of the Green Forest.”

And then Udros was gone as well leaving Atok by himself, the ‘family’ gathering ended with simple goodbye. There was no hugging, no tears, and certainly no sentimentality. Yet, it was as close to a loving parting that Atok could remember and he took that as a sign that maybe Esmelda and Udros were beginning to be more open. He took one last look back at Father Tree, knew the Little Spirits had taken to their homes in the bole holes and were safe now.

And then Atok was gone and the sounds of the forest was all that was left to hear.        

Redlance: A Treeshaper, nothing more and nothing less - Page 2 Vignet11

A small nudge brought Leetah out of a deep sleep, and for a brief moment she was lost in bit of confusion from being woke. She blinked her large beautiful eyes to halfway open and caught a glimpse of her archer sitting up and hugging their treeshaper. What was happening, or why, didn’t and couldn’t penetrate the left behind fog of sleep in Leetah’s mind, so she sat up just enough to watch the pair a little closer. Strongbow broke the embrace with Redlance, touching his forehead to his treeshaper's, before sliding away And over to lay with Nightfall and Cutter. The healer blinked again as her treeshaper grinned and slid up next to her while touching her mind with a gentle loving send.

Why is my desert flower awake?

What are you two doing, and why are you up? She answered him while watching Redlance move into Strongbow’s old spot next to her.

I wanted to change spots, sleep next to my maidens who I have missed so much. May I hold you and our shy one my love? The treeshaper asked sweetly, his send filled with affection and devotion.

Yes, please, I have missed that the most. Moonshade replied quickly. She was smiting warmly as her treeshaper slid into the furs next to her on his back.

Leetah moved over, guided by a hand from Redlance, to lay on his chest letting their tanner take the spot in the crook of his arm which he hugged her with.

The healer thought for a brief moment of not laying on her treeshaper’s chest, his side was still sore, but then she gently moved in and settled down putting her ear to his upper chest. The lovely sound of his heartbeat was as welcomed as breathing, and the healer sighed with affirmation of being more than content. She reached over and wrapped her arm around Moonshade pulling her tanner closer, if that was possible as she was already cuddled up on Redlance feeling warmer than she had in a long time. They held each other these three as they all fell back asleep, and across the full den three other sets of eyes watched with devoted hearts and moist eyes before also turning back to sleep.

http://www.rkanepublications.com/

Redlance: A Treeshaper, nothing more and nothing less
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2