Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son

Go down 
+4
Zadzi
wingthing
Embala
ChristinaRaibert
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ChristinaRaibert

ChristinaRaibert

Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son Empty
PostSubject: Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son   Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son EmptySat Apr 18, 2015 8:41 pm

Sooo... as you might know, my What-If story "What's in your future?" features Khorbasi as one of the main characters. It wasn't intentional - I had intended him to make a cameo or two, but the more I wrote the more I realized he was shaping up to be one of the protagonists. And in so doing I became more and more intrigued with his character Very Happy

He's cool because even though Ember's tribe took him in as a child, he's very much tied to both worlds... his elfin upbringing and his Longrider heritage... and manages to balance both as not even Shuna could (of course, Shuna was much older than Khorbasi when the Wolfriders adopted her, and as a girl she had probably been brought up in much stricter fashion than the impish street urchin we saw in "Mender's Tale"). I really hope Final Quest will do more with him! As for me, I'll try to tell his story as best as I can in my what-if ^^

One thing I noticed some days ago... remember the Adiirak statuette he showed Yun when she found him? There's a similar human handicraft in Shards too, done by an old man who gets executed for treason;

http://elfquest.com/gallery/OnlineComics/SH/SH05/sh05-16.jpg

At first I thought the baby in his daughter's arms might even have been Khorbasi... of course, he'd be much older than that to be the young human seen in "Final Quest special", but I still think that was a blooper. But it's a funny coincidence... although I personally doubt the Djun men would have let that old man's family live (they probably burned the house with the inhabitants therein). Still... if they had somehow managed to escape...

How many years after Shards was "Mender's Tale" originally supposed to take place?

"She answered his faraway, telepathic call, introducing him to her watery domain. Her longings fulfilled, she knows he will soon go by another name on this world... and on many others. Will she go with him?"
Sunstream and Brill, 1999 "Lovemates" Calendar
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son   Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 8:41 am

Khorbasi, the human child of Ember's tribe ... this was Khorbasi's thread, opened by Trollbabe, on the original Scroll of Colors. Follow old discussions and see fanart from earlier times.

Visit Khorbasi's bio page on Elfquest.com.

Last edited by Embala on Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:05 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son   Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 9:15 am

'Character Bio':

Khorbasi (m)

Alive – mortal
Adoptive son of Yun
Adoptive grandson of Skywise (maternal)
Lovemate of Tingeh

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil

Last edited by Redhead Ember on Tue Sep 20, 2016 12:13 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son   Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son EmptySat Jan 16, 2016 10:25 pm

I missed whatever story arc introduced Khorbasi's mate.

Strongbow is understandably concerned about how "The Way" is being stretched and bent among the scattered tribes, including the adoption of even more humans.  While Patch, Shuna and Khorbasi were single adoptions, the last adoption included two boys and two girls.

Inevitably, this group will reach puberty.  While adopting them was the only humane thing to do in the situation, they aren't kittens to be spayed and neutered.  There will be consequences.

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son   Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 1:42 am

Trollbabe wrote:
Inevitably, this group will reach puberty.  While adopting them was the only humane thing to do in the situation, they aren't kittens to be spayed and neutered.  There will be consequences.

Well... in theory Mender *could* magically spay and neuter quite easily, but I assume you're thinking ethical considerations. Though considering that we have (assuming no one left the tribe or died) three human men to only two human women, and Ember noted that the two non-Khorbasi boys were "not made of the same stuff" as he... (lazy, entitled, possibly disrespectful) if I were an elf-maid I'd be VERY worried about those boys getting "urges."* An ethical debate about the right to sexuality could get very interesting indeed.**

*assuming they're straight, but given that we've never seen gay humans, and considering that the Earthly late medieval humans cultures these Abodean ones are based on were usually pretty heteronormative. I'd say it's a safe assumption the boys are gonna want girls eventually.

** I have read way too many "space colony" type novels where a slight gender imbalance invariably leads to a man going from dedicated scientist to psycho-rapist because of his sense of entitlement to his own exclusive and willing sex-toy.

Although there aren't any ankle-biters running around yet (that we've seen) so maybe Mender is offering some sort of magical birth control.
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son   Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 5:01 am

Trollbabe wrote:
I missed whatever story arc introduced Khorbasi's mate.

Final Quest. She's Tingeh, the little human girl with the fatal burns. She's grown up.

Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son   Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 6:53 pm

I'll have to hit the comic store and get the latest issue.

As I recall, Shuna's menstrual cycle caused problems with the wolves.

Even though the human children were saved by the Elves, I believe the tribe must still respect their natural ability and desire to start families of their own. In a real-world situation, they would simply marry into an adoptive human tribe. I can't think of a diplomatic way to offer to keep their reproductive processes in check.

Considering the political situation in their former home, and the fact that humans live short lives and multiply rapidly, I can't think of an easy solution, either.

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son   Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 7:37 pm

This might be one of those loose ends in FQ. Wendy said not *everything* will be wrapped up and I have a feeling this might apply to this situation. However, i do find the situation itself really interesting with the longterm implications of it all.

Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son   Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 5:52 am

Khorbasi has already had his life prolonged, and I wouldn't be too surprised if Tingeh has her prolonged as well.
As for the three others. I kinda like the idea of them leaving to become Peacemakers themselves, just like Shuna.

Trollbabe wrote:
I'll have to hit the comic store and get the latest issue.

Start with getting issue 10. That's the issue showing grown-up Tingeh.

Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son   Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 10:34 am

wingthing wrote:
assuming they're straight, but given that we've never seen gay humans, and considering that the Earthly late medieval humans cultures these Abodean ones are based on were usually pretty heteronormative.
Homosexuality was accepted in Japan until the Meiji Restauration and throughout most of Imperial China (the Qing were more prudish). And I think the people around Ember's tribe are supposed to be Asian-ish. Wink

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son   Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 5:42 pm

Most likely, Khorbasi will live a long time, but not forever. I imagine these humans will reach puberty, form partnerships and reproduce-- and they and their descendants will settle in the mountains-- in the ruins of their ancestors-- and live in harmony with the elves... until the elves leave and the humans just stay behind.

Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son   Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 7:43 pm

Lunakat wrote:
Most likely, Khorbasi will live a long time, but not forever. I imagine these humans will reach puberty,  form partnerships and reproduce-- and they and their descendants will settle in the mountains-- in the ruins of their ancestors-- and live in harmony with the elves... until the elves leave and the humans just stay behind.

That would be ideal. The warlord regime would have to give way to a more peaceful lifestyle, though. Maybe Khorbasi could go into politics.

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son   Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 12:15 am

The warlord regime belongs to the people at the bottom of the hill. The people on top of the hill would be different, right? Why would they follow that type of regime, if they were raised by and among elves?

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son   Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 12:30 am

Lunakat wrote:
Most likely, Khorbasi will live a long time, but not forever.

I think that's actually pretty much what Mender said.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son   Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son Empty

Back to top Go down

Khorbasi, Yun's adopted son
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Father Tree Holt :: Keeping In Character-
Jump to: