Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

So let's get this started...

Go down 
+14
Tymber
Josine
truelight
Startear
Leanan
Lunakat
Blackbird
Stormcatcher
KR Wordgazer
anj tuesday
Embala
G0lden
Trollbabe
Tenderfoot
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Tymber

Tymber

So let's get this started... Empty
PostSubject: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptyFri May 29, 2015 2:27 am

Other than ElfQuest, what other comics do you read?
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptyFri May 29, 2015 9:55 am

Anything by Sergio Aragones.

Tenderfoot

Aquarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptyFri May 29, 2015 12:09 pm

Tried reading Fables, but I hated Snow White, and seeing as she's one of the main characters, I won't suffer myself through the rest.

I absolutely adore Mutts, it's in the newspaper and I find myself laughing every day - McDonnell has so nailed the behaviour of our pets!

I enjoy Kollektivet (The Collective), a Norwegian comic by Torbjørn Lien that is just hilarious!

Let's see, what more? I used to read a little bit of X-Men, but there aren't many comics published in Norwegian, and most were published long before I was born. I can't think of anymore at the moment... so if I have read something else, it can't have made much of an impression on me.
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptyFri May 29, 2015 12:26 pm

If you like "Beauty and the Beast" this is highly recommended: http://www.batb.thecomicseries.com/

"Girl Genius" is good. http://girlgeniusonline.com/

"Love And Capes." www.loveandcapes.com

"Drive." The story is serious, the characters are hilarious - www.drivecomic.com

PS238 - super-powered elementary school. - www.ps238.nodwick.com
Back to top Go down
Blackbird

Blackbird

Aquarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptyFri May 29, 2015 4:52 pm

Tenderfoot: You and me both...didn't like Snow white ( not even in Once upon a time....) but love the comics though..

I like X-men, and Red Sonja, but haven't really dived into the huge universe yet.

The rest is mostly Norvegian and swedish comics, like Nemi, Pondus, Zelda, Rocky and Kollektivet of course Smile

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptyFri May 29, 2015 5:55 pm

Anything weird or 'non-mainstream'... one-offs, independent publishers, shoot I even have one that was (poorly) printed on an offset press in someone's basement apparently, the color registration is beyond horrible, drawing skill is on par with mine or slightly better (as in bad), and I think the pages were hand folded and stapled, but I like it because it represents someone's effort that I have not made.

Anyway, I used to be a superman fan back when he died (the... uh... well, the time he died by Doomsday... that happened only once, right?), and have quite a few of those around somewhere, and I have a large collection of Star Trek comics, but generally I stay away from mainstream Marvel and DC comics (unless they are exceptionally weird).

Stormcatcher

Libra Tiger

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptyFri May 29, 2015 8:53 pm

My comic history:

Started learning to read with Mickey Mouse at age 3, moved on to Felix the Cat (not to be confused with Fritz the Cat) shortly after, picked up the first Latin phrases with Asterix at 7, my sea-loving Dad bought me all available Redbeard comics, read ZACK magazine which featured the crème de la crème of Belgian and French comic artists for many years.
Discovered MAD magazine at 11 (and had to buy comics with my pocket money since then) and read my first Manga "Hadashi no Gen" at 19.
And let's not forget Iugurtha, Valhalla, Hagar the Horrible and Zits!

Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot

Aquarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptySat May 30, 2015 5:43 am

Asterix, of course! How could I forget! *slaps forehead* I adore those comics as well! Others seem to as well, yesterday my dog played with a Dalmation named Obelix
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptySat May 30, 2015 5:30 pm

I grew up with Astrix and Tintin. I didn't discover Lucky Luke until a few years ago.

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptySat May 30, 2015 10:32 pm

I used to read Archie as a youngster.

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptySun May 31, 2015 7:07 am

Hardly anything noteworthy for me.

As a (pre)teen I've read almost everything I could get my hands on when visiting my cousins - all the range from Donald, Mickey & Co to Superman, Batman, Spiderman to Lucky Luke and Tim und Struppi. Because COMICS! They were not welcome at my home. Nothing I fell for enough to keep reading and overcome my "educational imprint" once I was an adult.

I returned to Asterix when we were forced Wink to read an issue as French lecture at school. Liked it pretty much but not enough to stick.

I was in my mid twenties when I found EQ (German edition) - got hooked by the art, fell in love with the characters and wanted to learn the WHOLE story.

After EQ I've tried this or that - El Merchenario, Forgotten Realms and some I have forgotten about the moment I've finished reading. Neither manga nor cutiecute nor the "photorealistic" artstyle can bait me. And probably I'm too visual to stick long enough with a comic that does not feed this preference to learn to appreciate the story.

No comic history here. No real experiance besides EQ. No way to compare. All that really sticks in my mind is EQ - art, character and story.

*looks back at post ... shakes head ... Longish way to say: Nope. Nothing!* XD

anj tuesday

anj tuesday

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 1:57 pm

Tymber wrote:

I don't really follow any comic books "religiously", but: The Books of Magic, The Sandman, Sillage (English: Wake), Wandering Son, Nodame Cantabile (when I have the patience for it)... Magic Knight Rayearth  Embarassed... a bunch of fantasy graphic novels... some of Seyfried's stuff... Calvin & Hobbes. Sitting unread on my shelf (a matter of patience again): Blue Is the Warmest Colour
Back to top Go down
KR Wordgazer

KR Wordgazer

Scorpio Cat

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 4:25 pm

I have read Bone, Akiko, Thieves and Kings, and Black Butler. I haven't really read any comics besides EQ in recent years, though.

Stormcatcher

Stormcatcher

Libra Tiger

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptyMon Jun 01, 2015 9:00 pm

Just realised I totally forgot to mention Ralf König's works!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralf_K%C3%B6nig

Blackbird

Blackbird

Aquarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptyWed Jun 03, 2015 12:26 pm

anj tuesday wrote:
Tymber wrote:

I don't really follow any comic books "religiously", but: The Books of Magic, The Sandman, Sillage (English: Wake), Wandering Son, Nodame Cantabile (when I have the patience for it)... Magic Knight Rayearth  Embarassed... a bunch of fantasy graphic novels... some of Seyfried's stuff... Calvin & Hobbes. Sitting unread on my shelf (a matter of patience again): Blue Is the Warmest Colour

Sandman! Of course.

anj tuesday

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 4:51 pm

Stormcatcher wrote:
Just realised I totally forgot to mention Ralf König's works!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ralf_K%C3%B6nig

Those were getting passed around in my "WG"
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptyWed Jun 24, 2015 7:00 pm

What's a "WG"?

anj tuesday

anj tuesday

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 5:40 am

Wohngemeinschaft = shared flat
Back to top Go down
Leanan

Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptyThu Jun 25, 2015 2:36 pm

Let's see...

The most popular weekly magazine of any kind in Finland is the Donald Duck comics one, so I grew up reading that. I still love those Disney comics, especially the ones by Keno Don Rosa.

As a youngster, I also got to know many of the French and Belgian masterworks: Lucky Luke, Asterix, Spirou and Fantasio... and Tintin.
ElfQuest stole my heart around the time I started borrowing from the 'grown up' section of comics at the local library. In those times I also discovered Sandman, the works of Enki Bilal and Moebius, and many others I can't remember right now.

Later I moved on to manga, starting with Nausicaä of the Valley of Wind. Series worth a mention here would be: Blade of the Immortal, Lone Wolf and Cub, Barefoot Gen, Emma, Oh My Goddess, Astro Boy, Wish, and Death Note.

More stuff I've liked over the years: Love and Rockets, anything by Milo Manara, Fables, Y the Last Man, Air, Blueberry, Books of Magic, Books of Faerie, Bone, some stuff by Ralf König, Dykes to Watch Out For.

Webcomics that I am reading include: Erstwhile, XKCD, Girl Genius, Order of the Stick, Scandinavia and the World, Sandra and Woo, Pusheen the Cat, Cat versus Human, The Princess, Depression Comics, Cyanide and Happiness, The Princess, Head Trip, Stupid Fox, and Oglaf.

Webcomics that have been finished that I liked: Busty Girl Comics, Sexy Losers.

Newspaper comics worth a mention: Calvin and Hobbes, Mutts, Pearls before Swine, Get Fuzzy, Nemi, Viivi and Wagner, Scary Gary.

This is not a complete list, I've read so much good stuff I can't remember half of the titles/creators.

Back to top Go down
Startear

Startear

Aquarius Goat

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptyFri Sep 11, 2015 6:56 pm

Of currently ongoing comics, I'm reading Wet Moon. I like it quite a lot, I initially found that it was taking a little long time to get a plot, it starts out very slice of life, but I came to realize that it is slice of life with horror elements.

Of webcomics/newspaper comics, I like Monster Pop, Sister Claire, Zelda and Nemi. I also like Ava's Demon, but I've kinda fallen behind.

Thanks to Embala for the lovely banner! The quote belongs to Scooter.
Back to top Go down
truelight

truelight

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptyFri Oct 09, 2015 11:30 pm

OH so so many comics
 x-men, inhumans, excalibur, the avengers, the fantastic four, wonder woman, love the harley and ivy team up books, fables, strangers in paradise, weird world, conan, kull, ghita, red sonja, axa, archie, knights of the dinner table,

I actually read entirely too many comics Shocked

Tried the walking dead but couldn't get into it.
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptySat Oct 10, 2015 1:51 pm

truelight wrote:
OH so so many comics
 x-men, inhumans, excalibur, the avengers, the fantastic four, wonder woman, love the harley and ivy team up books, fables, strangers in paradise, weird world, conan, kull, ghita, red sonja, axa, archie, knights of the dinner table,
I actually read entirely too many comics Shocked
Tried the walking dead but couldn't get into it.

You read the current "Weird World" - what do you think? Did you ever read the original (ironically, about a few elves?)

And your X-Men, Avengers, etc Marvel - is this current Marvel or older stuff? I am assuming current...

And you read Knights of the Dinner Table?

You must be a gamer then?

Once, eons ago, lacking artistic talent myself - I used the images from KotDT - and changed the dialogue to represent D&D games my friends and I had. I should find those and upload them someday...

Josine

Josine

Sagittarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptySun Dec 20, 2015 3:03 pm

I don't read any other comics beside ElfQuest. But I do read the Attack on Titan manga, does that count?

http://zinegirl.deviantart.com/art/ElfQuest-Family-Tree-SPOILERS
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptyTue Dec 22, 2015 4:35 am

Zinegirl wrote:
I don't read any other comics beside ElfQuest. But I do read the Attack on Titan manga, does that count?

I'd say so!

I don't read Attack on Titan (but I have a friend who is REALLY into it and Cosplays it any chance!) - so, just for conversation sake - if you read no other comics, except ElfQuest and Attack on Titan - what is it that made you interested in either of these comics?

Josine

Josine

Sagittarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... EmptySun Jan 03, 2016 2:31 pm

Tymber wrote:
Zinegirl wrote:

I'd say so!

I don't read Attack on Titan (but I have a friend who is REALLY into it and Cosplays it any chance!) - so, just for conversation sake - if you read no other comics, except ElfQuest and Attack on Titan - what is it that made you interested in either of these comics?
I discovered ElfQuest in the local library and was immediatly drawn by the beautiful style of Wendy Pini, although I couldn't understand most of the story because I was around 8 years old and they didn't have all the issues in order.

I started reading Attack on Titan after seeing the anime en season 2 was (and is) far away from airing, so I couldn't wait for the story continue, thus I began to read the manga Smile

http://zinegirl.deviantart.com/art/ElfQuest-Family-Tree-SPOILERS
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So let's get this started...   So let's get this started... Empty

Back to top Go down

So let's get this started...
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Father Tree Holt :: Non-EQ Comic Discussions-
Jump to: