Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

The Scroll of Colors and retconning

Go down 
+12
Prism
Redhead Ember
Lunakat
kathleen3.0
Trollbabe
Embala
Miss Gillespie
TrollHammer
Outlier
wingthing
KR Wordgazer
Davrille
16 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
TrollHammer

TrollHammer

The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 8:22 am

Miss Gillespie wrote:
I'm too lazy to look the correct term up, but there is this theory in higher physics, that there are a gazillion universes, where anything that could've happened, happened.

Who knows, maybe the palace can't jump in time but it can jump between dimensions.

I was kind of following this same thought, but couldnt put it in these words! Stating it this way, with the implication that the Palace actually jumped from one universe to another when it "time crashed", and another popped into it's origional universe, meanwhile the one that was in the universe it just came into popped out into another one....

Makes a nice mental image of the Mad Hatter... "Everyone move one place to the left!"

Outlier

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 11:01 am

Miss Gillespie wrote:

If you had to exactly know, for which thread of colour you're looking, the scrolls are indeed useless. How are you supposed, that you actually picked the right thread?

That's what would make it so hard to master. You would have to spend a long time just absorbing the random images, in different colors, until you came across one you could put in context.

Maybe, after a while, you'd realize that all the scenes that correspond to your memories were magenta. So then when you saw something in magenta, you could guess it belongs to a single timeline.

But I guess that would only work if the timeline you were on was fixed and unchangeable, or every choice would result in a color change as it started down a different timeline.

You'd have to figure out where you are now and have some way of seeing where your choices would lead. I guess some kind of color coding system? Maybe something in one scene would spark some color suddenly telling you of the possible outcomes, if you could find that thread?

Makes me wonder what would define a timeline. What would say this linear sequence of events all belong together? What would be the reference point?

Sorry, I tend to get carried away on these kind of subjects.

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 12:27 pm

Rayek learned to use the scrolls quite fast (at least I think, he could use them), and he had no personal experience of the primordial crash, despite this, he found the place and the time the high ones tried to land on tWoTM. He even could see, that one of the High Ones was wondering, why there is a second palace around.
So apparently you can see non-personal information and you can use them as a tracking-device (they found the Go Backs, even though the Go Backs didn't call them).

Hm, apparently, the scrolls are not that essential any way, at least there is one of them in an human museum in Jink (so the elves made no attempt to retrieve them)...

@outlier: we are supposed to get carried away :-*
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 4:15 pm

Miss Gillespie wrote:
Hm, apparently, the scrolls are not that essential any way, at least there is one of them in an human museum in Jink (so the elves made no attempt to retrieve them)...

Maybe the Scrolls are actually dangerous. That could be the secret hidden in plain sight.

Could also be one of the reasons Rayek was able to seemingly control them when he made his time-jump-thing; the Scroll wanted the chaos it would create.
(This is of course purely speculation. Which pretty much everything I've posted in this thread has been...)

Miss Gillespie wrote:
So apparently you can see non-personal information and you can use them as a tracking-device (they found the Go Backs, even though the Go Backs didn't call them).

When?

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 4:24 pm

I don't think Wendy said anything that suggests the Scrolls would show multiple possible pasts. i think they show possible futures-- and record the past. The Butterfly Effect is the idea that a small change (in the present) can have a big result (in the future)--that a butterfly fluttering it's wings could cause a wind storm as the currents pick up half way around the world. It's about sensitive dependence on initial conditions. But simply mentioning the butterfly effect doesn't imply that the scrolls record a million different realities. That would make the whole notion of "reading" them pointless.

Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 4:29 pm

At most, I could imagine it's possible that Rayek changed something when he time jumped and maybe affected the past because of the High Ones propulsion back in time... but not that the scroll is recording a million different possibilities.

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 22, 2015 6:14 pm

Rogue's Challenge ... especially for this hardcover book there are bridging pages drawn by Wendy, connecting several Hidden Years stories.

Two pages clearly show that Rayek reads the "How shall I keep from singing" story from the Scroll of Colors to some visitors.
Ekuar told them at arrival: You are just in time ... Listen! You'll hear Brownskin's voice...
I've always read it the way that Rayek has "loaded" this tale as a performance to impress his visitors.

Well, you can interpret "just in time" the way that he luckily stumbled into something interesting accitentally - and the visitors showed up the right moment ... you CAN. Wink

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 4:26 am

Or... those people being just in time were the readers, and this breaking-the-fourth-wall didn't actually happen in-story. Skywise Wink

Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 23, 2015 9:40 pm

Oh, Ekuar pretty sure adresses Venka and Zhantee ... not the reader. Ekuar

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 7:58 am

How can you know, if it's just some visitors?

Back to top Go down
TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 10:27 am

Redhead Ember wrote:
Miss Gillespie wrote:

Maybe the Scrolls are actually dangerous. That could be the secret hidden in plain sight.

Could also be one of the reasons Rayek was able to seemingly control them when he made his time-jump-thing; the Scroll wanted the chaos it would create.
(This is of course purely speculation. Which pretty much everything I've posted in this thread has been...)

I like this!

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 3:18 pm

@ Redhead Ember: because...

The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 Rch_br10

The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 Rch_br11

Last edited by Embala on Sun Jul 30, 2017 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 7:04 pm

Is the Scroll of Colors anything like Windows Ten?  Because that would explain a lot.  Rolling Eyes

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 7:09 pm

Pike Rolling

Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 24, 2015 10:03 pm

It is an ancient technology!

TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 4:10 am

The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 28rnkh3

Seems to be a common problem with dark haired starship folk...

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 6:11 am

Trollbabe wrote:
Is the Scroll of Colors anything like Windows Ten?  Because that would explain a lot.  Rolling Eyes

Ooh, I can work perfectly fine with Win10, name me the new Master of the Palace* Twisted Evil

*or should it be Mistress of the Palace, sounds terrible
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 8:57 am

Mistress Gillespie ^^

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 9:06 am

Well, then why did you write some visitors, as if they weren't seen?

I think we should be careful with getting too worked up over details like that. It's a bit like the Whole Timeline debacle that occured all the way back when the Special first came out on BoingBoing:
The beginning scenes suppossedly took place about six years after 'Shards'.
Sunstream getting in wrapstuff shortly after the events of 'Full Circle' which took place right after 'Shards'.
Sunstream spending three years in wrapstuff.
Brill being pregnant for three years.
Yet, there was Khorbasi; having the age he had about 30 years after Shards...

Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 9:51 am

Rule 1 - There are no inconsistencies.

Rule 2 - In case there are inconsistencies see Rule 1.

@ Hammer: had a good laugh Laughing

Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 1:34 pm

LOL, Embala!

I'm willing to accept inconsistencies in Elfquest. They aren't as commonplace as those in mainstream Marvel I read growing up... Hulk changes color back and forth, Wolverine was born in a log cabin, then a mansion, Beast looks human, then he always had fur, Aunt May is Doctor Octopus' girlfriend, then she only meets him when he kidnaps her...

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Embala wrote:
Rule 1 - There are no inconsistencies.

Rule 2 - In case there are inconsistencies see Rule 1.

@ Hammer: had a good laugh Laughing

Well said Embala.

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 25, 2015 4:44 pm

I think we all need to bear in mind the fact that the storylines got spread out during the 90'es and are now being brought together.
Like with the timeline debacle: Honestly, to me the only thing that confuses about the timeline is the presence of (adult) Khorbasi during the scene at the Wild Hunt before Korafay's birth. If he weren't there it would make sense, Pool and Sust looking a few years older than Chitter. Besides; the scene with Khorbasi's fewer seemingly takes place towards the end of that timeskip, and he doesn't appear to have aged since the beginning - maybe he didn't need Mender's life-prolonging magic after all.
Honestly, it seems the only reason he was even included in that scene at the beginning of the Special was so he could be included in that hold the cursor over a character feature they had on BoingBoing, he didn't really contribute anything to that scene, all he did was laughing at Yun's joke about Korafay spitting in Ember's eye.
However, if you remove Khorbasi from that scene before Korafay's birth it kinda makes sense, with all of Wild Hunt taking place during the timeskip. Of course there's still the issue of Ember referring to Sunstream as 'Suntop', as if he hadn't changed his name, and during a time when he would've been at the wavedancers.
Of course Ember calling Sunstream 'Suntop' is probably a direct result of the storylines splitting up like crazy; did the writers of Wild Hunt even know that he'd had a namechange? And Recognized? And was pretty busy raising his daughter?

Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 11:11 am

So Wendy recently said this:

Wendy Pini
Nothing that happened in the BoTC series is happening in Final Quest. At this point they are separate realities.

kathleen3.0

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2016 1:49 pm

The Blood Of Ten Chiefs series? Doesn't that take place in the past?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Scroll of Colors and retconning   The Scroll of Colors and retconning - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Scroll of Colors and retconning
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next