Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

My Hidden Folk

Go down 
+14
Leanan
Rainflower
faeriegirl
Kindredsoul
Fairyring
Trollbabe
Lunakat
Kojiyumi
G0lden
wolfmoonsky
Beryl
Stormcatcher
Wiseshaman
Nibblet
18 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

hidden folk - My Hidden Folk Empty
PostSubject: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 10:49 pm

Fantasy and imagination, tales of worlds that were or will be or exist besides our reality were always part of my mind. I'm not a writer. I never tried to develope my existing drawing skills.

I found other ways to create something of my own, doing various crafts and decoration all my life. Some artful, some playful, some laborious and some lazy pasttime ... as long as it was fun. And I tend to "move in circles", rediscovering old fun with different means.

This way fairytales, Barbies, crafts and ElfQuest met ... and merged into something that I could call my own Holt, my personal Elf World.

hidden folk - My Hidden Folk Ba_hid10

I liked to crochet Barbie costumes, the floral dresses of fairies and beautiful silk flowers ... it seemed natural to combine it. I aimed for something different, tho - not cute dresses made from petals but living flowers. I took the silk flowers carefully apart and rearranged them as realistic as possible around the dolls.
Some petals are like shimmering scales - this way the water-folk developed.
And with ElfQuest they got a minimum of bios, family connections and story background, living secretly in a not specified world.

I've shown the dolls in real life but never told before that they were a little more for me than just dolls. This way they are Hidden Folk in more than one regard.

Last edited by Embala on Tue Jun 06, 2023 7:28 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Lotus and her sprouts   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 11:17 am

hidden folk - My Hidden Folk Gv_tei10

Lotus, the youngest daughter of Queen Iris, spends a bright day on the riverbank with her uneven twins, Waterlily and Stickleback. While she enjoys their cheerful play she longs for that strange fishtaled elf she secretly met at this place some seasons ago.
Watertwine disappeared some days after they recognized. She never told about him and the Flower Folk is still wondering about the boy's appearance.

Last edited by Embala on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 2:27 pm

When you first showed me this in the chat, I was just squealing about the adorableness of this Wink

But now that I can take a deeper and longer look (without the chatbox convo constantly moving it up-up-up  Laughing ) I can really recognize the great amount of detail you put into this!

What did you use for (I assume the little merboy's name) Stickleback's mertail? It's SO detailed, it looks like paint, but so textured it looks like some form fitting material too

Absolutely beautiful work, Embala! As always, I hope we see more! cheers
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 2:56 pm

Thank you so much, Kin. sunny It feels strangely good to share these dolls and revive them in my mind.

Lotus was one of my earlier dolls - born after the find of a silken purple-pink water lily with "waterdrops". Little Sticklleback was actually created as the child of her and Watertwine.

hidden folk - My Hidden Folk Lotoss10

This close-up may help. The mertail is made of nothing but silk flower petals (no idea which one, was going for the look not for a special plant). It was a "swim version" of the Barbie boy with stretched toes. A silken ribbon to even the legs gap just a bit, starting with the fluke and the first row of petal scales the right way ... the rest was carefully glue one scale after the other to shape the tail.

Last edited by Embala on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 4:41 pm

hidden folk - My Hidden Folk Teichr10

Another close-up - little yellow Waterlily wants to show nicely, too!
She was actually one of the last flower fairies I did ... to complete the family. Twins are pretty much the rule in the Flower Folk Wink

Last edited by Embala on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Nibblet

Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 7:30 pm

They are adorable! How long did it take you?

Zebbed as the First Lady of Naughtyniceness!
Cast as Petalwing in the EQ Forums Movie
Dubbed Google Queen by Kindredsoul
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 9:35 pm

My eyes would have crossed for eternity if I tried making those outfits, and all the smaller details!  geek 

Hope to see more!
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 4:56 pm

Thank you so much, Nibblet! flower I honestly cannot tell how long it takes.

The actual making ... some only an hour, some an evening, some more. But it was not always possible to work on - wrong mood, TV distraction or glue that needed to setting.
The dolls needed to be (almost) ready in my mind before I even touched scissors and glue. Often it took one or two weeks to choose the fitting doll type and flower and to plan the "dress-up". Or - it all fell together in a single moment. Very Happy

I will show more, Kin, if only to grant your wish. *hugs* Admittedly ... it brings joy to revive my memory and share a bit more than just a pleasant sight.

*thinks of all the baby showers, birthday and wedding party decorations* ... speaking of details, Kin? ^^

Last close-up from the first scene ...

hidden folk - My Hidden Folk Waterb10

The tiny flower baby is from another short lived project, inspired by Anne Geddes. Some are as close as I could reproduce her works, some are totally my own. They fit so well with the Hidden Folk I consider them part of that world now.

http://www.annegeddes.com/

Last edited by Embala on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:11 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Nibblet

Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 5:54 pm

Oh my goodness, I totally missed this little one! She/he is so adorable!

Back to top Go down
Wiseshaman

Wiseshaman

PostSubject: I love it!   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptyTue Apr 01, 2014 9:18 pm

I totally love this!!

Its beyond cute and way past sweet...The clothes were the perfect touch...

http://www.rkanepublications.com/
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptyWed Apr 02, 2014 10:03 pm

I'm honored, Shaman and so happy about your loving comment. *hug*

Tomorrow I have something to satisfy the curious questions ... a making-of Wink

Last edited by Embala on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Stormcatcher

Stormcatcher

Libra Tiger

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 12:47 pm

I'm still amazed by the fishtail detail... imagine if I tried anything like that, I'd have scales and glue all over my fingers! Shocked 
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Making of ...   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 5:09 pm

*chuckles* No glue all over the fingers ... and glue ON the scales is absolutly forbidden! ^^ Believe me, Storm - I learned to handle UHU at a very young age. ÒyÓ

When I was on a roll with my flower fairies I decided to show the making-of of a mermaid ... will be slightly picture heavy ^^

hidden folk - My Hidden Folk Gv_mak12
After plans are made gather the material: a fitting doll, silken carnations, skin colored silken ribbon, some pearls, some artificial branch, glue and scissors ...

hidden folk - My Hidden Folk Gv_mak10
Take the carnations carefully apart and cut it in single pieces - petals and leaves well sorted in size. Bring the legs in a fitting pose and fix them with the ribbon - it also helps to cover the leg gap. In this case add an extention to the feet.

hidden folk - My Hidden Folk Gv_mak11
Roll the leg extention into a loop and cover it carefully with green leaves. Start with the smallest petals at the feet and glue them to the legs so that they look like scales.

hidden folk - My Hidden Folk Gv_mak13
Add back fins ... this way the glued parts will disappear under the scales. btw: keep your working place clean from glue! ^^

hidden folk - My Hidden Folk Gv_mak14
Finish the tail - thighs and hips get the biggest petals, of course. It works best when you glue the scales round by round.
Use the smaller leaves to create some attractive revealing top ^^

I'll tell you later what the pearls are good for ... and what happened (rather unplanned) with the rest of the petals. Wink

Last edited by Embala on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:15 pm; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 5:36 pm

*Jaw completely falls to the floor and speechless*

affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  affraid  

HOLY HIGH ONES Embala!!! This is AMAZING! *blinks* And totally "thinking outside the box" with creativity!!!

Thank you SOO much for sharing your talent! I am so blown away by these, and especially seeing HOW you make your creations! She came out soooooooo beautiful!!

*eagerly EAGERLY waits for more!!*
Back to top Go down
Nibblet

Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 5:43 pm

Love it love it love it!

cheers <--- the nearest to applause I could find

Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Seahorse and Seababy   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 6:27 pm

And the closest to a H cheers G Nibblet! sunny
Your enthusiasm is encouraging, Kindred. Your wish is my joy.

She wasn't even ready on the last shot. Of course Seahorse got arm fins, a headpiece, the pearls decorated on the green parts ... and there was still enough material ...

hidden folk - My Hidden Folk Seahor10

... to grant her wish for a pip. Little Seababy is all her beautiful Mommy!

Last edited by Embala on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:21 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 6:32 pm

O.o

o.O

DO YOU TAKE VISA??????

*just stares at and "awwwwwwwww's" at the mer-baby!!*
Back to top Go down
Nibblet

Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptyThu Apr 03, 2014 6:35 pm

This is an absolutely adorable scene! I love this!

Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Queen Usambara and Echinacea   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptyFri Apr 04, 2014 7:05 pm

I've made some as gifts or by request, Kin - actually sold one or two. ^^

Thank you, Nibblet I love you Another scene for you ... for all who like to look! Smile

hidden folk - My Hidden Folk Gv_usa10

*shhh* Queen Usambara has taken her youngest tribe member to a hidden glade deep in the forests. Little Echinacea stands still and big eyed when the tiny Pollen Folk shows up to play.

Last edited by Embala on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 2:35 am

How in the world of Two Moons you don't have crossed eyes, or fingers glued permanently together when doing these is truly a talent in itself  Suspect 

I'm not missing anything THIS time! I see the teeny tiny little bugger hiding on the right!  Laughing 

I absolutely love the colors you chose for this one... very deep and rich! And to top it off, you do amazing detailed work with the scenery that surrounds your dolls!
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 10:31 am

This special glue and me are best friends for half a century now, Kin. We have discussions then and now but most of the time we get along well. Wink

The silken flowers are very realistic takes on the African violet and the coneflower. I did my best to arrange them around the doll closest possible to a natural look.
The "display shots" are from a small exhibition I had at my bankhouse, filling a showcase during Fasching (carneval time in Germany). I've put some effort in the grouping of the dolls and the display environment ... thanks for noticing, Kin! sunny

*chuckles* You are warned now ... I tend to hide details Wink The following close-ups will reveal nothing new besides a better look at details.

hidden folk - My Hidden Folk Usamba10

Queen Usambara is supposed to be very young (like Cutter or Ember in the beginning), taking lead after her father mysteriously disappeared with the bigger part of the tribe. Little Echinacea is the first bud born after this decimation.

Last edited by Embala on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:26 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Leanan

Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptySat Apr 05, 2014 11:33 am

These are all so wonderful and adorable! You're a true artist!
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptySun Apr 06, 2014 1:57 pm

I'm flatterd, Leanan - and glad that you like them so much. Very Happy I'm very content how Usambara's boots turned out.

Here's a better look on tiny Raspberry ... she's a cutie.

hidden folk - My Hidden Folk Brombe10

Last edited by Embala on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Kojiyumi

Kojiyumi

Scorpio Horse

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptyMon Apr 07, 2014 8:42 pm

SO much lovely! Art in creation and recreation!
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk EmptyTue Apr 08, 2014 9:38 pm

Oh Serval ... your comment feels like purrs. I cannot express it otherwise *hug*

hidden folk - My Hidden Folk Beeren10

Here are the "little buggers", Kin Very Happy ... two of them! They are basically naked - with berry hats and "sitting behind some leaves" on the minature branch.

Last edited by Embala on Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Hidden Folk   hidden folk - My Hidden Folk Empty

Back to top Go down

My Hidden Folk
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next