Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Final Quest #24

Go down 
+40
Prayer
sueb
Outlier
Startear
Paranthropus
Stormcatcher
Wiseshaman
wingthing
Miss Gillespie
G0lden
Zadzi
IceTooth
Multi-Facets
Kindredsoul
Sadachbia
Kojiyumi
BlueCoyote
Cleopatra
namuhna
Wisp
Vaeri
Stargazer
howler monkey
faeriegirl
Anaid
PCoquelin
ErinC1978
Prism
Bluetree
Davrille
manga
Josine
Evil Evie
Sifra
Embala
Anduinel
Shadowpath
Elwing
Lunakat
jaRf
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Anaid

Anaid

Final Quest #24 - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 9:12 am

G0lden wrote:
It is almost as if Wendy had no clue how to end the story.

Well, I've been having this question for a couple of days now: What was this quest about? What were the elves (Cutter?) looking for? Other elves? Nope. The lost dwelling of the high ones? Nope. The shards of the palace? Nope.

Maybe I just haven't been paying attention, but nothing comes to mind. And if you don't have an actual end goal, I'm not surprised it feels like there's no finish line ...
Back to top Go down
G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 9:33 am

No finish line or finish for that matter.

Is Wendy going to pull a Cutter is alive and well when the new cub is born?

Final Quest #24 - Page 7 Ba_for10
Back to top Go down
Stargazer

Stargazer

Cancer Cat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 9:52 am

I guess Cutter was just a breeze through Leetah’s hair after all.
Back to top Go down
Sadachbia

Sadachbia

Aquarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 12:32 pm

By the way, if anyone here uses Discord, I've got my own Elfquest server that's free to join! Let me know if you want the link ^^
Back to top Go down
http://AmethystSadachbia.deviantART.com
faeriegirl

faeriegirl

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 2:56 pm

Anaid wrote:

Well, I've been having this question for a couple of days now: What was this quest about? What were the elves (Cutter?) looking for? Other elves? Nope. The lost dwelling of the high ones? Nope. The shards of the palace? Nope.

Maybe I just haven't been paying attention, but nothing comes to mind. And if you don't have an actual end goal, I'm not surprised it feels like there's no finish line ...
Theories on the FB page state that Cutter’s quest to unite all elves (and trolls, and humans too) has been fulfilled and thus his journey is ended.

I did like the theory that Death was cheated when Skywise killed the spider at Cutter’s birth, and that basically the spider got him after all.

Final Quest #24 - Page 7 Faerie10
Back to top Go down
Kojiyumi

Kojiyumi

Scorpio Horse

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 4:05 pm

faeriegirl wrote:
Anaid wrote:

Theories on the FB page state that Cutter’s quest to unite all elves (and trolls, and humans too) has been fulfilled and thus his journey is ended.

I did like the theory that Death was cheated when Skywise killed the spider at Cutter’s birth, and that basically the spider got him after all.

And so basically he was a means for Timmain to fix what had been broken.

Still feels like the door could have been closed with more elegance.

Perhaps that world chose, yes.... but a pureblooded elf can die of a spider bite...

What of something we haven't seen on page yet?  Perhaps passing quietly at the natural, or near natural end of his life, once he's seen fully the measure of his life's work, not in a moment of uncertainty of what's truly to come...? After all, a life that can be walked to the end of its natural path is so precious a gift that Timmain took it with her?  

But that's just my two bits.  Maybe I'm just rambling.

Final Quest #24 - Page 7 Tumblr_of0fbmjDIk1u7ihlyo1_500

Final Quest #24 - Page 7 Sig10
*✲゚*。✧KOJIYUMI✧。*✲゚*

ණ⃛(ᵒ͈̑ᴗ̂ᵒ͈̑ )” Getting stuff done at the speed of smell! ─=≡Σ((( つ•̀ω•́)つ

Final Quest #24 - Page 7 Sigimage
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 4:50 pm

Kojiyumi wrote:
What of something we haven't seen on page yet?  Perhaps passing quietly at the natural, or near natural end of his life, once he's seen fully the measure of his life's work, not in a moment of uncertainty of what's truly to come...? After all, a life that can be walked to the end of its natural path is so precious a gift that Timmain took it with her?
I would have loved THIS!

... even more - this would have been something that was truely hinted in a very early drawing!

Final Quest #24 - Page 7 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
faeriegirl

faeriegirl

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 5:19 pm

Wendy just posted this on FB:

“Since the speculation has come up multiple times: This is just Richard's and my POV. If you guys want to interpret it differently, your POV is just as valid as ours. The way Richard and I planned it, Leetah (already exhausted from healing Shuna) really was trying to get to Cutter in time to heal him. She would've if she could've. If you look at how the death scene plays out, everything's right in the moment. He passes the instant her arms go around him. There's no element of Leetah thinking about his choice (we would've addressed that if it was our intention for the story). But all of you are correct that Leetah's personal story arc of learning to accept death as a natural part of life, even if it comes out of the blue, enables her to bear the sudden and totally unexpected loss of her beloved lifemate without blaming herself.”

Back to top Go down
jaRf

jaRf

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 7:49 pm

The reason is simply the off-world / off-comic reason that the series had to end. You kill the main character - the series ends. So you kill the main characters. No matter the cost, no matter if it's far fetched or if it fits the inner logic of the world.

That is what one would call flimsy storytelling. Or just not having enough time to prepare a decent end.

(Just like the fall of a feather, right? *sigh*)
Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 8:24 pm

faeriegirl wrote:
Wendy just posted this on FB:

“The way Richard and I planned it, Leetah (already exhausted from healing Shuna) really was trying to get to Cutter in time to heal him. She would've if she could've. If you look at how the death scene plays out, everything's right in the moment. He passes the instant her arms go around him. There's no element of Leetah thinking about his choice (we would've addressed that if it was our intention for the story).”

Soo.... Leetah didn't restart his heart a la electric paddles to buy herself some time to flush the poison, because.... she physically can't? She never even considering restarting a heart?  Or brain death happens instantaneously with cardiac arrest in elves? Or cardiac arrest actually happened several minutes ago but elfin physiology is such Cutter remains conscious until his last neuron ran out of oxygen?  

I dunno about everyone else, but it annoys me when Elfquest presents itself as a rational fantasy where magic is really just advanced telekinetic powers from alien coneheads, and Recognition is a biological imperative coded at the cellular level... until it conflicts with the plot, and then out the window it goes!

It would have been far BETTER had WaRP taken the time to address that Cutter had the elfin equivalent of a DNR.

.... sigh. I know I'm overthinking it. But dammit, EQ used to reward critical thought! Things used to make more sense the more you mulled them over, not less!
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 9:11 pm

Who needs critical thought when you can have a nice shiny magical slice of fruitcake ?

Final Quest #24 - Page 7 Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 9:27 pm

More like nutcake, Zadzi. Wink

I too would have loved to have seen Cutter die of old age. I think a lot could have been done powerfully with that.
Back to top Go down
Multi-Facets

Multi-Facets

Sagittarius Dog

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 10:02 pm

wingthing wrote:
Soo.... Leetah didn't restart his heart a la electric paddles to buy herself some time to flush the poison, because.... she physically can't? She never even considering restarting a heart?  Or brain death happens instantaneously with cardiac arrest in elves? Or cardiac arrest actually happened several minutes ago but elfin physiology is such Cutter remains conscious until his last neuron ran out of oxygen?

Don't forget what happened the last time Leetah tried something like that: One-Eye still died even though his mostly-dead body was preserved by Petalwing, and Leetah loathed herself for her hubris and for forcing his body into a mockery of life. And when she found Cutter surrounded by the wood-elves, she asked him if he still wanted to live.

With Cutter's spirit newly departed, he wouldn't have been in a position to ask for healing; Ruffel was implied to be unable to communicate right away after she died, after all. And even if he could, Cutter's shell might've ended up like One-Eye's even if Leetah wasn't too tired, and why would she want to do that to her beloved lifemate?

But that's just me. You don't have to take me seriously.

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyWed Mar 07, 2018 10:25 pm

Arguably, One Eye had been dead already for a bit before Leetah reached him in Two Edge's place. He was in wrapstuff but had been already dead. Ultimately, though I think if she (and I mean Wendy) really wanted to save him she would've made him one of those exception type healings. But she was trying to say something poetic with his death. I'm not against it but again it just seemed a bit eh, what's the point? Though i think this has been my general mood throughout FinalQuest overall.

Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2018 7:42 am

wingthing wrote:
I dunno about everyone else, but it annoys me when Elfquest presents itself as a rational fantasy where magic is really just advanced telekinetic powers from alien coneheads, and Recognition is a biological imperative coded at the cellular level... until it conflicts with the plot, and then out the window it goes!

Realism in fantasy is great, but for me EQ never really worked as fantasy grounded in reality. If I wanted it to be grounded in reality, it would be on me to do so.

IceTooth

Scorpio Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2018 5:59 pm

Embala wrote:

... even more - this would have been something that was truely hinted in a very early drawing!

Thank you for sharing that! I was thinking the very same thing as I remember that picture from way back when and I always assumed that Cutter would live to be an old elf someday where he could just relax and stare at the stars with Skywise.

Someone mentioned Bearclaw and Joyleaf's spirits not being there...now here's a strange thing...if Cutter really shares Timmain's spirit (whatever the f that means!)...then does that mean he doesn't have a spirit of his own to travel around after death? They never show his spirit and Timmain doesn't even seem to give a crap that his mortal body is deceased...

The more I think on it, the more I really dislike FQ and the ending. Like Star Wars...Elfquest is dead to me. I'll continue to enjoy the early stuff but will avoid anything new they are making...and the old magic is gone...long gone. Sad
Back to top Go down
Kojiyumi

Kojiyumi

Scorpio Horse

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2018 6:25 pm

IceTooth wrote:

Someone mentioned Bearclaw and Joyleaf's spirits not being there...now here's a strange thing...if Cutter really shares Timmain's spirit (whatever the f that means!)...then does that mean he doesn't have a spirit of his own to travel around after death? They never show his spirit and Timmain doesn't even seem to give a crap that his mortal body is deceased...

I had assumed that's what that sparkle was over Timmain's stomach in the panel where Skywise shifted back to small elf form. That he was rejoining Timmain's main. But I could be wrong.

Unless, of course, it's hinting he's going to be reborn as Jink. jocolor

*✲゚*。✧KOJIYUMI✧。*✲゚*

Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyThu Mar 08, 2018 7:07 pm

Kojiyumi wrote:

Whoa, that would be insane. Maybe that's why Jink mind wipes Skywise !!!

Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2018 12:42 am

Zadzi wrote:
Kojiyumi wrote:

Okay, I am totally headcanoning this. Cutter is his own mother! This puts the Windkin-Teir time paradox pseudo-incest to shame!

Because yeah, I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it, but that one "modesty sparkle" Timmain has hanging right over her uterus is damn suspicious.

Back to top Go down
Stargazer

Stargazer

Cancer Cat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2018 3:53 am

I had to go and look up the sparkle too because that slipped under my radar. It’s too deliberately placed to be a random sparkle. I’m not sure it means he’s Jink because WP has now said Future Quest is just imaginings so Jink may have been retconned out, but it could well mean he’s reborn as Skywise and Timmains cub. Seriously, at this point nothing would surprise me. Except perhaps a gripping, well told story.
Back to top Go down
Kojiyumi

Kojiyumi

Scorpio Horse

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2018 4:40 am

wingthing wrote:
Zadzi wrote:
Kojiyumi wrote:

Okay, I am totally headcanoning this. Cutter is his own mother! This puts the Windkin-Teir time paradox pseudo-incest to shame!

Because yeah, I hadn't noticed it until you mentioned it, but that one "modesty sparkle" Timmain has hanging right over her uterus is damn suspicious.

Someone had to do it...

*✲゚*。✧KOJIYUMI✧。*✲゚*

Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2018 1:13 pm

Stargazer wrote:
Seriously, at this point nothing would surprise me. Except perhaps a gripping, well told story.

Final Quest #24 - Page 7 Giphy lol!
Back to top Go down
Sadachbia

Sadachbia

Aquarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2018 1:35 pm

Kojiyumi, I already invoked "I'm My Own Grandpa" when we found out Cutter was Timmain XD
Back to top Go down
Sadachbia

Sadachbia

Aquarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2018 1:36 pm

Shameless self-promotion here, but if you're really unsatisfied with how EQ canonically ended, why not give my AU comics a shot? Twisted Evil https://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t601-return-to-innocence-au
Back to top Go down
faeriegirl

faeriegirl

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 EmptyFri Mar 09, 2018 4:54 pm

Richard said this on FB, wanted to drop it here:

[quote=“Elfpop”] I know I'm late to this party, but there's one other aspect of Cutter's death moment that bears mentioning. We've heard a few comments to the effect of "Leetah got there the moment before Cutter actually died. She COULD have saved him."

No, she couldn't have. Think about every time you've seen Leetah do a major healing. When Cutter got gored by the troll spear in the war with the northern trolls. When she healed Shuna (the girl) of her disease. When she healed Shuna (the adult) of the sword wound. These healings all took time - in some cases lots of it - and energy (lots of that too). By the time Leetah had finished healing adult Shuna, she was spent, exhausted. She couldn't have healed a minor bruise at that point. Healing isn't snap-your-fingers magic, and as Wendy has said, Leetah wanted very much to save Cutter, and would have if she could. But she couldn't. Her strength in the moments following Cutter's passing lies in her acceptance of that inescapable truth.[/quote]

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Final Quest #24
Page 7 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10, 11, 12  Next