Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts

Go down 
+18
Tynami
Tymber
Prism
Lunakat
Yeee
Startear
G0lden
Kindredsoul
PCoquelin
Embala
Nibblet
Kojiyumi
Stormcatcher
IceTooth
Sorandril [BANNED]
Outlier
Redhead Ember
Trollbabe
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptySat May 02, 2020 9:56 pm

Got cheap bath tissue yesterday and cheat paper towels today. Right place at the right time.

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptySat May 02, 2020 10:33 pm

Toilet paper and paper towels are in great abundance here, it's the Clorox/Lysol wipes and spray you can't get

Our regional manager from St Louis asked my manager today about us stocking up on the stuff and she went "HOW? NO ONE HAS IT!"

He had a "derp" moment...... Laughing

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 Santa_10Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 Downlo23Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 Av_cut10Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 2020_k13
Compliments go to Embala for bringing a British cat and an American dog together via Photoshop!
chibi cutter compliments of katcombs!
Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptySun May 03, 2020 10:12 pm

I was lucky. I had already stocked up on paper towels just before the beginning of the year. TP still had quite a bit of that, but when our local Walgreens got some extra.

My son actually witnessed one woman till her cart full of tp. When told there was a limit, she started going on about racial profiling. He was stunned to say the least.

Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyMon May 04, 2020 9:08 am

I'm sorry to say that some people pull the race card as a reflex to any situation in which they lose patience. I also get white people who think they should be served ahead of minorities, as well. It's annoying, but that's how they go through life.

I agree that it is shocking how some people behave. Hard times bring out the best and the worst in people. Many are still in denial.

Stores have a limit of one purchase for several items. We only take what we need, even when we have the opportunity to go back later and get more. Although the store owns the supply, your son understands that he is sharing with other shoppers, including his friends and neighbors. He sees the diminishing pile of goods on the shelf, not just what is in his cart.

I think of this as the equivalent of wartime shortages, when people were issued ration tickets and were asked not to hoard products. We are at war with a virus, and we should treat the situation just as our elders did when they were on the "home front."

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyMon May 04, 2020 9:18 am

[quote="Kindredsoul"]Toilet paper and paper towels are in great abundance here, it's the Clorox/Lysol wipes and spray you can't get

Same here. I took the Lysol spray out of the bathroom and replaced it with a cheap can of Glade. Lysol contains alcohol, and any disinfectant made with alcohol is in short supply. So I store it with the rubbing alcohol and the hand sanitizer.

The wipes and the Lysol spray are a convenience. People should buy disinfectant concentrates, as well as the empty spray bottles that are available at auto supply stores and discount stores. If they follow the instructions, they can mix the solution in a bucket or a gallon jug, label it, fill the bottles and label them as well. This takes patience and attention.

Sorandril [BANNED]

Aquarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyMon May 04, 2020 12:10 pm

I often admire my grandparents for their tenacity and hard work in a dire situation. First the economy collapsed for a decade, then we had to go fight the Axis. Toughest times i can think of.
Back to top Go down
G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyMon May 04, 2020 4:00 pm

When the Walgreens has tp. I will buy 1 and there my son will go and get 1 later. That way we keep plenty of tp in the house. I did find a small bottle of bleach recently. I also go a spray bottle of cleaner with bleach a couple of weeks ago.

Stormcatcher

Stormcatcher

Libra Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyMon May 04, 2020 5:01 pm

Don't quite know where to start... I just don't understand the obsession with disinfectants.

The only kind of disinfectant I ever use in my household is a chlorine loo cleaner and I use it sparingly. There is no need to fight coronaviruses with special disinfectants or nuke it from outer space.

Coronaviruses are made of a single RNA-strand encapsuled by a protein shell. This shell is extremely sensitive to all kinds of radiation and extremes of alkaline or acidic surroundings. Vinegar will destroy it, soap will too. The RNA will lie there bare as an earthworm in the sun, unable to spread infection because it needs its nucleocapsid spikes to dock at human cells.
If you only want to fight coronaviruses on surfaces like doorknobs and other handles, soaping it off or wiping with vinegar or lemon juice will be just as effective.

There is really no need to use overkill disinfectants in your home. It might even kill the nice bacteria living on your skin to make room for their nastier cousins. Please be sensible, soap/alcohol or vinegar/fruit juice will do the trick. And it will not harm your nice and natural bacterias.

Yeee

Virgo Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyMon May 04, 2020 6:06 pm

exactly, Storm. Couldn `t have said it better.
We get a hole new evolution of desinfection -resistant microorganism with all that mad cleaning.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 Courts12Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 Rayhan26Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 Rayhan27Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 Scree165  
playing with Hero Forge
Back to top Go down
Kojiyumi

Kojiyumi

Scorpio Horse

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyMon May 04, 2020 6:18 pm

Stormcatcher wrote:
Don't quite know where to start... I just don't understand the obsession with disinfectants.

The only kind of disinfectant I ever use in my household is a chlorine loo cleaner and I use it sparingly.  There is no need to fight coronaviruses with special disinfectants or nuke it from outer space.  

Coronaviruses are made of a single RNA-strand encapsuled by a protein shell.  This shell is extremely sensitive to all kinds of radiation and extremes of alkaline or acidic surroundings.  Vinegar will destroy it, soap will too.  The RNA will lie there bare as an earthworm in the sun, unable to spread infection because it needs its nucleocapsid spikes to dock at human cells.
If you only want to fight coronaviruses on surfaces like doorknobs and other handles, soaping it off or wiping with vinegar or lemon juice will be just as effective.

There is really no need to use overkill disinfectants in your home.  It might even kill the nice bacteria living on your skin to make room for their nastier cousins.  Please be sensible, soap/alcohol or vinegar/fruit juice will do the trick.  And it will not harm your nice and natural bacterias.

Well, actually, the focus is because the CDC/WHO came out with the guidelines of what actually kills this thing, and how it works.  While some things might be killable with that, this isn't one of them.

Firstoff, the makeup of the virus body is slightly different.  More https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Positive-sense_single-stranded_RNA_virus on what it actually is.  

Vinegar is great for a lot of things. I use it to clean down my catboxes.  However, https://davidsuzuki.org/queen-of-green/does-vinegar-kill-germs/

Neither does citric acid, though it is useful against rhinovirus (common cold), corona just kind of ignores it and keeps right on being a problem.

Fruit juice is just going to attract ants... Got enough of those already.  Or if you're in WA state... murder hornets.

From CDC's site:  General recommendations for routine cleaning and disinfection of households

Community members can practice routine cleaning of frequently touched surfaces (for example: tables, doorknobs, light switches, handles, desks, toilets, faucets, sinks, and electronics (see below for special electronics cleaning and disinfection instructions)) with household cleaners and EPA-registered disinfectants that are appropriate for the surface, following label instructions. Labels contain instructions for safe and effective use of the cleaning product including precautions you should take when applying the product, such as wearing gloves and making sure you have good ventilation during use of the product.
       For electronics follow the manufacturer’s instructions for all cleaning and disinfection products. Consider use of wipeable covers for electronics. If no manufacturer guidance is available, consider the use of alcohol-based wipes or spray containing at least 70% alcohol to disinfect touch screens. Dry surfaces thoroughly to avoid pooling of liquids.

A list of products found to be effective are listed https://www.epa.gov/pesticide-registration/list-n-disinfectants-use-against-sars-cov-2

Lysol and Clorox wipes are actually listed to kill Coronaviruses, so that's why there's a run on them.  I've also made my own with a jar and paper towels and a bottle of 70% alcohol.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 Sig10
*✲゚*。✧KOJIYUMI✧。*✲゚*

ණ⃛(ᵒ͈̑ᴗ̂ᵒ͈̑ )” Getting stuff done at the speed of smell! ─=≡Σ((( つ•̀ω•́)つ

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 Sigimage
Back to top Go down
Kojiyumi

Kojiyumi

Scorpio Horse

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyMon May 04, 2020 6:30 pm

And actually the vinegar I use is about a 30% concentration (household distilled white is like 5%).  You have to wear gloves and open windows to use it or your eyes and lungs will hate you for a good while. It can cause chemical burns if it gets on your skin.  Drinking it would put you in the hospital (if not the morgue).  Kills plants dead, so great for weeds.  But it's great for removing limescale off of pipes and getting rid of cat smell.  So you could maybe try that strength and see if it works.  It's pretty much the same as using bleach or ammonia.

*✲゚*。✧KOJIYUMI✧。*✲゚*

Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyMon May 04, 2020 10:56 pm

Call me Scouter. I'm adept at finding out where to buy goat meat, rent a wheelchair, find curry powder in pint-size cans or brown rice in ten-pound sacks. Within the last week I have discovered an auto parts store that sells disposable rubber gloves and a laundromat that sells earloop masks. Buy local!

Stormcatcher

Libra Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyWed May 06, 2020 5:23 pm

And I thought face masks looked dumb...

https://japantoday.com/category/features/new-products/japanese-company-selling-anti-infection-paper-helmets

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyFri May 08, 2020 11:57 am

Wow. Wonder what happens when your window fogs up.

Nibblet

Nibblet

Pisces Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyFri May 08, 2020 1:03 pm

G0lden wrote:
Wow.  Wonder what happens when your window fogs up.

lol! lol! lol!

Zebbed as the First Lady of Naughtyniceness!
Cast as Petalwing in the EQ Forums Movie
Dubbed Google Queen by Kindredsoul
Back to top Go down
G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyMon May 11, 2020 5:56 pm

Employer is put out because my leave be extended until end of May.

Kojiyumi

Kojiyumi

Scorpio Horse

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyWed May 13, 2020 6:44 pm

Still banned from work.  

My sister paid to have three memorial trees planted in memory of my cousin.

Have a bit of gallow's humor.

*✲゚*。✧KOJIYUMI✧。*✲゚*

Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyThu May 14, 2020 12:15 am

Apparently, out of all 50 states, West Virginia has been doing something right, even though we're labeled as "Dumb Hillbillies"

Suspect

Maybe this is why we're the state with the lowest cases and deaths......

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 3qklspl4juw41

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 Santa_10Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 Downlo23Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 Av_cut10Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 2020_k13
Compliments go to Embala for bringing a British cat and an American dog together via Photoshop!
chibi cutter compliments of katcombs!
Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyThu May 14, 2020 10:09 am

I saw on the news that the availability of personal testing for the presence of COVID-19 antibodies varies widely between states and territories in the USA.

I'm skeptical of nasal swabs. Don't particles in the air go in and out of your nose all day long? A blood test would make more sense.

I also saw yesterday that the availability of disinfectants and sanitizers is expected to be a problem until the end of July, and that the issue is manufacturing rather than shipping.

This gives me something to tell customers when they ask. However, we are getting products at a trickle that we hadn't seen in weeks and months. Specifically the Lysol brand of products is making a slow comeback.

Vinyl and nitrile gloves are appearing in very short supply. Ear loop masks are showing up at places that never would have sold them in normal times.

Kojiyumi mentioned 70% alcohol. I haven't seen it on shelves since January, when I stocked up on it. I still have two unopened bottles.

If anyone in the household has to take regular insulin injections, as does Trollhubby, this is actually more critical than toilet paper. Not wiping the injection area is the equivalent of using a dirty needle.

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyThu May 14, 2020 10:53 am

Rather than posting a link, I am copying and pasting this article from Forbes, a business magazine and website:

Forbes, May 12, from Associated Press:

What can we do to reduce the risks?

A recent scientific study shows that one simple maneuver could reduce COVID-19 cases by as much as 80%. An international team of scientists has introduced
new models
to provide interactive representation of various options and effects - but none more powerful than this one. While the US continues to reopen businesses,
what is the one thing that could further reduce the spread of the virus?

According to the latest data, history and science tell the same story: wearing a mask - combined with social distancing - stops the spread of the virus.
Today, after much debate over the effectiveness against the virus, NBC News reports that all White House staffers are required to wear masks.
Secret Service members who work near the President and other leaders already are.

Based on research and scientific models from UC Berkley’s International Computer Science Institute and Hong Kong University of Science and Technology,
wearing masks can cut the incidence of cases by as much as 80%. “I felt like this was pretty urgent,” says lead researcher, Dr. Dekai Wu
(or as he is more commonly known, just DeKai), pointing to a living example of why his scientific model shows significant promise.

On March 6 in Japan, a country of 126 million, 21 people died of COVID-19. On the same day, 2,129 people died in the US - over 10 times the deaths in Japan.
(The US population is only 2.6 times greater by comparison). While America begins reopening, Japan never closed. As I write these words,
Japan shows no new cases, with only 624 deaths. Today, the US added 14,325 cases, despite tweets from the White House that nationwide numbers are declining.
The USA continues to lead the world: 781 new deaths today bring the total US number to 81,568, according to the Worldometer coronavirus website.

The Land of the Rising Sun has had no lockdown, no stopped subways and most businesses have remained open. Social distancing measures have been in place,
but by and large the Japanese economy has remained mostly unchecked, with minimal overall impact from COVID-19 (relative to the United States).

The reason, DeKai points out, is that nearly everyone there is wearing a mask.

The science stems from a computer forecasting model called the maskim simulator. Guy-Philippe Goldstein, an economist and collaborator on the study from the
Ecole de Guerre Economique in Paris, says that wearing a mask is the only thing that works in beating back the coronavirus. “Along with social distancing,” he says,
“to flatten the curve of infections as we wait for treatments and vaccines to be developed.”

However, the plan hinges on widespread support and unified engagement, like what is seen in Japan, Hong Kong and other global locations,
where mask-wearing is the norm. “If you get down to 30 or 40% [of people wearing masks], you get almost no [beneficial] effect at all.”

As this recent article in Vanity Fair points out, any model is only as good as its inputs - and assumptions. Statistically speaking,
wearing a mask is our best and first line of defense until a vaccine or cure is developed.

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyThu May 14, 2020 11:21 am

Again, my intent with this thread is not to get into politics, but to show how the everyday habits of a majority of people can improve how we all live.

As an American over sixty, I have observed how many times we have changed our habits since my childhood.

People use seatbelts when riding in cars, and helmets when riding on bicycles.
Smoking is banned or restricted in public places and on public transportation.
We have open and serious discussions about issues like mental illness, addictions and sexual abuse.
Since the introduction of 911 service, even preschool children know how to summon police and paramedics.
Bacon and fried eggs are no longer considered a healthy breakfast to eat every day.

If wearing a mask and keeping six feet away from other people becomes a new normal, I can deal with it.

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyThu May 14, 2020 4:50 pm

I'm doing good on all of my meds. I need to get some groceries tomorrow. TP is still in short supply, but we got plenty here at the house. Now there was a run on meat, we're good for that too. So far so good.

At 58, I remember a time when seatbelts were optional, we could ride in the back of a pick-up (well my brother and I stood up behind the cab of the truck on the back roads. Even rode in the back from Grass Valley, CA to New Hall, CA as a child. Figure that one out), and we used to by my parents their cigarettes before they finally quit. Yes things have changed over the years. Six feet social distancing is fine. although how that will be done on a bus no clue. Wearing a mask no issue. For those who are protesting, pure foolishness. Your health is so much more important.

Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyFri May 15, 2020 9:07 am

G0lden, you're not far behind me. I think that social distancing and mask-wearing will stay with us, in some modified fashion.

Some American cities have laws against concealing one's face in public. Ear loop masks aren't considered concealment because people with allergies and other heath conditions always wore them.

During the pandemic, some have suspended the law. After it comes back into effect, it may be necessary for people to either wear ear loop masks, contractor's dust masks, or the washable masks that are now widely available.

As summer arrives in the Northern Hemisphere, I expect people will develop mask tan lines after spending time outside. Very Happy

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyFri May 15, 2020 11:53 am

Good grief, First sunglass tan lines and now face mask.

G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 EmptyFri May 15, 2020 8:45 pm

Yay!!!! I found bleach!!! So I got 1 gal. Store had no bags so I had to arrange things to keep the small stuff from falling out of my cart. Got every thing too. Then I ordered more laundry soap and other things for delivery.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts   Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Positive and personal thoughts
Page 4 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next