Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Traces of actual mythology found in Elfquest?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Sorandril [BANNED]

Sorandril [BANNED]

Aquarius Rooster

Traces of actual mythology found in Elfquest? Empty
PostSubject: Traces of actual mythology found in Elfquest?   Traces of actual mythology found in Elfquest? EmptySat Sep 19, 2020 1:25 pm

Ok, Been thinking about this one for a minute.

We see the Wolfriders and their cousins waving around steel items all the time...

but the Sun Folk are generally described as using the usual copper and brass items...

and considering their location im pretty sure the Gliders have titanium.

(insert Gimli here saying "Mithral!")

Considering ive actually contracted a metal allergy (more common than one might think especially after so much auto and restaurant work), this made me realize... yes, this totally lines up with the old Celtic stories in which the sidhe of the Hunt didnt have that little problem.... (however im certain Sorbus sp. is still a problem. and maybe silver...)

it even makes sense in the context of starsong and wolfsong. Stellar fusion stops at iron, and im sure Richard knew about this.

However, if made immortal, they dont suddenly gain this little problem, like say Skywise or the Go-Backs (aka Timmain's Problem Children)

Its never mentioned but im sure some things are best not left mentioned... lol
Back to top Go down
G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Traces of actual mythology found in Elfquest?   Traces of actual mythology found in Elfquest? EmptySun Sep 20, 2020 1:26 am

Wendy was influenced by JRR Tolkien's work. You will find references of his work if you look closely.

Sorandril [BANNED]

Sorandril [BANNED]

Aquarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Traces of actual mythology found in Elfquest?   Traces of actual mythology found in Elfquest? EmptySun Sep 20, 2020 1:42 am

True, although you’ll find Tolkien’s influences there as well. Like the Palace slamming to Earth and bringing the elves there - about the same as the Tuatha, although in this case it was trolls and not an iron deposit.

Not to mention “Timmain”....

Still don’t get how the heck Tolkien’s elves are part Norse alfar and part Irish Daoine Sidhe yet that detail about iron got left out.
Back to top Go down
G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Traces of actual mythology found in Elfquest?   Traces of actual mythology found in Elfquest? EmptySun Sep 20, 2020 2:48 am

Tolkien borrowed many of his ideas from different cultures mythologies. You will notice this if you have read the Silmarillian or Lord of the Rings.

Mind you, I am of the mindset that our ancestors did witness something extraordinary and the tales they told of these events many consider myths.

Leanan

Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Traces of actual mythology found in Elfquest?   Traces of actual mythology found in Elfquest? EmptySun Sep 20, 2020 10:43 am

There are legends in many countries about elves/fairies/goblins stealing human children. I think that influenced the idea that Mantricker and Bearclaw would steal babies from the humans just for fun.

Back to top Go down
Sorandril [BANNED]

Sorandril [BANNED]

Aquarius Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Traces of actual mythology found in Elfquest?   Traces of actual mythology found in Elfquest? EmptyTue Sep 22, 2020 8:03 pm

Update:

Its, as i suspected, my moms side of the family.

I think its from my Swedish GGma. She was about 4 1/2 feet tall and suddenly appears 100 years ago
and boards a boat headed for America.

This, and my current surroundings only furthers my theory that the old legends are talking about a lost subrace.

Also, in most respects, i seem to fit the words "Daoine Sidhe".

So much for "not otherwise specified"....

Did i mention sorbic acid gives me a headache....?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Traces of actual mythology found in Elfquest?   Traces of actual mythology found in Elfquest? Empty

Back to top Go down

Traces of actual mythology found in Elfquest?
Page 1 of 1