Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Huntress Skyfire

Go down 
+5
Wisp
Redhead Ember
Cloudbuck
Startear
kathleen3.0
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

04 - Huntress Skyfire Empty
PostSubject: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptySat Sep 19, 2015 10:45 pm

Skyfire ... this was Skyfire's thread, opened by crescent1325, on the original Scroll of Colors. Follow old discussions and see fanart from earlier times.

Visit Skyfire's bio page on Elfquest.com.

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 8:06 am

'Character Bio':

Huntress Skyfire (f)

Deceased – mortal
Daughter of Prey-Pacer and Wreath
Sister of Two-Spear
Granddaughter of Zarhan, Rahnee, and Laststar
Recognized lifemate of Dreamsinger
Mother of Nightstar and Freefoot
Grandmother of Tanner
Aunt of Kahvi
Lovemate of Icetooth

Last edited by Redhead Ember on Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:18 am; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
Startear

Startear

Aquarius Goat

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 10:31 am

You forgot mother of Starfire!

Anyways, I just posted these thoughts on tumblr.

ladystud wrote:
I think I just figured out what is so off about the Skyfire stories in the anthologies. At least in 1-5 of the books. It’s the glaring lack of community the elves have in their tribe. Rahnee and her group has a community, a very divided one, and sometimes it feels like everyone sticks together only because being alone means the chance of dying very drastically increases. So they figure out how to settle differences and it works.

With Prey-Pacer’s stories, it’s a lot more of community. People still have disagreements, there are still issues and he makes one. But mostly everyone gets along, you even have Rellah, yes, that Rellah cracking jokes and helping out... in her own way.

In Two-Spears time, there is this constant struggle between Skyfire and Two-Spear. The whole tribe is divided between who they are loyal too, are they mostly wolves or elves, what do they need to do to survive, flee from the humans or fight? It’s a mess. One has to wonder how the whole thing worked so well. It’s like trying to see how much strain can you put on something before it breaks? But it’s interesting to see just how much conflict there can be in one tribe. There is also community in where they stand.

In the Skyfire stories though, you don’t feel that. Two-Spear is gone. With him he took the conflict, and we are supposed to see that now The Way that Rahnee started on completed.

But in the stories. It’s always Skyfire against her tribe, she always goes off alone, and when she is back with her tribe it’s always tension going on. Either because Dreamsinger isn’t doing anything useful and is having a hard time communicating to the rest of the tribe, her daughters sending is too strong, all the cubs dies in the womb and people are getting very cranky after facing loss after fucking loss. And they end the same way, Skyfire goes alone to face a challenge, maybe says a word or two to Rellah, she comes back either with a feeling of triumph or not. They are very static, and we only see the rest as cranky, and apart from the chieftess. It could have been interesting if the authors had focused on how everyone tries to build a life up after going through so much pressure. But they aren’t doing that. And they do nothing to warm up to her, or show her leadership style. Only time we see her quick thinking is in The Tale of the Snowbeast, which was super clever. But after that? Nothing.

Thanks to Embala for the lovely banner! The quote belongs to Scooter.
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 10:46 am

Startear wrote:
You forgot mother of Starfire!

Not sure Starfire - whoever that is - is considered canon.

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Startear

Startear

Aquarius Goat

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 10:55 am

Starfire is the cub Skyfire had with Dreamsinger.

Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 11:00 am

Startear wrote:
Not sure Starfire - whoever that is - is considered canon.
Probably as much canon as Dreamsinger.

Interesting observations, Startear!

Last edited by Embala on Sat Mar 28, 2020 11:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 12:17 pm

Startear wrote:
Starfire is the cub Skyfire had with Dreamsinger.

Wasn't that Freefoot?

Back to top Go down
kathleen3.0

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 1:33 pm

Bizarrely, no.
Back to top Go down
Startear

Startear

Aquarius Goat

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 2:39 pm

Freefoot was born out of recognition... which is very ironic.

Back to top Go down
sun girl

sun girl

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 5:13 pm

...Who is Starfire? In the Blood of Ten Chiefs short stories, Skyfire and Dreamsinger's daughter was named Nightstar.

(As a point of interest, though very dubiously canon, there was a Recognition in one of the short stories between Zarhan Fastfire and Wreath which implied that Zarhan was Skyfire's father, not Prey-Pacer.)
Back to top Go down
Startear

Startear

Aquarius Goat

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 6:33 pm

... Nightstar. Her name is Nightstar. Yes, sorry. I keep screwing up her name.

Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 6:53 pm

Ah... guessed that Starfire would be the name of Dreamsinger's cub. Don't know the prose stories ... *tries to memorize Nightstar*

I'm tempted to make a thread for Starfire. ^^
... because I remember now who Starfire is...

Last edited by Embala on Tue Apr 05, 2022 5:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 5:49 am

What's the source for all that info?

I basically went:

Skyfire - apparently - recognised Dreamsinger.
Freefoot is the son of Skyfire.
Since I haven't read anything suggesting that Freefoot was born outside of Recognition, I'm going to assume Dreamsinger was Freefoot's sire.

Back to top Go down
sun girl

sun girl

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 6:13 am

The source for the info about Skyfire's Recognition to Dreamsinger and their daughter Nightstar is the prose Blood of Ten Chiefs short stories. One of the stories is set after Dreamsinger's death, and since at that time Nightstar is still a child and there is no mention of a second Recognition or of Freefoot, there's good reason to assume Freefoot is not Dreamsinger's son. Whether Skyfire Recognized someone else later or had him out of Recognition is not known at all.
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 6:47 am

Right. I've added the knew info. (remind me to add it to Dreamsinger's and Freefoot's bios).

What was the story with Dreamsinger?

Back to top Go down
Cloudbuck

Cloudbuck

Gemini Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 11:23 am

As I recall (read the story recently, but since I've been binging on the BoTC prose some of the stories run together in my mind), Dreamsinger was a loner who came seemingly out of nowhere to Skyfire's tribe fairly soon after the split from Two-Spear. The tribe was generally mistrustful of him, since he had very strong magic (virtually unknown in the wolfriders at the time) and never really assimilated into their way of life. He was, as the name suggests, mostly lost in a dream-world and rarely seemed to see practical concerns. As I type this, I actually wonder if wherever he came from could have something to do with Dre-ahn's origins....

Dreamsinger and Skyfire recognized and she was very devoted to him, but it caused a lot of tension in the tribe. Before the birth of their daughter, he was killed by a member of Two-Spear's group who pushed him off a cliff.
Back to top Go down
http://myarmcanfly.net
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 12:35 am

Oh, thanks. I'd heard/read the bit about him being a loner who didn't really say or send much (as in anything at all.)
However, what I thought happened was that he sorta... stayed on the outskirts of the tribe and only met up with Skyfire when he recognized her - possibly more than once. And since I didn't know about that BoTC prose story I just assmued that since:

Freefoot = Skyfire's son.
Skyfire + Dreamsinger = Recognised
Freefoot = Dreamsinger's son

Back to top Go down
Cloudbuck

Cloudbuck

Gemini Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 8:43 am

It's a reasonable assumption to make! I did the same before I read that story, and frankly now I'm a little mystified/confused since there's no indication that I've seen of who his father actually was. As far as I know, although maybe I'm wrong, every chief besides Two-Spear (and Timmorn, obviously) has been the child of Recognition...
Back to top Go down
http://myarmcanfly.net
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 1:50 pm

I always figured that in time the Wolfriders lost the ability to reproduce without Recognition.

Back to top Go down
Wisp

Wisp

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 3:02 pm

I'm pretty sure that both Freefoot and Nightstar were the children of Skyfire and Dreamsinger. I even seem to recall a family tree in the front of one of the anthologies to that effect. I don't have access to my books at the moment to double check.

Dre-Ahn totally reminds me of Dreamsinger. Like him, Dreamsinger would/could neither speak nor send, only sing. I wouldn't be surprised if there were some connection there.
Back to top Go down
Wisp

Wisp

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 3:13 pm

Redhead Ember wrote:
I always figured that in time the Wolfriders lost the ability to reproduce without Recognition.

I think they did, but not until the time of, perhaps, Goodtree or Mantricker. I think Freefoot supposedly had children both in and out of recognition. Indeed, I'm pretty sure Tanner was not a child of recognition. In the anthologies, Freefoot did recognize a non-Wolfrider he met during his wanderings, but I don't think he ever recognized his lifemate, Starflower.
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 3:14 pm

Tanner (Oakroot) was born outside of Recognition to Freefoot and Starflower. Same for his brothers Fangslayer and Long Oak (so I was told).

sun girl

sun girl

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 3:25 pm

There was indeed a family tree that showed Freefoot also as Dreamsinger's son, but the material actually in the stories pretty well contradicted that, so it's kind of a toss-up as to which one you want to believe.

Also Embala is correct, Freefoot was not Recognized to Starflower, so Tanner can be added to the "Chiefs born out of Recognition" list.
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 4:02 pm

Okay... now I'm confused!

Quote :
Huntress Skyfire  Female.  Fifth chief.  Daughter of Wreath and Zarhan.

However, the official bio page says:

Quote :
Huntress Skyfire, daughter of Prey-Pacer and Wreath and half-sister of Two-Spear, was fifth chief of the Wolfriders.

Suppose the official bio would be right...

Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire EmptyMon Jul 04, 2016 4:43 pm

There's a story in the Anthologies where Wreath Recognizes Zarhan before he goes off to look for Rahnee who got carried away by...er, dinosaurs.
Wreath's Recognition to Prey-Pacer's seems to have terminated itself in that story.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Huntress Skyfire   04 - Huntress Skyfire Empty

Back to top Go down

Huntress Skyfire
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Father Tree Holt :: Keeping In Character-
Jump to: