Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two

Go down 
+5
Zadzi
Embala
Lunakat
Redhead Ember
Miss Gillespie
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two Empty
PostSubject: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptyTue Sep 22, 2015 7:19 pm

Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two ... this was Two-Edge's thread, opened by StrangeWays, on the original Scroll of Colors. Follow old discussions and see fanart from earlier times.

Visit Two-Edge's bio page on Elfquest.com.

Last edited by Embala on Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:57 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 9:21 am

'Character Bio':

Two-Edge (m)  Two-Edge

Alive – immortal
Son of Smelt and Winnowill
Lovemate of Ahdri
Mentor of Treestump

Last edited by Redhead Ember on Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:39 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptyFri Mar 11, 2016 12:36 pm

Here's a thought:

When his Elves against Trolls war plot failed - due to the Holt Trolls siding with the elves - his initial reaction was saying that he'd lost. However, could it turn out to be a victory? Showing him that he doesn't have to be either elf or troll, but that the way for him to be whole is to be both?

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 7:41 am

Yes. I think that was the message and point. In order to be whole, Two Edge had to learn to embrace and integrate both sides of himself. But he couldn't do it. Cutter and the Wolfriders demonstrated this ability, in contrast, at the end of the book. Although Strongbow experienced some trauma-- they were collectivly able to embrace their dual heritage as a gift.

Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 10:54 am

Isn't Two-Edge rather like Timmorn? In the end, he, Timmorn, wasn't able to reconcile his two sides, either; but unlike Timmorn, Two-Edge couldn't become a 'not-that-self-conscious' animal.

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 11:04 am

How do you know Timmorn wasn't able to recocile his two sides? The last seen of him - at the end of BoTC1 - has him declaring I am Timmorn! I am here, and I am now!
Looks to me like reconciling his two sides into being simply Timmorn.
Just like Two-Edge - with the right help - must learn to simply be Two-Edge.

Of course the main difference between them is that Timmorn's mother helped him with his split personality, whereas Two-Edge's mother caused his split personality...

Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 11:53 am

Caught on the wrong foot Very Happy I thought the gathering says something like : 'he struggled between Wolf and star song and in the end he shape-changed into a wolf.' (because it was/ seemed easier).
But I'm not sure if I remember correctly or how accurate this statement is

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 12:31 pm

@Redhead-- there's a whole story written about it

Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 12:48 pm

I think the way it read, Timmorn chose to be a wolf and rejected the star song. He was the only one of his kind and the two parts of himself were completely at odds, but both very potent, and no wonder he was going kookoo ....Timmain helped to show him in some ways how special he was. But in Timmorn's case, he really did have to make a conscious choice to be more wolf. That was how he became less tormented.

It's true though that Twoedge's dilemma is less about the two incompatible sides so much as how his mother actively 'split his mind in two'... he is a hybrid and already had to deal with that, but Winnowill made it a lot worse and turned him crazy with her abuse.

I have always wanted Two Edge to find a mate Smile

12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 1:03 pm

Lunakat wrote:

Huh? The only story about Timmorn I've read is the aforementioned BoTC1.

Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 1:48 pm

Hm, Timmain and the alpha couldn't help Timmorn to merge star and wolf song, Two-Edge's parents (Winnie at least, Smelt didn't have a chance) didn't, even though they could've

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 1:56 pm

Well... at first the "family life" between the three of them seemed rather harmonic. As harmonic as it could be...
It was the Whole bit with Smelt realising/remembering that he'd actually been sent to kidnap (m)Door and Winnie then melting him and locking Two-Edge in a cage, which kinda made things go south...

Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 3:52 pm

Redhead Ember wrote:
Lunakat wrote:

Huh? The only story about Timmorn I've read is the aforementioned BoTC1.

"Colors" is a story in the Blood of Ten Chiefs novelizations and was turned into a comic for the BoTC series later. I didn't find time to read it so far - most likeky it offers much more information and detail than the shortened comic version.

Last edited by Embala on Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:57 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptySat Mar 12, 2016 5:16 pm

I need to read the novelizations. I didn't realize that story was in there. I have one of the books and never read it, it's back at my parents' house. I'll make sure to get it next time.

12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 1:53 pm

Well it is nice to see Two-Edge find a lovemate in Ahdri.

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptySun Mar 18, 2018 6:48 pm

Yeah! And I wonder how long Ahdri liked him, yet knowing that before Two-Edge was able to "move on" from Venka, nothing could happen.

Back to top Go down
Arill3.0

Arill3.0

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptyTue Jul 14, 2020 12:38 am

I adore Two-Edge. It's a three-point tie between Two-Edge, Winnowill, and Voll for my all time favorite EQ characters. I have gathered, from lurking on the forums, that he does end up lovemating Ahdri in Final Quest. And I am very glad that he's been able to work with/through his past trauma to trust someone and find acceptance and love with them.

Buuuut...I'm guessing there's basically no closure for Two Edge regarding Winnowill? (I have not been able to read the Final Quest yet so I am going off of the posts on this forum.) Like...there's no resolution at all regarding Winnowill in Final Quest, as far as I can tell, but I was seriously hoping that Two Edge would be able to confront her, or have some form of resolution. Over the years the thing that's kept me coming back to EQ (besides my fixation on death obsessed mallgoth elves aka Gliders)is the struggle Two Edge has a survivor of abuse, and his struggle for his identity.

I don't know. A lovemating seems a very shallow "bandaid" resolution???
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptyTue Jul 14, 2020 2:17 pm

Well, it is a sweet scene Ahdri Two-Edge when Two-Edge realizes Ahdri's affection and his own longing.

Last edited by Embala on Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:28 pm; edited 5 times in total
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptyTue Jul 14, 2020 9:30 pm

I'm confused about something in Two-Edge's origin story.

Smelt did extensive metalwork for Winnowill over some period of time between his rescue and his death. He had plenty of time to do that.

But he also lived long enough to teach Two-Edge at least the basics of his trade.

So how old was Two-Edge when his mother killed his father?

Arill3.0

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptyWed Jul 15, 2020 12:51 pm

Embala: I'm glad at least there was emotional buildup and pay off! They are adorable together and I just want them to have adventures ALWAYS.

Trollbabe: I was actually wondering about that recently too! Looking through SaBM and SoTE we see him as a wee one with Winnowill and Smelt, about toddler age, but when we see him during Winnowill's memory of killing Smelt he's much bigger, and appears to have the musculature of a young adolescent. So I'd say about the equivalent of 12 to 14?

Wow, now I'm super sad thinking about Smelt teaching his boy how to bend metal and stone to his will to call beauty out of nothing. For Winnowill, arguably the least worthy recipient of a troll's art ever. Like...by Two Edge's recollection Smelt really put his heart into building a home for her, which is simultaneously so sweet and so goddamn heartbreaking.

I JUST WANT A TWO-EDGE SPIN OFF IS THAT TOO MUCH TO ASK???
Back to top Go down
Arill3.0

Arill3.0

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptyWed Jul 15, 2020 2:23 pm

Also not a really important observation but I just realized that Two-Edge has Winnowill's eyes...aaaand this hurts me.
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptySun Jul 19, 2020 11:03 pm

Maybe Smelt only appreciated what Winnie had to offer him.

First, she saved him from dying and nursed him back to health. Then she provided him with the freedom and the raw material to work his trade, which might not have been available to him at home.

(I sometimes wonder how Smelt got such a rotten assignment. For a Troll, having to search for airborne Elves out in the open daylight might be a rare chance to impress his superiors. It might also be a way for them to get rid of him.)

Finally, she provided him sexual favors, although I wonder why she didn't shape herself into something more attractive for the occasion.

She, in turn, got a master craftsman and a guinea pig for her experiments.

It could be just a marriage of convenience.

Arill3.0

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptyMon Jul 20, 2020 11:32 pm

I always wondered what compelled Winnowill to divert her personal quest for the Palace; was she really so deprived as a healer that helping Smelt (and then "helping" him) overruled what was supposed to be her personal redemption? Helping someone and rediscovering your purpose in life is very compelling, but what made her decide to stay in the roots of the mountain with him?besides plot convenience

Because I am a sadist, I like to think that Smelt had genuine feelings for Winnowill. From his point of view this was a weird fairy tale romance: a strange, ugly woman saves his life and takes him somewhere safe, showers him with jewels and a workshop of his own, beds down with him and gives him a fine strong son. He builds a realm for her, fit for the greatest of queens, and teaches their boy to do the same. The three are happy together in their kingdom under the mountain, and he forgets his king's orders for a time. That's basically the gist of 70% of Irish mythology right there. Though your point about it being maybe a marriage of convenience is equally likely, and probably has more textual support lol.

Absolutely Smelt was given this mission as a means of getting rid of him. Maybe he was the son of a rival, and sending him out would effectively destroy the future of his family and thus eliminate them as a threat. I personally like the idea that he ran his mouth in front of the wrong people and Greymung decided to "honor" the young upstart with a super extra special suicide mission.

I wonder if he left family behind? Two-Edge could have an entire network of aunts and uncles and cousins (or even siblings!) that he doesn't know about...or perhaps he does, and kept watch over them throughout the generations, never daring to reveal himself (oh god I just bet Winnowill instilled in him the idea that his Troll kin would hate him as much as she does, for his mixed blood and whatever reason she invents). One day I'm going to have to set down my thoughts about Two-Edge and his parallels with the Creature from Frankenstein.
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptyTue Jul 21, 2020 2:57 pm

*chuckles* When I filled my "Little House of Horror" I've chosen Smelt for Franckenstein - because "he was green".
In case I'll ever plan a Horrorhouse2.0 it will be Two-Edge ... for better reason. 12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two _12_tw10#12 found

I love to follow the discussion and learn about your ideas and point of view.

Last edited by Embala on Sat Apr 08, 2023 4:13 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Arill3.0

Arill3.0

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two EmptyWed Jul 22, 2020 1:45 pm

OKAY SO I HAVE A LOT OF FEELINGS ON THIS

I joke that Winnowill is a Stone Age Mad Scientist, but she really is. Like Victor Frankenstein she toys with the boundaries between life and death, and what the body is and isn't capable of. She transgresses against the rule of nature. And like Frankenstein, she brings a totally new person into the world and makes their life hell. Frankenstein straight up abandoned his Creature and calls him an abomination, which in many ways is kinder than what Winnowill did. She raised Two-Edge with some amount of love in his early years, only to turn on him later.

Like the Creature Two-Edge did not ask to be born, and only asks for the love and acceptance that every person deserves, that is their birthright. Both are denied that early, and left to suffer in a world that doesn't treat accept them (though I'd argue that Winnowill convinced Two-Edge that no one would accept him, so he didn't even try to integrate). Both are brilliant thinkers with a lot to offer the world, but for the raw hand they were dealt by their parents. Both of them have a deeply complex relationship with their progenitors, with love and hate mingled equally.

Two-Edge is denied the final closure that the Creature gets at the end of Frankenstein (in my opinion), but ultimately is able to find a place of love and acceptance. I have a lot of feelings and they are getting everywhere someone send help.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two   12 - Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two Empty

Back to top Go down

Two-Edge, The One Who Is Two
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next