Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Digitally coloring B&W Images.

Go down 
+7
Yeee
Vaeri
Tymber
Twopaw
Embala
sun girl
Kindredsoul
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 15, 2020 3:49 pm

Very good steps in the right direction! You don't have to worry about shading as much when working with comics since they usually have shading already. It's the highlighting you gotta do which i can see in both pictures. Oddbits jewelry and Madcoil's eyes particularly stood out at me! Very nice.

I started on the zwoot scene..but as i'm leaving for camping tomorrow and need to finish prep, it'll still be a while to get to that! But it was a pain figuring out how to get rid of the see through effects of the scanning...what a horrible scan job for the coloring pages!
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 15, 2020 3:58 pm

Vaeri wrote:
but as i'm leaving for camping tomorrow and need to finish prep, it'll still be a while to get to that!

I. am. so. jealous.

Camping is all I've been itching to do for like 2 months now. Sad

But my wife has a bad back, my best friend has a bad back, and his wife hates camping.

Their son and his wife might go with me.

My best friend's daughter would probably also go, but she recently had a daughter (just turned 1).

And my other friends have 3 kids (between ages 5 and 13, and the middle one has Down Syndrome), so their hands are full. Sad

Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 15, 2020 6:36 pm

Don't feel bad, i've been itching for two months too! Only couldn't go cause the campgrounds were closed. My MIL talked about going camping with me and her niece...mainly for the food i make!! Lol it's my boyfriend's first time and i hope he enjoys himself.

Hope you can find someone to go...but i found it's still fun to goby yourself! Nice way to do some serious "me time"
Back to top Go down
Yeee

Yeee

Virgo Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyMon Jun 15, 2020 7:37 pm

Then I wish you a good "your time" on your camping trip. Very Happy
I have a bad back too, so it is nothing for me either. What a Face But swimming, YAY! It is Sea swim season again! Fishy I love you

Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2020 8:48 am

Thanks..a bit skeptical cause the weather took a turn for the worst at the last minute! Rain. >.< but hoping it'll break up and we might still get some nice weather on the trip. Pray for me guys!

I'm gonna be thinking about that coloring a lot lol
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyTue Jun 16, 2020 3:18 pm

Hah! Wanted to go back and touch up the Zwoot photo... too late to touch up anything I put behind the dust could... I tried (with Leetah and Dewshine, but touching up the Zwoot in the dust cloud portion was proving to have too big of a contrast) - so the Zwoot above the dust could portion I could touch up, including Scouter, and Leetah and Cutter. I think I did alright with Leetah. Cutter was a different monster entirely since I couldn't even figure out how his hair is defying the very order of physics. Very Happy But I like the touches I did on Leetah, to make her lips more filled/alive, touching up her ear rings, and head band, and her hair colors to give it more depth and life too, I think. Still, clearly have no idea what I am doing, but learning by experimenting.

Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 Zwoot10

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jun 17, 2020 3:40 pm

Went back to the Beta Ray Bill picture and did the same thing with the lighting/shading thing, trying to experiment and learn...

Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 Brb_to10

G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 20, 2020 8:15 pm

Cool!

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptySun Jun 21, 2020 1:42 am

G0lden wrote:
Cool!

Thank you! <3

Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2020 12:37 am

i finished my coloring! very very different from yours...i think i rather like better how you did your dust cloud with the smudge.^^

Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 Zwoot_11

i'm beginning to wonder if i should make a thread to post my colorings in...? i feel somewhat guilty posting them in other peoples threads...i don't want to hijack the thread >.<

uhhh...also for clarification, how does the zwoot coloring look to you guys? like a bright reddish, or a darker reddish brown? on my computer it looks fine, but on my phone the zwoot looks seriously bright and not the color i was going for...>.< trying to figure out which is the more true colors so i can adjust my colorings...sometimes i think my colorings are brighter than i intend them because of my laptop screen...hmmmm
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2020 6:06 am

Vaeri wrote:
i finished my coloring! very very different from yours...i think i rather like better how you did your dust cloud with the smudge.^^

i'm beginning to wonder if i should make a thread to post my colorings in...? i feel somewhat guilty posting them in other peoples threads...i don't want to hijack the thread >.<

uhhh...also for clarification, how does the zwoot coloring look to you guys? like a bright reddish, or a darker reddish brown? on my computer it looks fine, but on my phone the zwoot looks seriously bright and not the color i was going for...>.< trying to figure out which is the more true colors so i can adjust my colorings...sometimes i think my colorings are brighter than i intend them because of my laptop screen...hmmmm

There is no comparrison. lol Yours looks absolutely professional. I love that you did the "sunburn" across Cutter's face. You did the sending with the proper colors. Leetah's flesh color looks so utterly fantastic. The Zwoot looks kind of a brightish reddish brown - but being that Zwoots are like a cross between horses and camels, it's a fine color, I'd say! (If we look at the original source of ElfQuest, the Zwoot color is like a light to tan color) but again, I think it works - the only - ONLY thing I can say is - the problem I see is the Zwoot's color is too close to Scouter's shoulder piece and shoes (and perhaps, a little too close to the red in his shirt and his leggings). But the shoulder for sure, the shoe a little, and the shirt and pant colors, less so. But the colors definitely look close to the Zwoot's coloring.

Also, you can post in my thread any time - if you're tackling something I colored - and want to show me how to do it better (this is a prime example). But you do so much art - that yeah - why not start your own thread too? I am OK with you posting stuff I did that you redid here and then in your own thread - or coming here to link back to your thread - whatever.

But you should do your own thread. People might see a thread by me, and ignore it, and never see your amazing art.

Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2020 11:27 am

I don't know about professional...^^0 but yours does look good as well! The differences in ours though shows me what people mean by my colors being so vivid.

Ahhg so my phone is correct. Curse you laptop! I'll have to work on some settings then. I am happy everything else turned out so nicely! I'm glad you recognized the sunburn..lol. i asked my boyfriend to look after i finished and he asked "why is he blushing weirdly like that?" Lol

I'll make my thread a bit later. I don't see why anyone would ignore your thread though, your colorings are good!
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyThu Jun 25, 2020 8:00 pm

Vaeri wrote:
I don't know about professional...^^0 but yours does look good as well! The differences in ours though shows me what people mean by my colors being so vivid.
Ahhg so my phone is correct. Curse you laptop! I'll have to work on some settings then. I am happy everything else turned out so nicely! I'm glad you recognized the sunburn..lol. i asked my boyfriend to look after i finished and he asked "why is he blushing weirdly like that?" Lol
I'll make my thread a bit later. I don't see why anyone would ignore your thread though, your colorings are good!

Oh, make no mistake! The boot to zwoot colors are very close - but it doesn't take away. It just makes it so Scouter's boot doesn't... pop?... as much to draw attention to it?

And the boyfriend - if he's not read ElfQuest - probably doesn't know the whole desert thing the Wolfriders did - and you see plenty of anime cartoons where they do that weird blush across the cheeks like that. Such as (google is my friend!) -
Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 UlK91vWguosDZwdVMaMRBRM6dWk7a3Eqn0jcYMnfxp4

So I can see why the boyfriend might have thought it was that weird "anime blush."

But I have SO much to learn, for coloring (and I thank you for it, because I will look and see how you did it and try to learn more)! You show that, especially with this piece. It's absolutely stunning.

Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 26, 2020 1:00 pm

He's read the first couple issues. I explained how this was at the beginning and sunburn from crossing the desert.

Yeah we're both big anime fans so i get that..still silly he's so forgetful.^^
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2020 3:26 am

Giving thanks to Vaeri and Father Tree holt...
http://comicreliefpodcast.com/archives/2422

And the image...

Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 Elfquest_Colored_0001

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyWed Aug 05, 2020 7:35 pm

Wasn’t happy with how light it was, so I touched it up, darkened it, brightened up some of the colors, and am much happier now.

Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 Image-1

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2020 4:00 am

Actually for ElfQuest specific colorings, going forward will shove them in this thread...

https://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t1034-elfquest-coloring

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2020 4:58 pm

Back to non ElfQuest in this thread...

Decided to try the light/dark shading on Marvel B&W art... see how that'd go.

B&W Wolverine vs Brood.
Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 UXM_162_BW-684x1024

How it would look without the newly learned light/shading (which still looks good, I think)...
Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 Wolverinevsbrood_noshading-684x1024

But this looks infinitely better, to me. More depth.
Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 Wolverinevsbrood_0001-1-684x1024

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyThu Aug 06, 2020 5:17 pm

Bumped up the colors for intensity.

Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 Wolverinevsbrood_0001b-684x1024

G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 09, 2020 2:40 am

This is so cool!

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 09, 2020 1:19 pm

G0lden wrote:
This is so cool!

Thank you! <3

Yeee

Yeee

Virgo Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptySun Aug 09, 2020 5:52 pm

Yes, looks like comic-coloring like in Elfquest , the first quest. Like

Josine

Josine

Sagittarius Pig

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2020 8:52 am

Tymber wrote:

That was the "not impossible" part - if it's a clean drawing, with clear lines - then it's no problem. But for example, the one of Cutter and Skywise together; there's a lot blurred colors in there - that are simply not black or white; but a mixture of grey colors as well (as most of these images are not truly just a 2 palette color, but rather 16 million colors, even the B&W) because they're scanned images, being scanned at their default 16 million colors, rather than 2 colors. And if you try to convert a 16 million color down to 2 color B&W palette - the results are very ugly. But with clean drawings (like the one with Cutter, Leetah and Skywise), the spaces are more defined, so it's easier to render that down. But the big ones like the X-Men ones, or Defenders - all have way too may various "gray" colors.
A neat little trick for this is to use the Curves Adjustment setting to turn the background white and the line-art more black. I also usually use some denoise program for Wendy's older sketches.
So for example here's that same pic with this treatment:

Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 Cutter10
Hope this helps Smile

http://zinegirl.deviantart.com/art/ElfQuest-Family-Tree-SPOILERS
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyWed Nov 25, 2020 1:24 pm

Josine wrote:

A neat little trick for this is to use the Curves Adjustment setting to turn the background white and the line-art more black. I also usually use some denoise program for Wendy's older sketches.
So for example here's that same pic with this treatment:
Hope this helps Smile

Ah! Yes! Smart thinking with the reverse!

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 06, 2021 1:46 pm

So in the game, STAR FRONTIERS (which I love) - there was a monster called a Sand Shark - that literally swims in sand. In my D&D campaign - the party is headed for a massive desert that's been wracked by magic gone wild - and I thought, "I want to bring the Sand Shark into my D&D game!) So I found my module, scanned the B&W image - and recolored it real quick.

Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 Sf_san10

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Digitally coloring B&W Images.   Digitally coloring B&W Images. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Digitally coloring B&W Images.
Page 3 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next