Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Final Quest #18

Go down 
+20
Redhead Ember
manga
Josine
LurkingCat
jaRf
Wiseshaman
KR Wordgazer
Embala
Elwing
Lunakat
Multi-Facets
Miscellaneous
Zadzi
Outlier
sun girl
Prism
wingthing
Davrille
Shadowpath
namuhna
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
AuthorMessage
Lunakat

Lunakat

19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2017 1:34 pm

Here's the darkhorse preview-- if that's easier to read:

https://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/28-259/ElfQuest-The-Final-Quest-18

Multi-Facets

Multi-Facets

Sagittarius Dog

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2017 4:06 pm

"Is he up to the task?" Well he could be if Wendy hadn't destroyed him. :-/

jaRf

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2017 5:53 pm

I still stay with "okay, wait at least until I read the full story before I judge".

But I also glanced over the FAQ at elfquest.com and it is written that yes, a lot of stories still have to be told, a lot of characters needed to interact with each other etc. but alas, limited time, Wendy drew this for ~ 40 years and so on. Okay, fine. I understand that part.
But (again) why then use energy for this side-episode and find yet another new troll tribe (even if that may not even remotely contribute to the main story)?
Why not use this energy instead for a "less lazy" storywriting? E.g.(!) a better reunion scene between Rayek and his parents. Iirc. it was
"Jarrah, Ingen!"
"Son."
That was it? After all these years? I know their relationship was not the closest. But not even a bit ashamed standing around, then a shy, hello momma, hello pops! And some dialogue? Some interest? Something to tell each other?

(You can extend this to many other characters (e.g. all of Kahvi's many children!), just my nature that Rayek comes to mind easiest. Wink )
Back to top Go down
Elwing

Elwing

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2017 6:20 pm

I must say I really like the art in this preview. It seems more 3 dimensional that we saw before, no more groups of awkwardly posing elves and copy and pasting. Much better colors, too. I hope it keeps up.
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2017 6:39 pm

I agree. I think the art is much better in this issue and last. Wendy always used to get a very natural feel in her posing, because she would draw her characters as if they were caught in motion. Not standing still. I think she's back to doing that now-- and that's why Elwing is feeling it again.

I'm happier with the coloring too. The colors all work together well, the skin tones are consistent and, well... not grey or strangely yellow looking. There's a logic to the lighting and saturation. It's working.

Elwing

Elwing

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyFri Jan 13, 2017 7:04 pm

Yes. Telling a story by moving actors trough a 3 dimensional space is something Wendy was always so good at. I'm glad to see she can still do it.
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 5:34 am

I love to read ... agreement and even praise here. Smile
And I'm glad that some of you can tell me - explain WHY I like things better than most of what I've seen before.

19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.

Last edited by Embala on Sun Jan 15, 2017 10:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
KR Wordgazer

KR Wordgazer

Scorpio Cat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptySat Jan 14, 2017 4:53 pm

The problem I'm having is... none of my 3 favorite characters are acting in ways that I like or agree with. Rayek apparently isn't nobly keeping Winnowill, but forcing her to stay with him when she could have been released. Strongbow is being a stubborn jerk, and Moonshade's not much better. Cutter isn't Cutter anymore; he's only Timmain in a Cutter suit.

But I want to give the story the benefit of the doubt and withhold judgment until it's complete. That's why I'm not really wanting to talk too much about it anymore.

Wiseshaman

Wiseshaman

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 12:12 am

KR Wordgazer wrote:
The problem I'm having is... none of my 3 favorite characters are acting in ways that I like or agree with. Rayek apparently isn't nobly keeping Winnowill, but forcing her to stay with him when she could have been released. Strongbow is being a stubborn jerk, and Moonshade's not much better. Cutter isn't Cutter anymore; he's only Timmain in a Cutter suit.

Sorry to hear your having problems with the new stuff KR Wordgazer, I know your just as deep into EQ as our Embala so I know it can't be easy. Me, I stopped keeping up after Kings of the Broken Wheel. The fact my favorite character(s) have been pretty much ignored, or passed over, in every story line has caused my interest in any EQ comics from that point on to be somewhat less than enthusiastic...but I do love me some OQ now!

19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 Combo_1
Back to top Go down
http://www.rkanepublications.com/
jaRf

jaRf

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptySun Jan 15, 2017 6:01 pm

Yes, the full picture may explain things better, but then, what if it doesn't? O.o
What if we'll sit there with Final Quest number I-don't-know and will be dissatisfied or even outright pissed?
I know it's not an easy job for a creator to satisfy everyone in the audience, but there are ways to keep damages low.

When it comes to ignored characters, yes, there would be need for a lot of characters to get more screentime. And there is so much (necessary) dialogue left unwritten.
But it seems they (WaRP) don't want to sacrifice space and energy for that. But why then constantly introduce new characters? Especially if you already seem to have a hard time to deal with the multifarious characters you already have. *shrugs*
Back to top Go down
LurkingCat

LurkingCat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyMon Jan 16, 2017 8:52 am

Thank you for the preview link from darkhorse, Lunakat! (The other one didn't work so well for me.)

Well, the fight between Cutter and Skywise was kinda anticlimactic (to this point).
I also think the "ancient wrong" might be the bad treatment of the trolls by the high ones and Cutter wants to ask them to come along. But then I still don't get why Cutter isn't telling this to the others? It seems such a forced mystery...

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 11:50 am

It's aaaaaliive! I mean, it's out

Spoiler:

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 2:05 pm

SPOILERS

Past this point there are spoilers.

manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 2:54 pm

I enjoyed this one more than I have others, though I can't say specifically why.

I'm glad to see things worked out with Venka. But, um, did she and Ekuar Recognize??
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 2:58 pm

YE SPOILERS:

So- the high ones thought they were being loving, but they were overlooking the trolls. The trolls, dissatisfied with the attention and respect they were getting, rebelled and crashed the ship. The last first comer troll immediately regretted his mischief-- since his home was now gone. He is basically rotting now, in the troll caverns, consuming what the other trolls bring him and looking at crystals that are shallow representations of his memories of the crystals that made up the palace of his home. He thinks the spirits of lost trolls live in these crystals.

Cutter apologizes and invites him to come home. Skywise doesn't like it. He says one troll is fine, but what if others follow and they stage a rebellion again? Cutter says 'don't give them a reason to rebel' and suggests that all trolls are welcome to come back to the fold.

Thoughts guys?

Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 2:59 pm

manga wrote:
I enjoyed this one more than I have others, though I can't say specifically why.

I'm glad to see things worked out with Venka. But, um, did she and Ekuar Recognize??

Oh man- I hope so!

Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 4:30 pm

wtf, I haven't read this yet. Ekuar recognizing Venka just sounds really weird. Dude's like practically her grandpa (not just in age but basically in relationship to Ekuar also). I'll probably purchase this tomorrow, after reading more spoilers.
Put up more spoilage, people! More lengthy ones, please Very Happy

19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 5:29 pm

Ooh!

I remember someone speculating that Old Maggoty was one of the Firsters, though Timmain scotched that by saying none of them had come from "this house" (meaning the Palace).

But Old Maggoty was certainly giving her a fearful a and possibility guilty look. What if Old Maggoty is the Firster's daughter?
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 5:35 pm

I'm not sure why Timmorn's spirit is the one to have sniffed out the Firster.

Why couldn't the spirits of lost trolls reside in the gems? It makes at least as much sense as the elf spirits abiding in the Palace Crystals.
Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 8:04 pm

manga wrote:
I'm not sure why Timmorn's spirit is the one to have sniffed out the Firster.

Why couldn't the spirits of lost trolls reside in the gems? It makes at least as much sense as the elf spirits abiding in the Palace Crystals.

Because the elves are ethereal, magical creatures and the trolls are trolls?

The trolls attraction towards crystals because of their resemblance to the palace would make more sense, if the trolls fought for the palace in OQ for its own sake and not only to piss off the elves... Still, I rather like this part Smile

Is there no one who is annoyed by this new 'vanishing into thin air' ability of the palace elves but me?

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 8:47 pm

Yeah- I find it negates any sense of danger or urgency

Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 8:48 pm

Also- why did the high ones go out or put themselves in wrap stuff if they could just become no corporeal?

Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 9:13 pm

Why can't dead just re-materialise?

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 9:50 pm

Maybe because their atoms are scattered or their bodies are decomposed or something.

Maybe it's like the transporter in Star Trek. You can't just beam someone alive again (though why not? Right?)

Davrille

Davrille

Virgo Horse

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2017 10:00 pm

It's possible Timmorn actually met the Firster while he was alive. I wonder where/how the Firster was living before the Frozen Mountain trolls found him. We'll probably never know. Ah, well.

The Pinis have been playing with fairy folklore through the comic's history. Could be Wendy decided to play with the "fairies disappearing in plain sight" motif. Although, it's not clear if they're supposed to be actually disincarnating, and not just 'becoming invisible'.

I really like the interaction with the Firster, and how he was one of the trolls we saw way back in the first issue. Granted, it's probably a case of "hey, this guy will work!" but, still. It's a nice touch. The way his facial expression changes from when we first see him to when he's back on the surface of the mountain. And Ahdri telling him to behave, Two-Edge's posture... a lovely scene, all told.

I'm going to go out a limb and say it's Windkin Venka's having a child with. He seems to be 'at stud'. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #18   19 - Final Quest #18 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Final Quest #18
Page 3 of 7Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next