Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Stargazer‘s Hunt #2

Go down 
+6
wingthing
faeriegirl
Stargazer
IceTooth
Miss Gillespie
Embala
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 Empty
PostSubject: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 EmptyThu Jan 09, 2020 4:54 pm

Coming home and  Surprise! cyclops - the second issue is available. I was commenting towards a friend while reading ... not a qualified comic review but mere reactions. (not a big spoiler either)

Cutter goes blond - it's told that happens sometimes to people getting old. ^^

I hardly believe it - Skywise actually loses it. Same story as with Cutter before. What happend to "recognition", "soul" and "sending"? O.O

Anger in Paradise XD

Cute - but not a WP wolf

... in return little Jink looks better now - more childlike

Simply great. We are supposed to believe that Timmain is stupid enough to overrate the amount of sense and understanding of a THREE-year-old so immensely? Rolling Eyes Or ... is she REALLY so naive and far from reality?
In case Timmain would just have kept silent instead of uttering this "well-intentioned" advice towards Jink it would have been less off. Well...

It's nice that StH actually ties in with the old Futurequest storyline and intends to develope it further. This intro is a mess, tho. Extremely unbelievable and rather uninspired in my opinion.

At least it's as well motivated as Cutter's death. XD

Oh yeah ... Timmain's timing and diplomatic skills are as fine as ever since FQ. Must be "in-character" then. ^^
Probably supposed to make her alien and emphasize her non-human mind set.

Okay. I’ll look at pictures and single scenes and find things I’ll like. Somewhen later. Seriously. Cutter Cool I will.

Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 EmptyThu Jan 09, 2020 7:11 pm

To my huge surprise, I kinda liked Skywise's explanation for what's wrong with Timmain transforming into Cutter and the whole thing in general. For the first time, I got an idea why Cutter might've freaked out.

Even though this was undercut with Skywise almost immediately thinking through this and figuring out, how Timmain should've delivered the message. With his cooling down, Jink wiping his mind didn't even make too much sense, Skywise wasn't close to madness, he was upset.

Timmain is officially the worst mother of the universe. She kinda messed up Timmorn and she is telling her toddler to "openly accept" any emotions and thought Skywise might send to her.

Actually, I think her telling Jink what to do (and what not) was supposed to make her seem wise. She predicted the course of action and told Jink how to not behave. Even though she somehow utterly fails to predict the very predictable outcome.
I also didn't like how she was completely unfazed by Skywise's sudden leave. Even if she's fine with her love- and life mate running off, she should know better what this would mean for Jink.

Last but not least, Skywise's reason to leave wasn't very convincing. The story clearly wants to imply that missing the memory of Cutter made him run off (you know, because their bond is so deep). But imagine you (dear reader Razz ) suddenly had the feeling that something very important, something that should be there is missing from your life. Would you immediately run away looking for it without talking first to friends and family? Would you really leave your little child behind like this?

Oh, and Jink is going to hook up with Egg. The disheveled guy in rags with somehow still pronounced muscles.

IceTooth

Scorpio Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 EmptyFri Jan 10, 2020 2:47 pm

Just finished reading. Interesting story...but seemed a bit rushed. Timmain certainly appears not to be a very good mother and Jink seems a bit too powerful for her age. I do wonder if all the older Jink and Futurequest tales will be considered canon or not? I guess we will find out.

A fun read, but most of my passion for Elfquest is gone these days, so this is just an indulgence for me. Smile
Back to top Go down
Stargazer

Stargazer

Cancer Cat

PostSubject: Re: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 EmptySat Jan 11, 2020 1:45 pm

I have questions...like how did Jink find out she had the ability to wipe memories? Has she done this before, and if so who? And if not - well, as I said, how does she know? And then Skywise didn’t appear to be so very distressed at that point - as Miss Gillespie pointed out, he was calming down. And he had previously told her specifically to stay out of his head. So why did she feel she needed to jump in and mess with his memories? That’s one dangerous kid.
Back to top Go down
faeriegirl

faeriegirl

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2020 5:28 pm

wtf...
Timmain is a terrible mother.
Jink does look properly childlike now.
Why the hell does Skywise run away immediately... why doesn't he talk to the people on starhome like any sensible being would?

and why the hell is Jink at 3 years old strong enough to wipe memories?? Is this like "Venka staved off Winnowill as a baby, we must have Jink be just as strong!"

Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 Faerie10
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2020 5:46 pm

Not to mention that Skywise will miss to see his daughter grow up. Again.

Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2020 6:03 pm

Is anyone really surprised Timmain is the worst mother in the universe? Look at her track record! Her parenting style with Timmorn was "yeah, Imma experiment in genetic modifications and create a mentally unstable hybrid, now let's dump him on some traumatized Firstcomer elves to raise. Oh, and he's the chosen one of this crazy new cult I've invented that will save all who accept him and doom all who reject him. But I gotta go 'find myself' for the next ten millennia before returning to belabour the Jesus metaphor again. Byee."

Also,yeah, one issue after promising never to miss a minute of Jink's life, Skywise buggers off for decades at a time. That's not irony, Wendy. That's cruelty.
Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 EmptyMon Jan 13, 2020 8:00 pm

It’s a miracle, how someone like Jink, someone who since childhood knows that the reason why her father left was because of her, that she took something immensely important from him, still grows up to be a happy-go-lucky Chitter knockoff.

Based on the first issue, I suspect that the issue of not being around Jink when she grows up, might be addressed in later issues (about 60% sure). A better storyteller might tell a story on how sometimes things go not as planned and how to cope with such tragedies.

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 EmptyTue Jan 14, 2020 3:21 pm

Quote :
A better storyteller might tell a story on how sometimes things go not as planned and how to cope with such tragedies.
I understand.
Nevertheless I wonder why he's "shooting off" without hesitation, without a thought about his little girl, without talking to anyone about his problems or doubts or regrets.

Quote :
and why the hell is Jink at 3 years old strong enough to wipe memories?
She might do it by instinct. As easy as breathing for her. Considering Skywise's "clouded", bewildered state she probably cannot control her gift Well. Untrained skills - doing int wrong ... messing up and Skywise cannot think properly anymore? Just following instincts, too? ... Wolfshadow comes to mind ...
That's the only explanation I can make up at the moment.

Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 EmptyTue Jan 14, 2020 7:50 pm

There could be a potentially interesting conflict. What Skywise wanted, seeing his daughter grow up, was made impossible thanks to his very daughter. Of course , he wouldn’t be angry at her (who’d blame a little child?), but a normally we’d suspect many conflicting emotions.

But we obviously will not get this. We will get a cheap, sappy solution

Yeee

Virgo Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 11:58 am

It seems, in the next issue they drive "home" to the world of two moons. I hope we see the cutlet and get to know his name. Maybe it`s Chad Razz At last there is something to see forward to. For me this issue is lame in story , we already know the TImTam story and I couldn `t care less for Skywise, he is annoying as ever, only this time he is not mating through all females , he manages to annoy now in another way , I am glad he is away now. But better drawn is this issue, thats good.

Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 Courts12Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 Rayhan26Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 Rayhan27Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 Scree165  
playing with Hero Forge
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 3:37 pm

What I noticed:

From the moment Timmain says "His heart!" it's a repeat of Cutter's death. She's rushing to him in hopes of one last touch and no thoughts of preventing him from going (just like Leetah) and she's there just moments too late.

And now Skywise has missed another daughter's life. Why do this again? I know it's mostly been coming but honestly, what I thought it would be was Skywise searching for Jink, who, after growing up a little more, would choose to exile herself out of shame for what she did. (Presuming fixing it isn't as simple as "Remember him, Daddy!")

Also, I want to state for the record:

My long-brewing story featuring searching the stars for an elf who has lost their memory was conceived LONG before this came out. (It didn't involve Skywise, to be sure, but thematically it's much the same.)
Back to top Go down
Yeee

Yeee

Virgo Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 3:58 pm

"what I thought it would be was Skywise searching for Jink"
Yes manga, I thought this too. It would have made more sense to me: A girl makes a stupid prank, is ashamed and runs away. Instead of that the father runs away because of what? Skywise becomes more and more stupid.

Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 Courts12Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 Rayhan26Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 Rayhan27Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 Scree165  
playing with Hero Forge
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 EmptyThu Jan 16, 2020 6:21 pm

Miss Gillespie wrote:
It’s a miracle, how someone like Jink, someone who since childhood knows that the reason why her father left was because of her, that she took something immensely important from him, still grows up to be a happy-go-lucky Chitter knockoff.

As I recall, the Jink stories hinted that she'd mind-wiped herself more than once. Maybe she mind-wiped this too.

And maybe it's less of a mind-wipe and more of a mind-block. The information's still there but it's got a "Somebody Else's Problem" field laid over it so the mind just "sees" around it. Unlock it/remove the field and it's fixed.
Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 EmptyFri Jan 17, 2020 4:37 am

Ewwww, what if Future Quest is still canon? What if the person Strongbow refers to as “my chief” is actually timmain?

Mosaicmind

PostSubject: Re: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2020 6:36 pm

Miss Gillespie wrote:
Ewwww, what if Future Quest is still canon? What if the person Strongbow refers to as “my chief” is actually timmain?

Oh no. That could absolutely be possible.
Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 EmptySat Jan 18, 2020 11:37 pm

Mosaicmind wrote:
Miss Gillespie wrote:

Oh no. That could absolutely be possible.

I have been bracing myself for it's near-certainty since the TimTam reveal, to be honest. I'm sure Wendy thinks it's a great way to "unite" continuity instead of being the most acid-laced retcon since "Oh yeah, that Djun descendant from hundreds of years in the future was just a crazy guy in the present. Wavedancers fits the canon!"

Actually... I'm going to headcanon the conspiracy theory that Wendy invented TimTam specifically to square the circle of that FutureQuest panel. It makes as much sense than any other reason.
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 EmptyTue Feb 18, 2020 8:48 pm

I finally got around to reading this and...it's not extremely bad. To my surprise.

First page look really wonky to me, but the pages after that are legit better than the entirety of the first issue.

Some of my notes from my tumblr:

-you can try and say I’m being mean, but wtfh is up with the first page? Skywise looks ok-ish, but uh, everything about Timmain looks…weird.

-Would you please give Aurek better clothes

-Skywise: -extremely upset-
Everybody else: We feel a disturbance in out Force knock off

-Venka’s girl: I really like her for some reason, not sure why.

-Jink: Please leave the comic.

-Strongbow, who’s here, likely because he still can’t accept Moonshade’s death/can’t/won’t leave her alone: Please leave the comic, but faster.

-Jink you terrible terrible terrible terrible child.

All in all this comic does a...more than a few things right.

Timmain's weirdness in this comic is the kind of weirdness I like.

She is so incredibly stone cold in the face of extreme mental trauma it shows how far removed she is from everybody. Or how far behind everybody is? I don't know. I keep wondering if everybody is in an extreme game of 'catch up' with her or it's result of her being a wolf for some 20000 years. Everything is either below her range (wolf) or she's beyond it (High One).

Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 Tumblr_oizli2hnXr1sda8vao1_1280
'We're all broken, in different ways, in varying degrees.'
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Stargazer‘s Hunt #2   Stargazer‘s Hunt #2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Stargazer‘s Hunt #2
Page 1 of 1