Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....

Go down 
+11
TrollHammer
Tymber
Kojiyumi
faeriegirl
Outlier
Redhead Ember
Trollbabe
Lunakat
Kindredsoul
Wiseshaman
ChristinaRaibert
15 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
TrollHammer

TrollHammer

2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 05, 2015 2:29 pm

Awesome, makes you wonder what other speicies Timmain might have bred with, trying to find usable ways to sustain her people. We also saw her change into a bird, could she have anything to do with the Glider's birds?

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 05, 2015 11:23 pm

I wondered about that.  Did the Glider giant birds exist on the WoTM before the Palace landed?  If so, they must have been a singular rare species of bird, limited to Blue Mountain, and shy of humans.

Otherwise, there would have been human legends about giant birds.  Humans might have brought one down, but it would be more likely that they would have snatched up human prey. Outside of Nonna's tribe, do they figure in art or folklore at all?

We know Timmain was capable of changing into smaller animals somehow.  If she became a hawk or a falcon, for example, she would be able to catch squirrels and rabbits for the rest of the tribe.

But suppose she mated with other hawks or falcons, and had descendants?  The result might be hunting birds that bonded with their Elf handlers.  Or it might be tiny Elves who hatched from hawk and falcon eggs.

That would be some really scrambled DNA.

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 06, 2015 1:33 am

Scrambled eggs, on the world of two moons? You dont say!

Sounds like a good theme element for next month...

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 06, 2015 5:02 am

May 2015 Elements:
* New Beginnings
* Metamorphosis
* Blooming
* A storm
* Rain

The skies were dark, and the once biting rain, had now turned to harsh snow.

His black hair was like a crown of midnight, contrasting against the snow, as he lay face down, his face turned sideways, his green eyes struggling to see – but his vision blurred, and blackness came over him. The wound in his side, a cut from a troll’s sword, was deep. His blood oozed into the snow, slowly spreading and painting the once white snow, a soft, gentle pink, as his life ebbed away.

Shadow opened his eyes. His body was transparent, floating. Had his body undergone some strange metamorphosis? “High Ones, where am I?” he asked, his voice echoing in the sheer darkness that surrounded him.

“Your soul is near the palace,” a familiar voice answered.

Shadow spun and turned. “Wildthorn… but you’re … “

“Dead,” Wildthorn smiled faintly. (1)

“Does that mean…” Shadow began.

“Not yet,” Wildthorn answered. Purespring came to stand next to Wildthorn and waved silently to her brother. She had been killed by the very same human Wildthorn had killed, but not before being mortally wounded himself. “You must wake up now. Your tribe – our tribe – needs you.”

Shadow’s eyes suddenly opened. He screamed in agony as a bolt of pain coursed through his body. He took a succession of rapid breaths, his eyes darting all around. Everything began to become clear. His memory was returning to him.

But he didn’t want to remember. He didn’t want to be alive. He heard his lovemate, Foxhair call out his name and come running up to him, carelessly colliding into him, wrapping her arms around him. “High Ones, it’s… so bad…” she wept, “So very bad.”

Against the wall, Shadow could see the bodies of the twin brothers – Wardance and Warsong. Neither of them was alive; each with mortal wounds in their abdomen. Next to them, their cubs, brother and sister, Dusk and Dawn, were also no longer among the living. Skyshade, their mother, was lying at their feet. Though Shadow could see no wounds, he knew that she was no longer alive.

Fear gripped Shadow’s heart as he turned to Foxhair. “Our cub?”

She pulled back, her eyes brimming with tears. She did not need to say the words. Shadow could feel it, Snowspring, only five seasons young, was among the dead.

He looked around the rest of the cave and saw the Pridewalker, Spearclaw, clutching his abdomen, though he had major cuts to both arms and his left leg. Stillbreeze, Vineweaver’s soulmate, was tending to his wounds, while Vineweaver himself was trying to console his cubs, Echo and Windfetcher about the loss of their youngest, Sunsword. Stream, the tribe’s healer was being held up by the Pridewalker, Snowcloud.

That was all that remained of the tribe.

Shadow had long strived to find and make peace with the humans and trolls in the world. Tonight, something dark bloomed inside his soul. A new beginning was being born.

He hungered for vengeance as he’d never had before.

(1) See the August 2007 Grab Bag: http://www.tawmis.com/stonehowl/august2007.html

Shadow (Male Soul Name: Tyru) – Black Hair, Tanned, Green Eyes (Elder brother to Purespring, Chief) – Wolf Beast: Mooneyes – (Black Wolf, White Eyes)

Foxhair (Female Soul Name: Loun) – Red Hair, Green Eyes (Hunter) – Wolf Beast: Elkheart (Dark Brown/Black Wolf)

Spearclaw (Male, Soul name: Lren) – Brown Hair, Green Eyes (Scout)

Vineweaver (Male Soul Name: Reyk) – Auburn Hair, Blue Eyes (Tree shaper, Soul Mate of Stillbreeze, Plant Shaper) – Wolf Beast: Creekhunter (Dark Grey Wolf)

Stillbreeze (Female Soul Name: Hewl) – Brown Hair, Brown Eyes (Soul Mate of Vineweaver, Tanner) - Wolf Beast: Silvermane (Silver Wolf, female)

Echo (Male Soul Name: Ayav) – Brown Hair, Green Eyes (Cub of Stillbreeze & Vineweaver, Magic) – Wolf Beast: Talonmist (Grey Wolf, Deceased)

Windfetcher (Female Soul Name: Burm) – Auburn Hair, Brown Eyes (Cub of Stillbreeze & Vineweaver, Next Potential Chief… If She Has Her Way!) - Wolf Beast: None, formerly Glimmer

Stream (Female Soul Name: Vree) – Red Hair, Green Eyes (Healer) – Wolf Beast: Callbreaker (White Wolf, Deceased)

Snowcloud (Female, Soul Name: Mill) – White Hair, Green Eyes (based off white lions)
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 06, 2015 5:17 am

Ah, these are the things I missed back in the day...

First, as always, amazing work, Trollhammer.

TrollHammer wrote:

... so one could carry a load or pull a card uninterrupted wherever you needed to go.

I assume that's "cart" not "card" (unless the trolls are carrying decks of cards for gambling!)

TrollHammer wrote:

Steady hard work was the best way to get stuff done, but these Elves…! Bouncing all over the tunnels, darting here and there… They can’t even pull a half load of ore!

I like this bit, because it really reflects Grubfinder's annoyance, immediately, with the relationship between trolls and elves, and why it irks him so much.

TrollHammer wrote:

Grubfinder reminded himself he needed to put in for a Prospector job one more time.   He craved the peace and quiet out in the far reaches of tunnels, away from the noisy activity of the inner hub.  If he could just get enough time to study his minerals, there might be a chance to pass the aptitude test.

Hah! I can't imagine the trolls doing tests! I always imagine either Picknose type trolls (not overly smart, but great smiths!) or the Frozen trolls - who were great at making weapons and killing!

But I like this idea, you feel for Grubfinder's struggle!

TrollHammer wrote:

He waited in line.  There was always a line.  The only thing disturbing was that there were two Elves in the line today, and they wouldn’t stop chattering about some meaningless thing.  Didn’t they have some way to talk from head to head without making such a racket?

You do such an excellent job, throughout this story - with these kinds of lines, that really make you get inside Grubfinder's head and see things from his point of view.

TrollHammer wrote:

The breeze licked at him as his feet explored the unfamiliar stone outside the door. As the door slammed shut, it sent a jolt though Grubfinder as though he’d been struck by a hammer.  In the seeming silence afterward, he noticed the noise.  Bugs and animals sang to each other, crying out to be heard over each other, the breeze rustling leaves, footsteps of something off in the distance… no one had mentioned the sheer level of nonsensical noise that emanated from every point of the surface!

This goes so WELL with his complaint about the elves chattering in line - love how you kept that flowing.

TrollHammer wrote:

.... he almost imagined he was still underground, but the noise, which flaired up as he moved, destroyed the illusion.

flared up.

TrollHammer wrote:

He heard the chatter of Elves nearby and sought them out.  Upon finding them, he introduced himself.  Apparently, they had known he was there for quite some time. How they had heard a Troll in all this unnerving clamor was beyond him.

So excellent to keep with the theme of sounds bothering him!

TrollHammer wrote:

He wondered how long it would last, this ‘storm’.  The Elf had laid out some sleeping furs for him, and he decided it didn’t sound there was anything else he could do at this point.  He laid down and covered up with the furs, which were much softer than any he had seen down below, and immediately began to drift off into sleep.  The last thing he noticed as he fell asleep was that the female elf had laid down with him, against his backside, and the comfort of the extra warmth won out over the alarming contact, and he drifted away.

This is a nice tender moment.
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 06, 2015 5:27 am

faeriegirl wrote:

The green feeling stops. I turn towards the Daystar to start my life.

First, you're not rusty by the looks of it. You did a very unique, and very creative story from the perspective of a seedling growing. That's pretty incredible thinking. Also, you did all the "elements" without spelling it out. (For example, you didn't say "metamorphosis" but you suggested it in your story! That's awesome!)

Redhead Ember wrote:
Spark of Life
“But are you sure it will work?”
“No. I still have to try. There are so few of us left, especially after we lost young Crescent.”
“Why me?”
“Because, beloved, I know how much you have always wanted a cub of your own, and how – even though you were happy for us – your inner emotions were in turmoil, like a great storm, when I recognized someone else.”

I really liked the story! The only thing I would add - is addressing who is saying what in the dialogue? In my head I didn't know if I should be imagining a male or female's voice, if I should be thinking of Cutter's voice or Scouter's voice. That type of thing. So saying who was speaking would have been beneficial (to me, anyway!)

Trollbabe wrote:

She felt a softer self inside a harder self, like a caterpillar in a coccoon. Like a blossom from a twig. Only it wasn't springthaw, and the silent native trees seemed unaffected.

Very nice tie in to Final Quest, from the panel with the "tree elves" (best name I think that's been said since we know nothing about them).
Back to top Go down
faeriegirl

faeriegirl

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 06, 2015 1:27 pm

Awh, thanks Stonehowl!!

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 06, 2015 6:13 pm

It's a long time since I've found time to read ... less dared to comment properly. Right words come hard.

I LOVE that the grab-bags are back! It's wonderful to see so many contributions to the first one in years. High Ones, I've missed this ... all the months til now. Hopefully we will have enough writers and picture artists and commentors to keep it alive even when some members need to take a break at times.

Trollhammer, it's wonderful to see you writing again ... back with a story centering on a Troll.
Grubfinder is lovable and already a complex, interesting character. You've shown hes feeling, his struggle with those new, uncomfortable and sensual overwhelming conditions so vividly. The elfin healer is intriguing ... I wonder whether this initial interaction will become a constant element and lead to a true relationship. And I'm curious who these Elves are ... hopefully June will reveal more! ^^

Stoneholw's correction about the "cart" made me snicker. Wink Trolls are not "carrying decks of cards for gambling" but your thoughts do. Your card game plans always hold you mind captive ...  Wink

faeriegirl, that's a surprising unexpected point of view on a well known scene. Reading this my mind envisions pictures ... is looking for pictures to actually SHOW it. But everyone can SEE it anyway the way you paint it with words.

Redhead, I love your heartwarming little story about a new life being created by choice ... by a loving family. Of course I recognize the acting characters, the presumed threemating - and know about the cub that will be born. It's easy for me because we know each other well and you've shared your your thoughts about the family in question and your "shipped" threemating. Laughing Pike Not so obvious for those who returned only recently to the pack ... or have not the time to "live" here.
In case you don't wish to stay obscure it would be nice to reveal the characters by now.

Trollbabe ... as masterly as short! Another creative point of view. Another surprising idea and unusual use of the grab-bag elements. Another insight in the feelings and needs of an alien creature. Last not least you've connected it to the most recent events in FQ. *bows*
Other pictures that are evoked ... so many ideas come to my mind. Such lack of time ... and muse here.

Stonehowl Very Happy ... Welcome back, old friend! Madcoil  <- is monstersize HUG

You've forgotten nothing ... you still capture the reader with the first few sentences. What a haarsh new beginning! I was worried to remeet Shadow in severe trouble... and his already small wandering tribe hit by such terrible blood shed. The young family ... extinct. The chief's cub ... lost. The treeshaper's youngest cub ... gone with his playmates. Sad I'm glad that the Pridewalker Spearclaw made it ... I REALLY hope so!
I like the describtion of Shadow "going out" near death ... meeting his predecessor's and sister's spirits ... and how they sent him back. Like in former days on the scroll I see parallels with the canon elves ... with Cutter meeting his parents' spirits ... yet turned in something else. Looks like the Humans betrayed him ...
... enough reason to go on a quest for revenge. I know the next month (or the following) will tell us what happened - but right now I don't really want to know. I realized that the Stonehowl Elves are still alive for me - much alike the canon EQ elves.

I hope I will contribute something for this grab-bag ... whatever. Something to make a new beginning for me, too.

btw: The rule in the old garb-bags was that picture artists need NOT include ALL the elements in a contribution. Centering on  ONE element will be enough ... or an illustration to one of the prose stories. Grab-Bags are not for writers only - picture artists are welcome and appreciated to join in!

Last edited by Embala on Fri May 08, 2015 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 06, 2015 9:59 pm

Embala wrote:

Stonehowl Very Happy ... Welcome back, old friend! Madcoil  <- is monstersize HUG

Hello my dear! It is good to see you! Smile

Embala wrote:

You've forgotten nothing ... you still capture the reader with the first few sentences.

Actually I have forgotten so much! Last time I visited Stonehowl was like 4 years ago! And I never put in the history for each of the characters on the site I made for the stories! So I dug up an old story that had all the names on there - but not enough clear notes - so I thought, "Keep the elves I remember and still feel attached to. And go forward from there. Especially since this is a new forum and there's a topic for new beginnings..."

Embala wrote:

What a haarsh new beginning! I was worried to remeet Shadow in severe trouble... and his already small wandering tribe hit by such terrible blood shed. The young family ... extinct. The chief's cub ... lost. The treeshaper's youngest cub ... gone with his playmates. Sad I'm glad that the Pridewalker Spearclaw made it ... I REALLY hope so!

I remember Spearclaw, because he was from the (very old) ElfQuest RPG game I ran (pen and paper!) for the tribe I made called The Pridewalkers. So he was going to survive this "reboot." Smile I always enjoy where the stories used to carry me (on the "other" site), and trying to always make each and every month connect and make it an ongoing story. So in my head - I am thinking, "Will I explain and find out who attacked Shadow? Or will it be an emotional rollercoaster mourning their dead? Or something else entirely?" (It's exciting because each month I was being forced to think of a way to take a bunch of random elements, recommended by several people, and weave it into my story and somehow make it all connected!) I love that idea of a challenge!

Embala wrote:

I like the describtion of Shadow "going out" near death ... meeting his predecessor's and sister's spirits ... and how they sent him back. Like in former days on the scroll I see parallels with the canon elves ... with Cutter meeting his parents' spirits ... yet turned in something else. Looks like the Humans betrayed him ...

It's true - and come to think of it - when Cutter got gutted in the Original Quest by the Frost Trolls - he too was in the snow. I hadn't even thought of that. But you're right - definitely a similar connection there between what happened to Shadow and what happened to Cutter. For me, the reason Shadow sees Wildthorn - is not just because he was his previous chief - but because Wildthorn died, because he was vengeful of humans who killed Purespring (Shadow's sister). So it was like Shadow seeing who he was about to become as he was near death.

I intentionally left the betrayal very open - I don't even know right now who attacked Stonehowl. I just knew I wanted to do a clean reboot if I am going to resume doing these grab bags! So...

Embala wrote:

... enough reason to go on a quest for revenge. I know the next month (or the following) will tell us what happened - but right now I don't really want to know.

... Indeed, next month we may find out! Smile And by we - I also mean, me.

Embala wrote:

I realized that the Stonehowl Elves are still alive for me - much alike the canon EQ elves.

If I keep this up, I hope to tell more heart warming stories - and less violence. I just thought a "war" would be a good reboot if I am going to start this again! But yeah, I do want to get to more gentle stories - I just couldn't remember so many of the characters I had created after like 4 or 5 years of doing those Grab Bags at the "other" website.

Embala wrote:

I hope I will contribute something for this grab-bag ... whatever. Something to make a new beginning for me, too.

I hope to see this too!

Last edited by Stonehowl on Wed May 06, 2015 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : - Because Cutter was in "SNOW" not "SHOW"... Typing 101 for the Win!)
Back to top Go down
faeriegirl

faeriegirl

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyThu May 07, 2015 3:05 am

Embala wrote:

faeriegirl, that's a surprising unexpected point of view on a well known scene. Reading this my mind envisions pictures ... is looking for pictures to actually SHOW it. But everyone can SEE it anyway the way you paint it with words.

Thanks!! I will admit that I was/am kind of hoping this would inspire you to make your beautiful collages again... Embarassed I've missed your gorgeous artwork!
No pressure though!!

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 08, 2015 3:11 pm

Stonehowl wrote:

His black hair was like a crown of midnight, contrasting against the snow, as he lay face down, his face turned sideways, his green eyes struggling to see – but his vision blurred, and blackness came over him. The wound in his side, a cut from a troll’s sword, was deep. His blood oozed into the snow, slowly spreading and painting the once white snow, a soft, gentle pink, as his life ebbed away.

Shadow opened his eyes. His body was transparent, floating. Had his body undergone some strange metamorphosis? “High Ones, where am I?” he asked, his voice echoing in the sheer darkness that surrounded him.

This kind of reminds me of the whole experience over the last few years with the old forums dying.  I don’ t know if it was your intention, but to a degree the story seemed to parallel the whole experience of things getting attacked and broken, and a few voices pulling me back to the community here.  

Stonehowl wrote:

Ah, these are the things I missed back in the day...

First, as always, amazing work, Trollhammer.

TrollHammer wrote:

... so one could carry a load or pull a card uninterrupted wherever you needed to go.
I assume that's "cart" not "card" (unless the trolls are carrying decks of cards for gambling!)
Fixed, thanks for pointing it out!  I guess I should proofread before posting!
Thanks for the complement, it means much, keeps me trying.

Stonehowl wrote:

TrollHammer wrote:

Grubfinder reminded himself he needed to put in for a Prospector job one more time.   He craved the peace and quiet out in the far reaches of tunnels, away from the noisy activity of the inner hub.  If he could just get enough time to study his minerals, there might be a chance to pass the aptitude test.

Hah! I can't imagine the trolls doing tests! I always imagine either Picknose type trolls (not overly smart, but great smiths!) or the Frozen trolls - who were great at making weapons and killing!

But I like this idea, you feel for Grubfinder's struggle!

I kind of envision the whole Troll society as being an older-world apprenticeship system, where one is either born into a line of work as what your parents did, studied under them or other masters, and carried on doing whatever they did. One could change their ‘career’ or ‘destiny’, but they would have to prove they were capable.  In our history, just about anyone could become a blacksmith, but only after you worked for many years aiding a master, doing the grunt work (usually a pre-modern blacksmith would have underlings do the actual crude hammering, leaving the master free to focus on details like temperature and whatnot).

Generally, it seems we see ‘career paths’ for the Trolls: Metalsmithing, Mining, Security, Gardening, and so on, and mentally I kind of broke this into a class system. In the case of Mining, you have ore haulers, tailing haulers, tunnelers (keeping the tunnel stable), proper miners (the ones actually pulling the ore from the rock), ore graders, other processing duties (crossing over into refining and smithing), and each step on the chain has greater pay and rewards according to ability and status.  At the top of the mining heap are the Prospectors, who can order experimental tunnels, get first grabs on anything they find, get to wander around in distant caverns, and not have to put up with anyone but direct orders from the King.  They are considered to have the most desirable job, even though it can also be dangerous at times.  

Grubfinder could care less about the danger, as long as it means being alone and free, but he wants the job handed to him and doesn’t want to focus on what it takes to become a Prospector, he just wants the status and peace he feels will come with it.  Should he live long enough without mishap, he should have no issue making it there in due time, but he was trying to take a shortcut and missing the point.

Stonehowl wrote:

TrollHammer wrote:

He waited in line.  There was always a line.  The only thing disturbing was that there were two Elves in the line today, and they wouldn’t stop chattering about some meaningless thing.  Didn’t they have some way to talk from head to head without making such a racket?

You do such an excellent job, throughout this story - with these kinds of lines, that really make you get inside Grubfinder's head and see things from his point of view.

I feel, at times, that the Trolls were kind of glossed over by the authors.  Initially, (fire and flight) they were a nearly disposable plot device, a means for the Elves to get out of their painted-in corner and out into the world as they would come to know it.  Later, there was more and more development (Wolfrider! and others) that drew me in to wanting to know more about them, but they seemed to be left on the edge of necessity, not fully developed beyond what the Elves would see of them… Which fits the story line, but I crave a ‘Troll Quest’, filling in some of the more elusive and dynamic aspects of a monarchy combined with long life and nearly unlimited resources of the underground. (and now that I think of it, what’s going to happen when the Humans start trying to mine for their own ore? Compared with our own history, they will be at an extreme disadvantage, unless the Trolls leave and humans find tunnels leading to massive stockpiles of processed metals and minerals…)

Stonehowl wrote:

TrollHammer wrote:

.... he almost imagined he was still underground, but the noise, which flaired up as he moved, destroyed the illusion.
flared up.

*sends a Preserver to take care of it, singing “Will do! Will fix!” before spitting wrapstuff in my ears just to spite me.*

Stonehowl wrote:

TrollHammer wrote:

He heard the chatter of Elves nearby and sought them out.  Upon finding them, he introduced himself.  Apparently, they had known he was there for quite some time. How they had heard a Troll in all this unnerving clamor was beyond him.

So excellent to keep with the theme of sounds bothering him!

Generally, I think of the underground as being fairly silent, and a Troll would be listening for the slightest sign of a weakening tunnel, the approach of dangerous creatures in the dark, other traffic to avoid… An ore-hauler’s life wouldn’t be as boisterous as that of a forge-smith, banging away with a veritable drum, singing songs of fire and family.
In the case of Grubfinder, we find someone who already feels dumped on, having been given a name based on a very demeaning job at a time in his life when his peers were forging their destinies (we presume he was not as proactive in seeking out meaningful work, and was given a necessary but unwanted task). Despite his attainment of the position of ore hauler (better than a tailings hauler and several other menial tasks, but not by much!), he hadn’t done anything noteworthy to gain a new name, or even a descriptor (such as ‘the shiftless’ or ‘the directionless’), and it’s possible the name has stuck simply as fun-poking by his peers at this point.

Thanks for the critique! Much appreciated!

Embala wrote:

Trollhammer, it's wonderful to see you writing again ... back with a story centering on a Troll.

Grubfinder is lovable and already a complex, interesting character. You've shown hes feeling, his struggle with those new, uncomfortable and sensual overwhelming conditions so vividly. The elfin healer is intriguing ... I wonder whether this initial interaction will become a constant element and lead to a true relationship. And I'm curious who these Elves are ... hopefully June will reveal more! ^^

Stoneholw's correction about the "cart" mad me snicker. Wink Trolls are not "carrying decks of cards for gambling" but your thoughts do. Your card game plans always hold you mind captive ...  Wink
In case you don't wish to stay obscure it would be nice to reveal the characters by now.

Yeah, I got cards on the brain… Don’t know if that’s a good thing, but it’s a thing… lol.  Glad you got a laugh out of it!

Sorry to say, I don’t know who the elves are going to turn out to be.  I’ve found it’s best to just go along for the ride and see where it takes me. If I plan farther than that, I nit-pick the story to pieces and it never gets written (or gets told in my head and I don’t feel like writing it, as I know the ending).  Writing is an adventure for me, and when the adventure disappears I quit writing.  I’m trying a new start on this forum to not get burned out and not writing anything planned.  Never know what’s going to happen so it’s a surprise when I get there!
That said, the healer was more or less patterned on my mental image of Leetah, caring and empathic.  The idea is that this project, whatever it is, has been going on for some time and the King (who I haven’t decided on yet) sends misfits up to help out.  The Elves, who may be fairly impulsive by Troll standards, are caring and patient enough to have figured out what Trolls need to adapt to the surface.  Grubfinder is pretty much in shock as he forces himself to find his way around the site, and the Elves are ready to help him adjust.

Embala wrote:

(Waits with anticipation) Smile

faeriegirl wrote:

Embala wrote:

Thanks!! I will admit that I was/am kind of hoping this would inspire you to make your beautiful collages again... Embarassed  I've missed your gorgeous artwork!
No pressure though!!

I second this emotion! Two-Edge

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 08, 2015 4:32 pm

No need to be sorry, Trollhammer. Being curious ... hoping for more ... this does not mean I need to know it NOW! You know this, right? Wink

I can relate to your problem of "writing down" stries that are already finished in your head. It is WORK. Same with amy crafts and "artwork" of various kind ... when it's too clear in my imagination the making-of is much less fun.  "Creation" and "work" are out of balance.
This method of "not planning everything" sounds much like Stonehowl tells his stories - always did. Does this mean we'll have two ongoing story lines in the grab-bags? Very Happy

TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 08, 2015 6:37 pm

Embala wrote:
...This method of "not planning everything" sounds much like Stonehowl tells his stories - always did. Does this mean we'll have two ongoing story lines in the grab-bags? Very Happy

2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 33598210
 ...he he he he heh heh heh hah hah HAH HAH HAH!!!!!

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyFri May 08, 2015 6:53 pm

TrollHammer wrote:
Stonehowl wrote:

This kind of reminds me of the whole experience over the last few years with the old forums dying.  I don’ t know if it was your intention, but to a degree the story seemed to parallel the whole experience of things getting attacked and broken, and a few voices pulling me back to the community here.  

Certainly not intended - but with elements like "New beginnings" and "metamorphosis" - the elements for this month's grab bag are certainly going to make it seem like there's that connection. Smile

TrollHammer wrote:

I kind of envision the whole Troll society as being an older-world apprenticeship system, where one is either born into a line of work as what your parents did, studied under them or other masters, and carried on doing whatever they did. One could change their ‘career’ or ‘destiny’, but they would have to prove they were capable.  In our history, just about anyone could become a blacksmith, but only after you worked for many years aiding a master, doing the grunt work (usually a pre-modern blacksmith would have underlings do the actual crude hammering, leaving the master free to focus on details like temperature and whatnot).

Generally, it seems we see ‘career paths’ for the Trolls: Metalsmithing, Mining, Security, Gardening, and so on, and mentally I kind of broke this into a class system. In the case of Mining, you have ore haulers, tailing haulers, tunnelers (keeping the tunnel stable), proper miners (the ones actually pulling the ore from the rock), ore graders, other processing duties (crossing over into refining and smithing), and each step on the chain has greater pay and rewards according to ability and status.  At the top of the mining heap are the Prospectors, who can order experimental tunnels, get first grabs on anything they find, get to wander around in distant caverns, and not have to put up with anyone but direct orders from the King.  They are considered to have the most desirable job, even though it can also be dangerous at times.  

Grubfinder could care less about the danger, as long as it means being alone and free, but he wants the job handed to him and doesn’t want to focus on what it takes to become a Prospector, he just wants the status and peace he feels will come with it.  Should he live long enough without mishap, he should have no issue making it there in due time, but he was trying to take a shortcut and missing the point.

I love this kind of development and thought to flesh out the trolls.

TrollHammer wrote:

Thanks for the critique! Much appreciated!

Honor is mine to have read your story, good sir.
Back to top Go down
Outlier

Outlier

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptySat May 09, 2015 11:58 am

Wow, it's great to see this off to such a strong start. I'm really enjoying all the stories and hope to see it continuing. Great job everybody! Hammy

Trollhammer - I'm sorry I haven't read your story yet - it always takes me a little effort to carve out time for the longer ones - but the comments about it made me think of troll stories I've read on another fan site, Rivertwine Holt (www.rivertwine.com). If you have any interest in reading some other imaginings of troll society, there's some pretty good stories there.

Fairyring

Taurus Cat

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyMon May 11, 2015 6:05 am

Embala wrote:

btw: The rule in the old garb-bags was that picture artists need NOT include ALL the elements in a contribution. Centering on  ONE element will be enough ... or an illustration to one of the prose stories. Grab-Bags are not for writers only - picture artists are welcome and appreciated to join in!

Thank you for the clarification, Embala. I wasn't really sure about the rules here. I would like to draw some pictures on some elements then, if allowed?

And I love how the TROLLS are being portrayed here! Great job!!! Grubfinder is really a complex, interesting and strong character! I would love to read more about it...it's better than my fiction novels I read at home. They include elves, but rarely center on trolls.

Very lightly step around,
Tip-Toe as you pass,
Last night Fairies frolicked there
And they're sleeping somewhere near.

~
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyMon May 11, 2015 9:10 am

Tymber wrote:
I really liked the story! The only thing I would add - is addressing who is saying what in the dialogue? In my head I didn't know if I should be imagining a male or female's voice, if I should be thinking of Cutter's voice or Scouter's voice. That type of thing. So saying who was speaking would have been beneficial (to me, anyway!)

But I like being cryptic in these things! Besides; I couldn't mention their names because they aren't known - at least not all of them - and I didn't want to have to invent my own.

It was about events leading up to the birth of Pike; Rain forcing Recognition with (one of) his lifemate(s).

In my head-canon Rain had a chosen lovemate, who really wanted to be a mother. However, he ended up recognizing someone else, the three of them entered a three-way lifemating and raised Rainsong together.
Some years later when Rain decided to attempt to force Recognition his recognized lifemate told him the "test subject" should be his chosen lifemate, because she'd always wanted to have a child.

I just had to make a story with Rain because one of the themes was 'Rain'. Laughing Pike

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyMon May 11, 2015 5:04 pm

Redhead Ember wrote:

Tymber wrote:
But I like being cryptic in these things! Besides; I couldn't mention their names because they aren't known - at least not all of them - and I didn't want to have to invent my own.

First and foremost, if you enjoyed what you wrote - that is the single most important thing. I just want to make that clear. For what I said - I am just offering feedback for what would have made it easier for me. Smile So take it with a grain of salt, as they say! (Not even sure what that means, but so many people say it!) Wink

So, I can understand not wanting to come up with names. For me, maybe a "he said" or "she said" type thing might have helped. "His name will be Crescent," he said. "That's a beautiful name," she replied. - type of thing... again, this was just for me as I read it - so I could "hear" in my head what type of voices I should be hearing... is it all men? All women? A mix?) So again, this is just for me - what would have made it easier for me! But what's important is YOU wrote something creative and YOU enjoyed it! That alone makes me happy!

Redhead Ember wrote:

It was about events leading up to the birth of Pike; Rain forcing Recognition with (one of) his lifemate(s).

In my head-canon Rain had a chosen lovemate, who really wanted to be a mother. However, he ended up recognizing someone else, the three of them entered a three-way lifemating and raised Rainsong together.
Some years later when Rain decided to attempt to force Recognition his recognized lifemate told him the "test subject" should be his chosen lifemate, because she'd always wanted to have a child.

I just had to make a story with Rain because one of the themes was 'Rain'. Laughing Pike

I love that, considering Pike is a big influence towards the creation of Tymber and his personality!
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2015 3:23 am

I guess I could have added gender-markers.

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2015 5:46 pm

After years of rain and a world-shattering thunderstorm the grab-bags are reborn in a thriving metamorphosis.

TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2015 6:04 pm

Embala wrote:
After years of rain and a world-shattering thunderstorm the grab-bags are reborn in a thriving metamorphosis.

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2015 6:11 pm

Embala wrote:

That's perhaps the best story this month. Smile
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyTue May 12, 2015 6:50 pm

(This month's grab bag continued, for Stonehowl, since I was feeling inspired! All elements used again!). Special thanks to Fairyring - for the comment about the Atlas, which gave me the idea of introducing a "specific" kind of human...

===============

* New Beginnings
* Metamorphosis
* Blooming
* A storm
* Rain

The wind whipped his blood stained hair around, as his eyes stared out into the blood stained snow. His green eyes, which resembled blooming grass, now brimmed with frozen tears, as the chilling wind relentlessly beat against him. He stood, as if frozen, but he breathed in the chilling air, slowly, exhaling so that a he could see the clouds of breath each time. In the snow, he could see where members of his tribe had fallen. There in the snow, he could also see the bodies of the Frost Men, as he had called them. Men who came aboard long, wooden ships, having sailed down from Muchcold Water, and down through the river. The humans spoke a different tongue than the humans Shadow had dealt with before. He had tried to speak with them, when they first brought their boats to the shore while he and his tribe were out hunting. Their initial reaction had to been to attack. Shadow felt as if he had stepped out of his body as he recalled the moment he saw his tribe fall.

Wardance had taken a spear to the leg in the attack; but Shadow had immediately called for everyone to flee. The other Frost Men had unleashed a wave of arrows during the attack.

Shadow and the Priderwalker, Spearclaw, had spent many nights keeping an eye on the Frost Men. The Frost Men seemed interested in ravishing the land, taking, killing and hunting everything that was in their way. Shadow had a deep, disturbing feeling that this was going to change things. These Frost Men cared nothing for peace. Shadow had watched from a distance as they had made camp, pitching tents made of leathers from animals they had hunted. They were not leaving anytime soon, Shadow knew. By the looks of their clothing, it appeared they had left a colder region behind; perhaps their food supplies had run dry. Now they were here – in a forest full of game and food, where even during the cold season, things continued to bloom. It looked to be settling for the cold season.

Shadow had told his tribe to stay clear of the Frost Men at all costs. He had hoped when the Frost Men had gathered enough supplies, they would either return back to the ColdWater or continue further down the river and no longer be a problem.

“Shadow,” her voice was gentle and soft. Shadow turned to see his love mate, Foxhair, her auburn hair soaked by the rain and snow, blending and washing away her tears she strived so hard to hide. “They will be back,” she said. “There’s too few of us to defend ourselves against their numbers.”

Shadow looked beyond Foxhair, and standing there were his dearest friends – Vineweaver and Stillbreeze, their arms around their two eldest cubs, Echo and Windfetcher. Beside, Stillbreeze, Spearclaw stood, despite the gushing wound in his abdomen. Stream was trying to tend to his wounds, but she was exhausted, pushed far beyond her limits. Snowcloud was next to Stream, trying to tell her that she would take care of Spearclaw, and that she had bandages, but Stream was sobbing too much, crying how she had failed everyone already.

This was all that remained of them now. Warsong, Wardance, Dust, Dawn, Skyshade, and even his own cub, Snowspring were among those killed in the Frost Men’s attack. It had only been the wolves who had helped drive the Frost Men back. But Foxhair was right. The Frost Men would be back. They perceived Shadow and his tribe as a threat to be conquered and wiped out.

Shadow thought about just a few hours ago. There had been a strange sound, a horn. Then Warsong fell first. An arrow through his chest felled him quickly. Wardance warned the others of the attack, but he had been playing with his cubs. That’s when the Frost Men appeared, charging forward, having used the snow to camouflage themselves until they could get close enough. The Frost Men knew about the wolves, and attacked downwind from them, so that their scents would not be picked up.

They charged forward, from the snow, and without thought or remorse cut down Wardance, and his two cubs. Skyfire screamed and charged the Frost Men, and found an arrow piercing her already broken heart, before she slumped to the ground.

Shadow and the others had charged the Frost Men, but then they drew their shields and slammed them into the ground, forming a shield wall. From beyond the wall, they lunged forward spears and arrows, one of those spears striking Spearclaw, one of those arrows, flying so high came down and struck Foxhair, and then the next three arrows from the air struck Snowspring.

Foxhair’s hand was on his shoulder. “We need to leave Stonehowl.”

Shadow’s gaze became vacant, glazed, staring out into nothing. A new beginning was coming. Change. And they would have to change with it.

faeriegirl

faeriegirl

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 13, 2015 1:37 pm

*shudders* Great story once more!

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 EmptyWed May 13, 2015 4:23 pm

faeriegirl wrote:
*shudders* Great story once more!

Thank you. That's actually a story I am a little more proud of. The first one was just a quick "reset" - and felt very incomplete. So I had to flesh it out more.

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....   2 - May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc.... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

May "Grab bag" stories/poetry/art/etc....
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next