Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Add to the story, add the next element.

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tymber

Tymber

Add to the story, add the next element. Empty
PostSubject: Add to the story, add the next element.   Add to the story, add the next element. EmptyTue May 12, 2015 9:35 pm

So I was just sitting here, still itching to write more (I can't possibly do a 3rd story to add to the grab bag for the month! I mean, I could - but I am trying to refrain from doing so!) So I thought, "I need to do something new..."

And came up with an idea based off the Grab Bags and the RP stuff.  So the idea is, none of this is canon - and that you add to the story, in any way you want - and when you're done, you suggest the next "element" that the next writer must contain in their addition. So say you write about an elf sitting at the edge of the lake, and then for the next element you suggest "a falling star." The next person who adds to the story, must use the element you suggested (in this case, a falling star). The idea is, it will be an ongoing "story" built by everyone on the forum. I figured I'd go with a unique set of elves, non canon, so you don't have to worry about, "Oh, but Picknose wasn't around when this happened!" or "Rain was already dead when this happened!" Just write and have fun with it. I would say, even art can be used. So for example if someone (using the previous example) writes about an elf by a lake, suggests a falling star as the next element, then someone does a picture of an elf, by the lake, with a falling star in the sky, then they could recommend the next element after their photo. So that way, whatever your creative talents, you can partake in this.

And you don't have to create your own character. So for example, if I start the story with an elf named Stonebark, sitting at the edge of the lake. When you add to the story, you can write what Stonebark does next. The idea is that this would be a community story element grab bag sort of thing - where we're all writing it together. No one owns any specific character in here.

Need to create an Elf Name? This site has a lot of words you could combine: http://www.angelfire.com/rpg2/vortexshadow/names.html

So I will begin...

===============================

The twin moons peered through the clouds that gently passed over the dark skies. A soft breeze blew through Stonebark's brown hair as he took in a deep breath. He sat on the edge of the branch, gazing over the beautiful lake before him. The wind had created gentle ripples which created an unusual effect when the moon's reflection was cast upon the water. Leaping down from the tree tops, Stonebark approached the edge of the lake and knelt down, cupping a small handful of the fresh water and sipping from it.

Next Element: A Falling Star (bet you didn't see that coming?)
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Add to the story, add the next element.   Add to the story, add the next element. EmptyWed May 13, 2015 1:37 am

Stonebark glanced at the water's surface then looked up quickly in surprise. He watched intrigued as the star raced across the sky, a brilliant tail of blue and white fire streaming out behind it. The sight made him smile for some reason. He stood up, putting his hands on his hips in a comfortable position, half expecting the star to wink out into the distant night, continuing onto its journey. What he didn't expect was the star to seem to change directions and begin flying in a new direction. A direction that was right at him!

He quickly took a step back, knowing in the rational back of his mind that he should run in any direction to avoid being killed, but he found himself rooted to the spot, only able to watch with wide eyes as the star grew brighter and brighter, plummeting towards the surface of the lake.

next element: an unexpected twist!
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Add to the story, add the next element.   Add to the story, add the next element. EmptyWed May 13, 2015 9:20 pm

The burning light collided into the lake; the impact sent Stonebark flailing backwards. His body slammed against an ancient oak tree, who also found itself bending against the ripples of concussive air. For a brief moment, Stonebark saw a glowing white light in the middle of the lake. He felt the lake's water, now overflowing, wash against his face, and just before he lost consciousness he thought he saw someone stepping out of the blinding, white light.

Next Element: A Red Flower/Rose.

Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Add to the story, add the next element.   Add to the story, add the next element. EmptyWed May 13, 2015 10:03 pm

Stonebark groaned as he slowly regained consciousness, acutely aware of the ringing in his ears, and the uncomfortable dampness of his leathers. For a moment he had no idea what had happened, until the memory rushed back. He quickly sat up and looked around, seeing nothing out of the ordinary. Had it been only some strange dream? But dreams didn't wet your clothes. He glanced down at himself before pushing himself to stand.

He looked around again, unsure as he crossed his arms a bit defensively over his chest, a shield against his emotions. The falling star had landed in the lake and his lights had gone out, but where was it? And he had the vaguest impression of...a shape. A humanoid shape. Then where...? he paused as he heard a giggle, and turned sharply towards the trees. And blinked at what he saw.

There was a vaguely elfin looking woman standing there...or at least, she seemed female. The shape looked approximate. But even the eyes were a little too wide to be elf in nature, and she had large petal like wings sprouting from her back, in all the shades of a rich red thornflower. Everything about her seemed red, from her hair to her eyes to her lips, to her dress that even seemed to be made out of red petals. She looked like a preserver female, but his size. He cautiously came forward, a little annoyed at the amusement that radiated from her, presumably amusement from his actions.

“Who....who are you?” he asked, glancing her over once more, though struck when he saw the wings actually giving a light flutter. Could she actually fly with those wings? The woman creature's smile grew larger, and another small giggle escaped her red red lips. When she spoke, it made him think of the wind running through a field of flowers, though it was an odd thought for him. “I am Rose” she answered.

next element: Food/Cooking
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Add to the story, add the next element.   Add to the story, add the next element. EmptyThu May 14, 2015 6:39 pm

"Rose," Stonebark repeated, still not sure what to make of her. She seemed to be something of a cross between human, Preserver, and Elf. While she had a skin tone color that reminded him of a Preserver, along with her wing span; she stood about his own height - but had rounded ears, like a human.

At that moment, Springrunner - a fellow elf from Stonebark's tribe, burst through the brush. "Stonebark! What in the -" Suddenly Springrunner halted in his steps. "High Ones was that?" he finished his question, though the words were barely audible. Springrunner continued to stare at the unusual crimson figure before him. "Is it... a preserver?"

There had only been two Preservers that remained with Stonebark's tribe - one named Berryseed and the other Treebark - but never had they - in the nonsensical ramblings of a Preserver, ever mentioned anything like what was standing before them.

Rose, as she had identified herself to Stonebark, looked very alarmed by the presence of Springrunner. Stonebark extended his hand, "Rose, can we... offer you some food?"

Next Element: A Storm.

faeriegirl

faeriegirl

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Add to the story, add the next element.   Add to the story, add the next element. EmptyFri May 15, 2015 9:22 am

Rose jerked away from his hand. "Don't touch me!" Her wings suddenly beat hard, driving Stonebark and Springsummer back with their force. Rose rose a few feet from the ground. Her wings kept sending strong gales of wind to both elves, combined with small druplets of water displaced from the soaking wet lake edge.

------------------
Next element: fire

Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Add to the story, add the next element.   Add to the story, add the next element. EmptySat May 16, 2015 2:57 pm

In the forest, among the tall trees, a reddish-orange light could be seen, flickering in the darkness. Soon other lights joined it, and began to come closer. Stonebark, Springrunner, and Rose turned their heads towards it, the elves in alarm, Rose in innocent surprise.

The red lights were the fire of torches, and what was approaching them was a group of humans. They had seen the falling star from their village, and the human chief had sent these five of his best hunters to go and see if the star could be found. The human chief was convinced that stars were bright jewels fastened to the ceiling of the world. Such a jewel and owning it would make him the greatest human chief there was!

---

Next element: a misunderstanding.

Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Add to the story, add the next element.   Add to the story, add the next element. EmptyFri May 29, 2020 7:30 pm

Rose looked at the approaching flashing amber and orange lights approaching. She turned to Stonebark and Springrunner. "More of your kind?"

"Our kind?" Springrunner shook his head. "Afraid not. That would be the humans."

"Human?" Rose tilted her head.

"Tall, like you - round ears, like you - but no fluttering wings, like us," he gestured at himself. "And their chief, while normally peaceful with our kind - does have some... unusual thoughts. And if he saw that light... or if he sees you... I don't know what he will think. And no matter how we try to explain it, it will end up being a misunderstanding that may cost you your life," Stonebark explained. "Please," he extended his hand, "come with us."

---
Next element: Meeting someone new

Side note - I was looking for something else on the forum when I stumbled back onto this thread, which was from 5 years ago! (Almost to the day!) And I thought I'd add to it, and see if there was still an interest in continuing this.

The cast so far - and adding details mentioned so far:
The Elves -
Stonebark - Brown hair
Springrunner

The Mysterious Stranger:
Rose - wings colored like Preserver, body, lips, skin, all red, round ears like a human

The Humas:
Unnamed Human Chief

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Add to the story, add the next element.   Add to the story, add the next element. Empty

Back to top Go down

Add to the story, add the next element.
Page 1 of 1