Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).

Go down 
+11
Embala
Sharp leaf
Nibblet
Holt
Stormcatcher
faeriegirl
Kindredsoul
manga
Multimedea
G0lden
Kojiyumi
15 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tymber

Tymber

ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). Empty
PostSubject: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyThu May 14, 2015 12:35 pm

So eons ago - and I literally mean, EONS ago - I had purchased and played the ElfQuest RPG with some friends.

I loved the gaming system, seemed pretty solid (lots of math though when creating characters) - and the chance to play (or even run) and ElfQuest campaign was an enjoyable one. However, one of the limits I quickly found to the game - was lack of "action" to do. Because it was based on ElfQuest, and what had existed at that point - the book only covered Elves, Trolls, Preservers and Humans. It had mentioned a few of the "wild life" things that existed in ElfQuest - but that was typically things that the Elves would hunt. There wasn't much in the way of "things" to bother the Elves for adventure - unless it was Elves, Humans and Trolls - which was fine in the beginning. I remember introducing a tribe I called the Pridewalkers (Elves who bound with lions in the plains, and like the lions had great manes of hair). There were some Stone Trolls, that were just your average troll (a mix between Picknose and crew and the Frost Trolls - smart enough to be troublesome, but willing to make trades when needed). Humans were the main adversaries of the Elves in my campaign.

I eventually turned to my D&D Monster Manual to include additional "monsters" that the Elves could encounter. Such as the Displacer Beast, which was - in my ElfQuest campaign - created in a similar fashion that Madcoil was. I brought in a section of Dinosaurs, in a part of the land that the Elves ventured through.

Anyone else ever play it? What did you do?

Also - I had created a "character generator" that did all the "math" for you (included all the elves, trolls, humans, preserves, and even High Ones). You can check out EQ Roll on my site. The site also has a map of the Atlas that came with the game, if you never saw that. As well as PDFs of the character sheets.
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyThu May 14, 2015 8:27 pm

I played it long ago as one of my rare foreis into RPG but mostly I remember there not being much to do, as you said.
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyThu May 14, 2015 9:05 pm

manga wrote:
I played it long ago as one of my rare foreis into RPG but mostly I remember there not being much to do, as you said.

Yes, that was the definite downside to the ElfQuest RPG. They came out with two modules that expanded it a little, but even those were very specific (one being sea elves). So it really relied on the game master to come up with some new, creative ways to engage the players. The plus side, when I introduced things like the Displacer Beast (from the D&D Monster Manual), the players became very engaged - because it was something new (even though it's origin was similar to Madcoil as a way to explain what it was) - but they were excited to have their own version of hunting down Madcoil without it being Madcoil. And the Dinosaurs were another fun addition. I just wish the RPG had come out with more monsters (or a general method of at least creating custom monsters). Star Frontiers had a monster I used in one of the previous Grab Bags called a Quickdeath. So relying on other games to draw ideas for monsters was how I had kept my game going for as long as it did (which was about a year and a half, meeting every weekend or ever other weekend, depending).
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyThu May 14, 2015 9:43 pm

Is this the book one? That one I have, but never played it because no one else where I live was into EQ but me Rolling Eyes

Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyFri May 15, 2015 12:08 am

Kindredsoul wrote:
Is this the book one? That one I have, but never played it because no one else where I live was into EQ but me Rolling Eyes

Yes. Came in two versions. A boxed set and a single "updated" edition - both were orange in color.
Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyFri May 15, 2015 12:40 am

Don't know about a boxed set... but this is the one I have. I guess that's the updated?

ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). 51CL-S8z%2BpL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_

was still boring by myself!!!! ><

Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyFri May 15, 2015 1:23 pm

Kindredsoul wrote:
Don't know about a boxed set... but this is the one I have. I guess that's the updated?
ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). 51CL-S8z%2BpL._SX258_BO1,204,203,200_
was still boring by myself!!!! ><

That's the one I have as well.

Here's the boxed set, which is much more rare:

ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). Elfquest1stboxset

Shame, back then ElfQuest wasn't as popular as it has been growing to be. (Still not a "house hold" name when it comes to comics... but it's reached more people for sure). Shame we are not all at least on the same time zone; do a game through Skype or something!
Back to top Go down
Kojiyumi

Kojiyumi

Scorpio Horse

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyFri May 15, 2015 1:35 pm

I have the box, but never played it as I could never find anybody who wanted to run an EQ game, despite being a tabletopper at the time (mostly I used it as a source book for bad fanfic XD) I think it's D&D v2, if I remember right (confirming this would involve going into the other room, and once I start flipping through things, the Now of will kick in and I WILL end up late for work as I lose track of time.).

Doesn't it have.... THAC0?!?!

I frikkin' HATE THAC0.

ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). Sig10
*✲゚*。✧KOJIYUMI✧。*✲゚*

ණ⃛(ᵒ͈̑ᴗ̂ᵒ͈̑ )” Getting stuff done at the speed of smell! ─=≡Σ((( つ•̀ω•́)つ

ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). Sigimage
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyFri May 15, 2015 1:46 pm

Kojiyumi wrote:
I have the box, but never played it as I could never find anybody who wanted to run an EQ game, despite being a tabletopper at the time (mostly I used it as a source book for bad fanfic XD) I think it's D&D v2, if I remember right (confirming this would involve going into the other room, and once I start flipping through things, the Now of will kick in and I WILL end up late for work as I lose track of time.).  
Doesn't it have.... THAC0?!?!
I frikkin' HATE THAC0.

Heh. I loved THAC0 - mostly because D&D was simpler back then (except the math of trying to figure out THAC0).

For the ElfQuest game - no, it wasn't AD&D 2nd Edition. It was actually a little - a lot more? - complicated than D&D was. First the skills were all determined by your stats, and what kind of Elf you were {for example} - so for example Spear Use might be Strength + Dexterity x2 for Wolfriders, but it might be Strength + Dexterity for Sun Folk. (Which is why I had made the program I mentioned in the first post - about making a program that rolls up your characters for you! So it'd do all that ridiculous math for you). And the "to hit" was even more complicated - you'd need to do (I am try to remember this...) - a successful "hit" based on your skill (so for example Using a Spear), and then the person has (this may have been option rule?) a chance to use their Dodge skill, and if it's still a hit - there's a "hit table" - to determine where you hit the person (right arm, left arm, right leg, left leg, abdomen, head).
Back to top Go down
Kojiyumi

Kojiyumi

Scorpio Horse

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyFri May 15, 2015 2:02 pm

Number nightmare...

And see there is why I loved 3rd because it did away with 90% of the math and we were focused 99% on the stories. Very little combat with us, more straight RP. ...and then we hit WoD and forgot about D&D for a long while.

ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). Sig10
*✲゚*。✧KOJIYUMI✧。*✲゚*

ණ⃛(ᵒ͈̑ᴗ̂ᵒ͈̑ )” Getting stuff done at the speed of smell! ─=≡Σ((( つ•̀ω•́)つ

ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). Sigimage
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyFri May 15, 2015 3:41 pm

Kojiyumi wrote:
Number nightmare...
And see there is why I loved 3rd because it did away with 90% of the math and we were focused 99% on the stories.  Very little combat with us, more straight RP. ...and then we hit WoD and forgot about D&D for a long while.

3rd Edition D&D was good! I agree. But there was so many skills to remember (and how many points you get when you level, and at what levels!) But over all, very easy. The D&D I DM currently is what I call 2.5 D&D - it's like a mix of 2nd Edition & 3.0/3.5 D&D.

As for WoD... not sure what that is?
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyFri May 15, 2015 4:02 pm

What it really needed was some adventure modules, something to DO. And making our own characters would be fun, I'd also give my left arm to play Rayek. Mwa ha ha. Smile
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyFri May 15, 2015 6:16 pm

manga wrote:
What it really needed was some adventure modules, something to DO.   And making our own characters would be fun, I'd also give my left arm to play Rayek.  Mwa ha ha.  Smile

Well they had the stats for Rayek in the game, so you could have played him.

And I always considered doing modules and what not (like including monsters I used from D&D and giving them the ElfQuest spin).
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyFri May 15, 2015 8:49 pm

The problem I have with that assumes you know A) Elfquest and B) enough about RPGs to tinker. I never managed to get both types of knowledge in the same room at the same time.
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyFri May 15, 2015 8:59 pm

manga wrote:
The problem I have with that assumes you know A) Elfquest and B) enough about RPGs to tinker. I never managed to get both types of knowledge in the same room at the same time.

Ah! Yeah.

The problem with the ElfQuest is KNOWING ElfQuest. Not many know it. And you hear ElfQuest - and people imagine elves like those from Lord of the Rings and what not. So it's difficult to explain. The game I ran, the people (except for 2? I think?) were familiar with ElfQuest. The 2 that weren't - had a very general knowledge (just from general convo when myself and others talked about ElfQuest).

Back to top Go down
Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyFri May 15, 2015 11:24 pm

I sucked at DnD table top gaming anyway, and then I started playing it again (I forget the series) with my boys and their friends a few years back, but the only reason they wanted me to play was because the kid who was GM said the only way the game progressed was because I was the one yelling at the others to keep them on track Suspect

Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptySat May 16, 2015 11:34 am

Kindredsoul wrote:
I sucked at DnD table top gaming anyway, and then I started playing it again (I forget the series) with my boys and their friends a few years back, but the only reason they wanted me to play was because the kid who was GM said the only way the game progressed was because I was the one yelling at the others to keep them on track Suspect

Laughing Well, it's technically impossible to "suck" at D&D... I mean, you can have ill fated dice rolls, sure! But that's not your fault!

How old were the kids that were playing D&D?

Because if they're old enough to have a good story, plan the adventure, then you should ideally have a good time.
Back to top Go down
G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptySun May 17, 2015 3:31 pm

Never got into D&D or any other role playing game for the matter. A good video game on the other hand

Multimedea

Multimedea

Taurus Snake

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptySun May 17, 2015 5:37 pm

I think EQ would work great as a CCG (collectable card game). A ccg has quicker, more focused game play for any number of players, can aaccomidate multiple characters, utilize the great EQ art, and can expand easily enough. It probably wouldn't be too hard to base it on an existing system, but it'd be hella work to work up all the cards you'd want.

manga

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyMon May 18, 2015 12:44 am

I'd play an EQ RPG video game. NOT an MMORPG though.
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyMon May 18, 2015 11:48 am

G0lden wrote:
Never got into D&D or any other role playing game for the matter.  A good video game on the other hand

A shame! I love being a DM (Dungeon Master) / GM (Game Master) - because it allows me to tell stories, and have the players interact and do things that impact the world and story; and more frequently than not, I am forced to constantly think on my feet - and be ready to adjust the story or take into account actions I had not anticipated the players doing! It's very fun, for me! (We just gamed last night from about 1pm to 9pm!) Longer than usual gaming session, but a lot of fun!

Multimedea wrote:
I think EQ would work great as a CCG (collectable card game). A ccg has quicker, more focused game play for any number of players, can aaccomidate multiple characters, utilize the great EQ art, and can expand easily enough. It probably wouldn't be too hard to base it on an existing system, but it'd be hella work to work up all the cards you'd want.

I never got into Magic: The Gathering (which I assume is sort of what you mean?) - I do know there's the collectable card game that's out now for ElfQuest, that was funded by the Kickstarter. Anyone played that?

You know what I think would be fun, is a HEROCLIX version of ElfQuest (but the original HeroClix, when it was much simpler!)

manga wrote:
I'd play an EQ RPG video game. NOT an MMORPG though.

Somewhere on this forum, Trollhammer had mentioned about making a game... Folks should go reply to it! Smile
Back to top Go down
faeriegirl

faeriegirl

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyMon May 18, 2015 1:32 pm

Tymber wrote:

Multimedea wrote:

I never got into Magic: The Gathering (which I assume is sort of what you mean?) - I do know there's the collectable card game that's out now for ElfQuest, that was funded by the Kickstarter. Anyone played that?

I have that one. From CheekyDingo Games. EQ Adventure game.

In theory... If I claim the unused table in our spare bedroom... I could set out a game, and take a photo every time somebody takes a turn. Max 4 players.

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyMon May 18, 2015 5:15 pm

faeriegirl wrote:
Tymber wrote:

Multimedea wrote:

In theory... If I claim the unused table in our spare bedroom... I could set out a game, and take a photo every time somebody takes a turn. Max 4 players.

Hah! Like a virtual game of it?

I am just curious how the game plays. Is it easy? What are the rules and such? It's available at a local store, but I don't want to purchase it if I am never going to play it.
Back to top Go down
TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyMon May 18, 2015 5:33 pm

Tymber wrote:
faeriegirl wrote:
Tymber wrote:

Multimedea wrote:

I am just curious how the game plays. Is it easy? What are the rules and such? It's available at a local store, but I don't want to purchase it if I am never going to play it.

There is a program called LackeyCCG that would allow the kickstarter game to be played online worldwide for free, but it would mean someone would have to import the card set and rules into it. From what I read, not hard, just time consuming. Then anyone in the world can play. This is assuming you worked out the copyright issues.

Further, I have several card sets made up for a Magic the Gathering variant. The problem I have is once I have a few hundred cards generated I lose focus. Part of the issue is that SO MUCH artwork has to be made up for it, or permissions have to be procured from WaRP. Last time I tried to discuss it over there it was met with RP:"not sure if or how the copyright would work out with it scattered all over the internet". I'm still currently working on an entirely fan produced card set that would be implemented through LackeyCCG for all to play, but still need artwork.

I probably have over 700 unique cards so far, mostly characters, but will need help coming up with more 'situational' cards, making up the enchantments, sorceries, and instants (just card types in the game, they would work out to be more like events, plans, traps, and actions for EQ).

Spent a lot of time on an EQ RPG video game. More than willing to help someone else out or share what I have learned, but I'm burned out. It still came down to imagery and graphics being the killer. Might try a text based game in the future.

faeriegirl

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). EmptyTue May 19, 2015 3:21 am

Tymber wrote:
faeriegirl wrote:
Tymber wrote:

Multimedea wrote:

Something like that! Difficulty level is... strange. Setting up the game is easy, but the explanations of all the icons are a bit scattered through the rulebook which make your first game a bit... difficult to win Wink
I do have the digital printout version of the game too... I could upload the pdf file of the rulebook somewhere, I guess. Just not the complete game due to copyright stuff Wink
Does that mean you're up for a virtual game then, Tymber? It's playable by 1-4 players, so it would work fine.

PostSubject: Re: ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).   ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper). Empty

Back to top Go down

ElfQuest - RPG (the pen & paper).
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next