Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Final Quest #12

Go down 
+39
Stormcatcher
Embala
Cloudbuck
Multi-Facets
Zadzi
Stargazer
Davrille
wingthing
ErinC1978
Shadowpath
Vaeri
TrollHammer
Miss Gillespie
G0lden
kathleen3.0
Miscellaneous
sun girl
Outlier
Redhead Ember
KR Wordgazer
Sifra
PCoquelin
Wisp
manga
howler monkey
Tymber
Soreyes
Paranthropus
Tenderleaf
Lurks
Kindredsoul
m0nkeyh0use
wolfmoonsky
Tam
Josine
Arthis
Trollbabe
Merelf
Nibblet
43 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24 ... 28  Next
AuthorMessage
Outlier

Outlier

12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 4:31 pm

I was just re-reading this morning, and I got the impression that both Rayek and Ekuar got new clothes. Ekuar certainly seems to be checking out his new gear in the picture.

I've always had the same suspicion as Trollhammer about the choppiness of the story. That has always been my biggest gripe that it feels really hurried and there's a lot that is just skimmed over that we aren't shown and just have fill in for ourselves. I get the feeling that either Wendy just wanted to get this story done before calling it quits, or this opportunity with Dark Horse came along before they were quite ready and she's been piecing together a lot of scattered ideas, trying to make it work.

12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 12010412
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 4:33 pm

I also like that Cutter's fighting this cray cray soul sharing stuff. Oh you're just a sliver of me, you're like my own personal ch-ch-chia elf! He damn well should run like hell. I don't blame him.

I still don't understand why Leetah and Skywise don't 'get' or seem at all conscious of Timmain's being part of Cutter and vice versa. I realize maybe they get something in a roundabout way (well, Skywise does) but Leetah just.... not having any kind of inner thought about it at all? My lifemate is shattered from the inside-out and he just came out of the Palace, where Timmain was? Timmain is acting weird and fainting? I used to love those moments where Leetah would have one of her royal little fits, like when she lashed out at Rayek or slapped Skot. Even when she turned on Teir that time. I would've loved to see her claws come out and that protective streak: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY LIFEMATE? I know Timmain's a high one and everything, but seriously, seeing Leetah act so passive in this situation is surprising. Skywise I can understand since he's so smitten and just got the **** of his life, and has always been googley-eyed about Timmain.

12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Outlier

Outlier

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 4:35 pm

Zadzi wrote:
I would've loved to see her claws come out and that protective streak: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY LIFEMATE? .

THAT would have been awesome!

Back to top Go down
Multi-Facets

Multi-Facets

Sagittarius Dog

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 4:51 pm

Yes it would have. Completely agreed.

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 4:52 pm

Embala wrote:
Now that's HARD.
Non of us is a doctor and non of us has proved to be able to read the truth from a crystal sphere.

We can tell our opinion about the art About the story. We know what we like and what we hoped for. We can easily compare old and new art and discuss the differencies and weaknesses. We have fan artists and writers and professional artists and passionate readers - people who know enough about storytelling, drawing and coloring to point out failures.

But such a remote diagnosis on health is damn too personal and ungrounded in my opinion! Hurtful ... for Wendy and Richard Pini. And for everyone who actually suffers from dementia because it was used comes across as an insult.

The reason I say it is because of my grandmother, who suffers from Alzheimer's.

In the span of a decade she went from producing well done, intricate, colour coordinated afghans, to barely being able to knit. And even that's failing her now.

TSATS may have been a racist piece of drek, but I can't fault it in terms of storyline togetherness and coherency. Even the art was good. Or, well, decent.

Discovery was okay. Again, we had a coherent storyline and semi-decent Art.

Now we have this. The storyline is incoherent and contradictory, the art is ... Frankly, I think it's terrible. And it has its moments where it briefly improves, then it falters again. Like my grandmother's afghans, like Pterry's books.

I think Wendy might be failing and is trying to get this story out. It's not an insult, it's an observation. I think her health is failing, and her art is suffering as a result.

I also think she and her husband aren't particularly nice people, and that they're both racist, but that's not related to their health, or their art, just an opinion based on observations of their social media. EG, their total disregard of the young lady a couple of years ago who tried to bring their attention to the use of brownface in cosplay, Wendy's comments on Asian people, and Richard's treatment of Lunakat and I before shutting the SOC down. And while I wouldn't necessarily ask Wendy if she had neurological health issues to her face, I would tell her exactly what I thought of her and her husband with a smile. I mean, if it came down to it.
Back to top Go down
kathleen3.0

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 5:00 pm

The pony has actually been the best part of FQ for me, art wise. It looks like the przewalski horses at my local zoo, and like the early European horses in general. Today we think of horses in terms of sleekness and grace, the reality is that early in the use of horses, you would have wanted a strong, sturdy creature that could walk a long way, carrying a heavy load. In fact, a medieval knight would have ridden a small, sturdy horse like Dre Ahn's, rather than a frothy concoction with a swayback and fragile hooves. The only surprise is that it's supposedly on the equivalent to the North American continent, where, in our world, horses went extinct around the same time other ice age megafauna did, and were reintroduced by Spanish invaders in the fifteenth century.

The horse is my favourite new character.
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 5:03 pm

I disagree, Kathleen, about Discovery. I thought that was drek.
I actually liked SATS even with its clumsy racist character 'study'. The story sort of redeemed itself.

Back to top Go down
Elwing

Elwing

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 5:05 pm

She may be going for an Icelander here, but it still looks like it's daddy was a rhinoceros or something...
12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 640px-IcelandicHorseInWinter
Back to top Go down
kathleen3.0

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 5:07 pm

Don't make me challenge you to a duel, Zadzi.
Back to top Go down
kathleen3.0

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 5:09 pm

I think she meant it for a primitive wild horse. They were out competed in Europe thanks to humans their horses.
Back to top Go down
Elwing

Elwing

Cancer Dog

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 5:17 pm

Nah, wild horses like Przewalki's tend to have stiff, short manes. And nothing on Earth is built like that. But then again this is not earth, and there is a long line of animals that are not quite right and it helps to sell the idea of an alien world. It would have been better if they had stuck to "no-hump". Pony sounds so...Human bred.
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 5:27 pm

Actually, Skywise did call it a no-hump back in issue 10. It was just the (I assume) human narrator who called it a pony.

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 5:46 pm

Leetah is totes acting weird.

Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 5:49 pm

I don't know what "drek" means-- but Discovery was both good and bad. I think the art vacillated between being great and awkward. But I don't really mind. I agree that the story was coherent. It held together, had a specific direction-- people acted in character-- and there was a solid beginning, middle and end-- and it fit well within the larger world of Elfquest and where the collective story was headed.

However, it wasn't the greatest story ever told. Not the greatest story in Elfquest. But not sucky either. Some of the art was steller-- and then there were  some panels that seemed as if they were blocked in but never drawn over-- like they got overlooked or something in the finish. I could see how some people really liked it and maybe some people didn't. I think it was a good inclusion to the overall mythos.

Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 6:01 pm

kathleen3.0 wrote:
Don't make me challenge you to a duel, Zadzi.

Bwahaha. Nah, I am far too depleted from the confusion of the past issue.

I hated Discovery because of the colors. I don't even really pay that much attention to coloring in EQ like some people here who have a far better concept and know what they're talking about. But the colors made me twitch, they were really annoying to my eyes.

I also for the first time really disliked the palace. I started seeing it as this kind of fruitcake kumbaya plot device and the insipid cliches of love and comfort etc. made me actually angry. Like all the elves' problems would somehow melt away through the palace's loving embrace. It just seemed kind of sappy.
Plus it was the introduction of Brill, who is on my irrational hate list. I don't mind the other Wave Dancers at all, even though I still feel they're not as well developed as characters as they could be.

Back to top Go down
kathleen3.0

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 6:04 pm

Now we're going to have to fight because Brill is awesome. She's sweet, and gentle and completely insensitive, what's not to love?
Back to top Go down
kathleen3.0

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 6:04 pm

They're all out of character.
Back to top Go down
Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 6:11 pm

Zadzi wrote:
I used to love those moments where Leetah would have one of her royal little fits, like when she lashed out at Rayek or slapped Skot. Even when she turned on Teir that time. I would've loved to see her claws come out and that protective streak: WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO MY LIFEMATE?

Yes! I adore her sometimes, like in Blue Mountain in the OQ, when she was looking for Winowill and Dewshine on her own. When she is being independent and facing her fears. The rest of the time, I don't get her scratch
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 6:58 pm

Idea:

Leetah's LACK of reaction to Timmain after Cutter flees the Palace is a clue to her connection to the High One. Timmain referred to her as "our beloved lifemate," which would seem to indicate she has feelings towards Leetah (insert snark from Wingthing here Wink ) and maybe, on a subconscious level, Leetah feels the same.

After all, when it's a case of someone you love hurting someone else you love, you don't go to quite the same DEFCON level, at least to start, as you would if it were anyone else.
Back to top Go down
sun girl

sun girl

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 7:02 pm

Zadzi did say it was an irrational hate. But I'm afraid I agree about Brill, I think she's just kind of lacking in personality.
Back to top Go down
kathleen3.0

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 7:16 pm

HDU ALL? (ง’̀-‘́)ง
Back to top Go down
Outlier

Outlier

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 7:22 pm

Is it wrong that this:
12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 Img_2011

makes me think of this?
12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 Img_2012

Back to top Go down
kathleen3.0

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 7:28 pm

Cheese and crackers, Outlier!
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 8:24 pm

I guess it is irrational, as Sun girl says....
Yes, she's very sweet, but I have found her rather milquetoast. Tyleet is very sweet, even naive, but I didn't find her bland. It's true though, she is lacking in personality, really the way several of the Wavedancers are. It's so weird to think how even the most peripheral Go Backs (before FQ) really stood out, like Yif, Vok, Mardu, Chot, etc... Wavedancers never really got that treatment from Wendy. I do like Snakeskin, though. And I even liked Surge, even though he was a stubborn jerk.

Back to top Go down
sun girl

sun girl

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 EmptyFri Nov 27, 2015 9:18 pm

Sorry Kathleen, we all love and hate different peeps, so it goes Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #12   12 - Final Quest #12 - Page 21 Empty

Back to top Go down

Final Quest #12
Page 21 of 28Go to page : Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 24 ... 28  Next