Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Final Quest #14

Go down 
+34
PCoquelin
IceTooth
howler monkey
wingthing
manga
Nightsea
Lurks
ErinC1978
Davrille
jaRf
Redhead Ember
Twopaw
Shadowpath
faeriegirl
Wisp
Zadzi
Miss Gillespie
Miscellaneous
sun girl
Trollbabe
Embala
kathleen3.0
KR Wordgazer
Sifra
Lunakat
Outlier
Startear
Arthis
TrollHammer
Tymber
Stargazer
Multi-Facets
Vaeri
Kaza999
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17 ... 26  Next
AuthorMessage
kathleen3.0

kathleen3.0

Final Quest #14 - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 12:13 am

Maybe that's why the Go Backs were called to the Palace. Just in case they reproduced enough to have an environmental effect.
Back to top Go down
ErinC1978

ErinC1978

Sagittarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 12:23 am

kathleen3.0 wrote:
Maybe that's why the Go Backs were called to the Palace. Just in case they reproduced enough to have an environmental effect.

Haha, I like that idea!
Back to top Go down
Lurks

Lurks

Aquarius Rat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 12:39 am

Zadzi wrote:
This is random - well, maybe not so random, because kathleen's post sort of got me thinking in this direction -  but I've honestly never understood the whole 'worlds die' or whatever conflict. I realize the WoTM will eventually die, but do they know when or something? It's never felt like there was any kind of urgency - yes, maybe the planet will die eventually....and there are those who are immortal, after all....but, really, why hasn't there been more exploration of other planets shown as an option for settlement? As it stands now, the whole thing is so weird, because there's this weird sense of those elves that are just 'attached' to the WoTM, while others are in favor of going somewhere else, but the where is not discussed. It sounds like they just want to do some Star Trek style exploration using the palace as the enterprise but never really stop anywhere to live. Hell, even the enterprise had a base, though. So I just don't get it.
I mean, doesn't it make sense to go out and explore the solar system first, maybe some elves go in the palace and find other places that are desirable, come back, and maybe like Sunstream can do a big old open sending to everyone and go, Ok, we have the following options, and just let them decide individually if they want to come along or not?
The whole thing has just always felt just very abstract to me. When Winnowill wanted to do it, I was thinking it was a crazy plan not just because she was a genocidal jackass, but because, like, Where the hell did she even want to go? Was there an actual place? And what about now? They've had the palace such a long time and it only sounds like they've taken it out a few times for a joyride and that's it.

So I guess I'm confused about this theme which is supposed to be important but is still really vague. Does anyone know exactly what is going on with this ongoing issue at all?

Well with Winnowill she didn't actually want to go to any place in particular. Her main idea was laid out in Seige: She was planning on having the palace call out to and force all the "pureblooded" elves to gather inside, use their united magic to destroy the Wolfriders and every trace of evidence of the High One's "mistake", and then take off into space with everyone all safe in wrapstuff and only being able to explore other worlds "in dreams", with only her being awake and alive to ensure that nothing ever happens to them.

Essentially, she just wanted to wander in space forever with all the other elves helpless in stasis, never dying.

http://elfquest.com/read/index.php?s=SABM/SABM07&p=27
http://elfquest.com/read/index.php?s=SABM/SABM07&p=28

Regarding the dilemma in Final Quest, though, it's more about humans becoming too numerous and advanced and very much out for the elves' blood. In their minds, it's become a problem in that they feel that soon they'll never get a moment's peace because humans will be finding them and chasing them off wherever in the world they go. It'll be a constant struggle for them, especially with their low reproduction rate, to survive as a species on Abode. But now that the palace is there, there's the ability to go to the stars to explore, find their lost kin out in the universe, or colonize somewhere else or what-the-fuck-ever.

So it's not so much an urgency to explore as it's about humanity starting to close in on the elves everywhere they go on Abode, and the palace being an option for those who want to be free of that kind of struggle or for those who simply want more out of their existence than roughing it on a planet that they never really belonged on in the first place.
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 12:58 am

I don't feel the issue in FQ is the elves feeling pressured by the number of humans after them. It's one psycho bunch that was on another continent and is still hundreds if not thousands of miles away. Yes, there was the attack on Shuna, Bee, Ikopek and Kimo but that happened in the human tribe's territory - I don't get the sense that any of the human tribes there are coming after the elves.
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 4:17 am

The Djun is coming after them-- but that has always seemed a bit far fetched. Crazy dangerous elves a continent away would be cool.

Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 10:35 am

I share Luna's idea about Jink's parentage and the speculation what happened to her, but didn't Wendy basically state, that we will not get to know her history in FiQu? There are not that many issues left (12?) and we still have the "Cutter has to find himself" story arc, and the shrooms, and the Djun and the palace/Abode dilemma to unfold.

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 12:28 pm

I think the elves are going to get off the planet in this story-- right? I alway thought we might learn something about her-- just not her ongoing adventures. But maybe you are right! Maybe we never will. Sad

Last edited by Lunakat on Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnbYyTlz1Tw
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 3:45 pm

Wendy said Jink's story will not be told in the FQ ... leaves the possibility to tell about her birth ...

Final Quest #14 - Page 8 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptyTue Mar 15, 2016 5:25 pm

I think they have to tell the story of Jinx birth- they have to have been planning it. Otherwise why would they introduce her and that mystery?

Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 6:58 am

Got the impression that there'll be some unexplained mysteries

Wisp

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 12:28 pm

I like your prediction of what could happen in terms of Timmain sacrificing herself/dying giving birth to Jink, Skywise dying, and Jink wiping Cutter's memory, Lunakat. I don't think we're going to see anything from the time period of futurequest, but I would be very very surprised if we don't, at minimum, find out who Jink's parents are. We may not see her actual birth though.

I also think it's likely that if Timmain dies, her spirit would merge with Cutter, and if that were to happen, it's possible that he would acquire all her memories and powers. He could probably remove his own wolfblood at that point. He could also shapechange into Timmain (or Timmini). This may sound crazy, but the bodies we've heretofore known as Cutter and Skywise could actually conceive Jink--Cutter could just shapechange into Timminni-form. Thus, when the Cutter-ish figure from Jink talks about "finding his daughter," he might be speaking literally.

I also have a strong suspicion that Skywise is going to die, along with some other member(s) of Cutter's family Since humans will probably be the instrument of death, my bet would be on Ember, although Leetah might be in the line-of-fire too.

In any event, I think that the merger of Cutter and Timmain has to be the endgame thematically. Timmain represents Cutter's higher self. In most New Agey thinking, the goal of the embodied (ego) self is to achieve enlightenment and progress towards total identity with the higher self. The end of Cutter's hero journey is to recognize the "god-principle" in himself, as represented by Timmain. He's already been told that he is god--now he just needs to come to terms with it and embrace it.

As for the world dying issue, I agree that the issue is that the humans are going to move into every habitable corner of the planet because that's what human's do. It might take them a few hundred or a few thousand years. I was actually watching a documentary about first peoples last night, and I was amazed at how quickly (relatively speaking) humans spread out over North and South America. Even if it took the humans 1000 years, that's probably within the lifetime of every elf currently living. Going into space, finding a new world somewhere else, those are the only viable options, because the humans will always outnumber the elves, and peaceful coexistence just doesn't seem to be a viable option.
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptyThu Mar 17, 2016 3:04 pm

Gosh- your comments are always so thoughtful, Wisp. I love reading them. Yes, I pretty much agree with this. Wendy did say, in the interview episode of David's podcast, that what you said about the endgame is pretty much her intention. It would be kind of cool if Timmain died, but merged with Cutter-- and the he decided to fulfil Skywise's desire for a baby by morphing into Timmain for him. Weird-- but cool. That would actually be in character for Cutter. And if Jink did mindwipe Timmain of her Cutter self-- I could see how she might say that Jink had erased the best part of her. She seems to have respect for Cutter and everything he represents. Anyhow-- speculate on, y'all!

Nightsea

Nightsea

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 4:59 pm

OK...BIG SPOILER WARNING>..even if Wendy only says "mild spoiler"....I think the last line of this review is a big Spoiler...but read it at your own risk, you have been warned, etc. etc.

SPOILER....

I have not read the issue yet myself so I'm not really the one spoiling anything...

but...

scroll past this post if you don't wanna hint...

Last Chance to Skip It

Ahem. The curious crowd should follow this link:

http://multiverse-magazine.com/2016/03/review-elfquest-14-dark-horse-comics/

Now as for the prior discussion...esp. this bit:
Shadowpath wrote:
Multi-Facets wrote:
I never got the impression Timmain recognized Cutter, either. I got the impression she recognized Petalwing.
I second that. (I always assumed this was her?)
Final Quest #14 - Page 8 Timmai10

I always thought the wolf with the startled expression was Timmain because the eyes are yellow around the iris...which is often how Timmain looks in elf or wolf form when we can see her eye colors.  Yes, she sees the preserver and goes..."oh yeah, I remember those!" And if you look at preservers....they have no white in their eyes either.

Her possible thought process on being planet side or Palace-in-Space immortal was an interesting read and I can see it as one logical interpretation.  I'm thinking now especially, that Cutter's body dies...he merges souls with the Big T and they can sometimes shape change into his old form from then on when daughter hunting or whatnot.

I've got my kleenex ready and hope not to sob on top of my birthday cake next Wed.
--Nightsea
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 7:11 pm

S
P
O
I
L
E
R

S
P
A
C
E

Prediction: Since Wendy has been delighting in tearing apart the relationships we've watched go through so much already, Redlance will Recognize a FunGal and choose to become one of the plant people, thus making a literal return to the green. And causing many of us to shed tears.
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 7:49 pm

That would be awesome. I have no idea wtf going back to the green means. It sounds like someone is getting back into golf.

Final Quest #14 - Page 8 Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 7:57 pm

I'm pretty sure it's a reference to returning to the earth, in this case meant possibly as a euphemism for death and/or becoming one with nature.
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 7:59 pm

Yeah, I figured, but it still sounds like a mowed lawn lol.

Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 8:03 pm

Good prediction, Manga

Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 8:28 pm

I wonder if it's Treestump. Maybe the bad guys attack the Holt or something.

Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 8:50 pm

If it's a well-loved character, there's a long list. I'm curious if it's someone within the search party or back at the holt. My feeling is Treestump or Pike. I'm strongly leaning toward Pike, however, because Treestump's death would feel like a huge blow to Clearbrook....a second lifemate dying seems to go against EQ pain distribution.
Shall we do a process of elimination?
Who is safe? Rayek/Winnowill, the Wave Dancers since I don't think they mean algae in returning to the green, Suntop, Mender and Dart (too soon), Moonshade, Savah, Suntoucher, Timmain, maybe Venka since she's not from the green (Sun Villager and Go-Back), Scouter (I'm just not feeling it), Ember/Tier (because their recognition issue is on hold and I don't feel they'll be killed off before it is), Pool and Sust (too marginal), and Treestump (for the reasons I mentioned in the beginning).

Who isn't safe imo:

Pike, Dewshine, Tyleet, maybe Clearbrook, and any of those searching for Cutter, except Dr. Dre....which would make the death even more tragic. Nightfall/Redlance, Leetah, or Skywise dying would be especially sad. Maybe one of their deaths is what brings Cutter out of his cray cray state.

If not, I am still banking on Pike. That would actually make me saddest, because Pike has grown into such an awesome character.

Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 9:06 pm

Pike makes sense. I could see him referring to death that way.

manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptySat Mar 19, 2016 10:06 pm

I think Clearbrook would be safe for the same reasons as Treestump. It's his second lifemating too.

I could see Pike... Except anyone who returns to the Palace can hardly be said to be returning to the green and with both his lifemate there, I don't see him choosing to stay on the WoTM.

Though I'm thinking that if anyone dies, it will have to be a Wolfrider as they're the only ones who can choose anything BUT the Palace.

Which makes no sense to me anymore. Why should the easily removable wolf DNA have any effect on the spirit?
Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptySun Mar 20, 2016 12:09 am

I'm casting a prediction for Redlance. "Return to the green" sounds like something that would apply to him.

But considering how Wendy seems to delight in causing Pike (and more importantly his fans) heartbreak, maybe she's decided on a mercy killing. It would not surprise me at all if she decided "Well, the dreamberry gag has gotten old, and ive already killed off BOTH his lifemates (so much for pain distribution) and one cub and it hasn't changed him much... let's finish this winnowing of the family tree!"
Back to top Go down
Outlier

Outlier

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptySun Mar 20, 2016 12:43 am

I think if somebody bites it, it's gotta be Moonshade. She just chose immortality. Might as well put a target on her. It should happen in the palace, too, since she thought Abode was too dangerous.

No, it will happen some violent way, proving her point and convincing Strongbow that she was right and they need to get everyone on the Palace and out of there.

If not her, then Timmain, so the split soul can be reunited in Cutter, or Leetah, since she just declared she wants to stay on Abode forever with Cutter.

Well, Venka would be a good choice, too. If Winnowill somehow causes her demise, that would ensure that Rayek never goes near any other elves again.

Final Quest #14 - Page 8 12010412
Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 EmptySun Mar 20, 2016 1:07 am

I never thought I'd say this, but I would be so pissed if Moonshade dies immediately. I agree shes almost certainly doomed in the long run, but to kill her off right after the split with Strongbow would read so strongly as "punishment" for breaking his heart.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 8 Empty

Back to top Go down

Final Quest #14
Page 8 of 26Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 17 ... 26  Next