Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Final Quest #14

Go down 
+34
PCoquelin
IceTooth
howler monkey
wingthing
manga
Nightsea
Lurks
ErinC1978
Davrille
jaRf
Redhead Ember
Twopaw
Shadowpath
faeriegirl
Wisp
Zadzi
Miss Gillespie
Miscellaneous
sun girl
Trollbabe
Embala
kathleen3.0
KR Wordgazer
Sifra
Lunakat
Outlier
Startear
Arthis
TrollHammer
Tymber
Stargazer
Multi-Facets
Vaeri
Kaza999
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21 ... 26  Next
AuthorMessage
wingthing

wingthing

15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptySun Mar 27, 2016 6:51 pm

Maybe... to spirits a burnt out cinder orbiting what has become a white dwarf is really appealing? When you don't have to eat or drink or breathe I suppose it could be pretty cool... if monotonous. Don't see what living elves would get out of it, though. Unless the Word of Retcon will announce the Home star is just fine and the home planet has had time to regenerate into a verdant new Eden. Oy.
Back to top Go down
kathleen3.0

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptySun Mar 27, 2016 6:53 pm

Don't, please. I'm already on the verge of quitting, this will push me over the edge.
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptySun Mar 27, 2016 7:42 pm

wingthing wrote:
Maybe... to spirits a burnt out cinder orbiting what has become a white dwarf is really appealing? 
That makes them sound like the C'Tan from warhammer.

15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 Tumblr_oizli2hnXr1sda8vao1_1280
'We're all broken, in different ways, in varying degrees.'
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 10:30 am

What are those creatures going to do to Cutter? Cutter Growl

As for the issue of going back to the destroyed homestar; I always just got the impression that they never realised exactly what it has been destroyed meant.

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 12:50 pm

@Redhead Ember-- yes, but surely Timmain knows! She was part of the original crew that left in the first place.

Hmm. i think the fungalinos are waiting for Cutter to die so that they can eat him. The good red stuff they kept talking about is his blood- right? But they have to wait for him to get "completely still"-- ie, dead and lacking all bodily function. I think what they are going to do is sit on him until the rescue party shows up-- then resist giving over "the shape" to any four leggers... until either Redlance or Dr. Dre uses some magic to fix the situation and communicate with them.

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 1:11 pm

Well... she seems very much into letting people realise things on their own. That... or by restoring the Star Home they meant just that; restoring a home among the stars, aka the Palace as a travel shell once again.

As for what they're gonna do with Cutter... for a sec I thought they were gonna "fix him" by retifying his pesty four-limbedness, ie; make him one of them...

Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 3:09 pm

I, for one, will be rather disappointed if no one even TRIES stellar-forming and terra-forming a new Star Home. With pyro-kinetics, telekinetics and terra-kinetics and all the other bags of tricks they have, plus the "oomph" of all the other spririts, it seems they ought to be able to manage something. Go back and push the stuff in the old system around until it crashes together and makes a new nebula. You can't say they don't have the time!
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 4:08 pm

@Manga! Good point-- that would be cool!

@Redhead-- eek! That would be creepy!

Hmm- yes I guess it would make sense if the 'star home' was just the ship in space.

PCoquelin

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 5:11 pm

Just got and read my copy and... it was a quick but STRANGE read !
What astonished me the most was Cutter's attitude when faced to his 'identity crisis', in fact.
Among all the wolfriders, HE is the one that seemed to me the LESS prone to react in such a way, from what I understood of that character !
Looks like I was dead wrong about him, but, this time, it displeases me much.

The whole plot smells BAD...
Like a VOLUNTARY MOVE by Timmain, in my opinion, intended to trigger EXACTLY that awful effect, on him ! Be it a lie or the truth, that "same soul but different bodies" tale... it looks like she wanted his mind to be shattered.

Now... IF it's the truth, it MIGHT make grim sense, doing that, pushing Cutter towards a suicide course, because... Cutter's death might allow Timmain to get back a lot of HER own identity BACK, in fact.

But... it may take MUCH time for getting to that result, and it may also be a sign that the main crisis approaches ( plot theory ), which may in fact... SAVE Cutter, eventually.

Only one word sums it all up...

PUCKERNUTS!

15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 Banner      
Back to top Go down
PCoquelin

PCoquelin

Pisces Monkey

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 5:30 pm

Thinking again about it, there IS one thing that seems to indicate that this "soul sharing" process might be true and even WIDER than previously thought...
The 'coneheads' that shapechanged themeselves into that 'elf' form were FEW... and even fewer survived the humans and the odds, after the landing. HENCE... with births coming and the amount of elves ( and their various descendants ) rising, their souls just HAD to be shared in more and more and even more bodies.
"Soul names" would then be only tiny PARTS of some more complex identities.

As for the "tree elves".. I guess they FEEL their ancestor's presence, I mean Timmain's presence, in Cutter... and react accordingly : they hope to recapture her essence in them when he finally dies.

Grim. Grimmer and grimmer...

15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 P70_CompleteSelfShaping_Plant_HighOne

15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 Banner      
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 7:46 pm

*Sigh* I hope Timmain isn't their ancestor. It's starting to sound like she the was the only female that could breed at this point.

Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 8:24 pm

Lunakat wrote:

Hmm- yes I guess it would make sense if the 'star home' was just the ship in space.

It seems that 'star home" can mean either the Palace in its Starship Enterprise form or the ancestral home world, depending on who is talking. Which is very annoying. And now Cutter is rhyming (rapping? Disney power-ballading? ) about the Homestar. Same thing? Is it Palace if "star" comes first and actual planet or solar system if "home" comes first?

The elfin vocabulary could stand to be a bit less poetic and a bit more specific.
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 9:24 pm

Timmain cannot be their ancestor. No. She isn't Savah's literal mother either. That had to be a figure of speech. I think she was probably just one of a handful of elves that still had shape-changing abilities. They scattered in groups-- right? So her group didn't have much power left. She was the shapechanger-- someone else was probably the healer, someone was a timekeeper. Other groups seem to have had a plethora of certain talents. The Gliders were generally stone shapers. The Wavedancers seem to have a lot of healers. This group just seems to have had (or bred) self shapers-- or maybe plant shapers. Or... maybe it's all the same thing-- and it's just what aspect of the gift someone has a talent for or cultivates. It's all shaping after all-- right? Shaping and levitation.

Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 9:25 pm

[quote="wingthing"]
Lunakat wrote:

It seems that 'star home" can mean either the Palace in its Starship Enterprise form or the ancestral home world, depending on who is talking. Which is very annoying. And now Cutter is rhyming (rapping? Disney power-ballading? ) about the Homestar. Same thing? Is it Palace if "star" comes first and actual planet or solar system if "home" comes first?

The elfin vocabulary could stand to be a bit less poetic and a bit more specific.

Cutter needs to keep his day job. If elfin vocabulary were less poetic and more specific-- that would mean I'd have accept Timmain as Savah's mother-- and I flatly refuse to do that.

manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 10:37 pm

Savah's mother was Hasbet. No worries on that score! Savah definitely meant it in the broader sense.
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 1:47 am

Timmain is the mother of all plot problems at this point, as far as I'm concerned.

15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 3:20 am

And you win the internet today, my friend. cheers
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:06 am

I have wondered if the problem with Timmain is that she is missing her "Lower Self." Maybe she seems like an incomplete character because she truly is incomplete.
Back to top Go down
Sifra

Sifra

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 8:17 am

Zadzi wrote:
Timmain is the mother of all plot problems at this point, as far as I'm concerned.

Laughing

15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 Dart_kimo_banner_by_janaweijers-db45ba7
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 12:14 pm

I'm pretty sure Timmain isn't the mother - in any sense - of those... things! She most definitely wasn't the only one who could breed, Gibra had a child too; Vol.

About the fungy-thingies; they confuse me. Don't they know they're elves? Or do they somewhat know, but they don't want to know? They say the Call brings them back to how things used to be.
When? For how long have they been like this? Is this something that has happened over generations, with more and more flesh-shaping happening for each generation? Or are these creatures the firstcomers, or very early generations after that?
However, one thing I don't believe about them is that they're part-plant. They're 100% completely normal pureblooded elves, just a bit... odd-looking.

Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 12:46 pm

I can imagine another concept. They are Spirits. No "elfin" or Conhead flesh at all.
They used a giant fungus structure to inhabite it like other spirits went to the Palace (or maybe to the Fathertree). When they have whatever reason to take "elfin" shape they grow her bodies like mushrooms - and use tree substance to stabilize their form like a skeleton.

Or Redhead is right - they are still "alive" in body. But their flesh has shaped into and adepted the functionality of mycelium. Again they grow/reshape elflike body in case there is need to do so - or when they are forced to do so.
And the fungus-lady has boobs because that's the shape she remembers and was used to. The template.

And I think they are not interested to return to the Palace - less sprout humanoid bodies again - because they have fully adepted to Abodean life. They have a body which is hard to destroy completely, they have a regular nutrition and they have their hive mind. Compared to them Timmain's attemt to connect her children to this world by injecting wolf blood was just a crutch.

15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.

Last edited by Embala on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Bluetree

Bluetree

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 6:41 pm

Zadzi wrote:

Agreed! I've never warmed up to her-- she's always acting all powerful-mysterious or peacing out (physically or mentally) at crucial moments. It seems like the elves consider such behavior hallmarks of wisdom, but even here in California, we just call such people "flakes". Laughing

Redhead Ember wrote:

However, one thing I don't believe about them is that they're part-plant. They're 100% completely normal pureblooded elves, just a bit... odd-looking.

Right, the same way the Wavedancers aren't part fish, despite features like scales and fins.

Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 1:42 am

Oh how I miss CA flakiness (not) Razz
But yes, you pegged it, Bluetree ...it's like Timmain is a parody of herself or something. I think it's like the elves have their own version of religion and it's all very new and they are recent converts.... they criticize humans belief system but theirs is all out of whack also, and totally primitive.
On the other hand, humans belief system is always about killing off elves in the EQ and FQ. So no wonder there's a conflict. However, it kind of annoys me also because it seems so obvious that human religion and attitude has stayed stagnant. It makes people a very obvious problem but it also makes them a predictable villain without much imagination. What were to happen if there were more groups (actual populations) of people on WoTM like Shuna and Lerigen (sp?)? What would happen if there was more obvious diversity reflected? That there isn't keeps things really dull. The humans are a boring, ongoing problem which has kept the storytelling fairly one dimensional and predictable.

Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 5:49 pm

Honestly, the more screen time Timmain has, the less I like her. Her 'lesson of pain' has me worried she'll actively stop the other elves from helping any new group from getting massacred by humans.

Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 8:42 pm

I still expect her to wield a cat o nine tails and wear a bunch of black leather every time she talks about her damn 'Lesson of Pain'.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   15 - Final Quest #14 - Page 16 Empty

Back to top Go down

Final Quest #14
Page 16 of 26Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21 ... 26  Next