Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Final Quest #14

Go down 
+34
PCoquelin
IceTooth
howler monkey
wingthing
manga
Nightsea
Lurks
ErinC1978
Davrille
jaRf
Redhead Ember
Twopaw
Shadowpath
faeriegirl
Wisp
Zadzi
Miss Gillespie
Miscellaneous
sun girl
Trollbabe
Embala
kathleen3.0
KR Wordgazer
Sifra
Lunakat
Outlier
Startear
Arthis
TrollHammer
Tymber
Stargazer
Multi-Facets
Vaeri
Kaza999
38 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 26  Next
AuthorMessage
Arthis

Arthis

Capricorn Dragon

Final Quest #14 - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptyThu Jan 14, 2016 1:07 pm

According to the official site (http://elfquest.com/woodelves/) "They are elves, descendants of the original Firstcomers. (This is, after all, still Elfquest, not Ent-quest or Dryad-quest or Heap-quest or Swamp-Thing-quest.)"
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 15, 2016 7:27 am

manga wrote:
Except the Fung-ky Ones have been hearing the Palace Call. It's an interesting idea that they're not elves, but I'm not sure it pans out.

That's kinda what I meant... Wendy might have been all Don't call them 'Tree Elves', call the 'Fungus Animungus' sneakily trying to trick us into thinking that maybe they aren't elves... because she's evil! It was even confirmed during the Halfway Mark Podcast.

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Startear

Startear

Aquarius Goat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 11:24 am

You know, I don't mind the squiggly lines on the fung-guys. I think it makes it look more stylized and artsy, my problem lies more with how I can't tell where their arms and legs are.

Final Quest #14 - Page 4 Ba_a_f10

Thanks to Embala for the lovely banner! The quote belongs to Scooter.
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 11:26 am

They are gone. Rotten. Fallen off.

Final Quest #14 - Page 4 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
Startear

Startear

Aquarius Goat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptySun Jan 17, 2016 11:39 am

Of course. Pike Rolling

Final Quest #14 - Page 4 Ba_a_f10

Thanks to Embala for the lovely banner! The quote belongs to Scooter.
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptyMon Jan 18, 2016 8:18 pm

When they first appeared in FQ, I also assumed they were Tree Elves. But reading the quote about fungus, I recall Elfmom drew a trio of pictures showing fairy maidens representing flora. fauna and fungus (mycota.) The "fairy ring" is the marginal manifestation of an underground fungus, so maybe all the fun-guys are connected. I hope their spores don't cause allergic reactions.

As a Troll, I can't restrain myself from editorializing. (Editors and Trolls are, after all, practically the same species.) Queen Oddbit, not the most profound among us, made that famous remark about living underground like sensible people. Maybe some Elves finally took her advice? And I do find them more attractive than those pale pink Wolfriders.

As far as the myth of tree people, I agree Tolkien's Ents and Lewis' dryads are hardly original. Tree spirits go back to ancient Greece, maybe Native American folklore as well. I believe they are the origin of the "knock on wood" superstition. In Mark 8:24, a man who regains his sight describes people who look like walking trees. Those who write fiction should accept that a writer's palette consists of the same colors used by humanity for thousands of years.

Final Quest #14 - Page 4 Ba_tro10
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 12:12 am

Well, Fungi are something in between plant and animal-- so it kind of makes sense.

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 12:27 am

Startear wrote:
You know, I don't mind the squiggly lines on the fung-guys. I think it makes it look more stylized and artsy, my problem lies more with how I can't tell where their arms and legs are.

Maybe that's intentional.
If you can't tell where there arms and legs are, you can't see them.
If you can't see their arms and legs, you don't know they have arms and legs.
If you don't know they have arms and legs, you most likely won't realise they're... well... (more or less) human shaped.

Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 9:39 am

yeah- I don't mind the arms and legs things either

Wisp

Wisp

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptyTue Jan 19, 2016 1:19 pm

I think it's pretty neat that the design of these elves has moved in a non-tree direction. Very fresh. We've seen before that when really powerful self-shapers take on a new form, they sometimes alter their own consciousness as well as their appearance. Timmain lost herself in the wolf form for thousands of years. If this community of elves took on the form of fungus or lichen, and if they are powerful telepaths as well as shapeshifters (which seems possible, why not?) they may have a a relatively undifferentiated group consciousness or plant/fungal consciousness. Their lack of physical distinctiveness may reflect this. Perhaps that's also why the palace's call is a "nuisance"--it's too foreign to their normal brainpattern.
Back to top Go down
Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 3:10 pm

Wisp wrote:
If this community of elves took on the form of fungus or lichen, and if they are powerful telepaths as well as shapeshifters (which seems possible, why not?) they may have a a relatively undifferentiated group consciousness or plant/fungal consciousness.

Something in the podcast is leading me to your idea: Wendy says " We used to think that Cutter greatest fear were heights..." then she implies that we're going to meet is new biggest fear when we meet those Fung-guys. But he's already terrified, and as I read it he's afraid of loosing his sense of self. So, if this is the fear Wendy is talking about (it may not be), I can see how it would lead to them having a different sense of self. I'm going for a hive mind, a collective self, but that's because it's one of my biggest fears. I don't know what else it could be. Soulless mushrooms?
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptyFri Jan 22, 2016 3:17 pm

Had this and some more thoughts dropped on the previous page:

Embala wrote:
Years ago I've learned the largest living organism on Earth is the Oregon honey mushroom ...

... and now Wendy Pini tells us: Call them Fungus Amungus!

What if ... a group of Firstcomes managed to hide from the WoTMs by becoming an integral part of this world? Can it be that they had magic users who discovered a mushroom organism underground and found a way to merge with it? Try to imagine ...

The elfin spirits live within this spreading organism, both hiding and thriving. These aliens would not have a problem to share a body - a hive mind is familiar to them anyway.

After 20 millennia they would not be interested in the Palace too much. The WoTMs is literally their home soil. And it functions similar as the Palace and/or the spirit sphere.
They are not able to travel to the Palace because their "body" is part of Abode's nature.
There is no need to do so because there are no immediate life threatening dangers. Fire, flood, change in environment and climate would not be able to kill the whole organism easily. In case the "elves" kept some specific magic to grant necessary adeptions this mycelium can live forever.

It would even fit with WP's remark that we might not see those new elves at all. You can walk over them and wouldn't notice!

So who are the FungGuys we've seen?

Then and now the fungus sprouts fruit bodies - visible mushrooms. Maybe they are individual spirits who "visit" the world above for whatever reason (possible reproduction included?). The fungus infects young trees, influences their growth to develope elfin shapes (because that's how they remember/envision themselves) and the spirits temporarily live as such a tree-fungus organism (first encounter).

As it is the nature of a fungus to consume its host the tree structure will die and rot more or less soon while the spirits still control the fungus part - the TreeZombies (state on the #14 cover).

When the tree structure is completely devoured the spirits simply return in the mycelium.

What do you think? Is there a possibility it could work similar like this?

Final Quest #14 - Page 4 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
KR Wordgazer

KR Wordgazer

Scorpio Cat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 12:41 am

I love the emotion in the cover picture and think it's a beautiful expression of compassion.  I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be Cutter who finds more elves; after all, he is still the main character. And after all, it wasn't he who found the Wavedancers; that was Sunstream!

I didn't even notice the fungus-elf's breasts until everyone started criticizing them; I only registered that she was female.  It makes sense, though, that since she has them, these are not "tree" elves-- they must be mamalian, suckling their young just like other elves do.  

I can understand the irritation at what Wendy Pini said.  "Hey, these aren't Tolkienesque tree elves, folks," would have been fine.  But "stop calling them that right now!" sounds-- well, parental.  Adult fans are not likely to appreciate being treated like naughty children. This includes me.  Maybe she has been taking this "Elf Mom" role a little too seriously?

But I like the idea of these elves, and love the picture of this one caring for the devastated Cutter.  My only real problem remains with the reason why he's so devastated.  I cannot like this shared-soul business, and having more time to get used to the idea hasn't helped me accept it any better.

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 1:02 am

Maybe we're not really supposed to like it.
Maybe we're supposed to feel the way Cutter does about it.

One thing I've been wondering about lately is where those Fungy-guys are located.
When they were first shown in issue 8 it wasn't actually clear if they were above-ground.
After Cutter ran away the Wolfriders speculated if he'd gone to the old troll tunnels.
Richard, in the Halfway Mark podcast said they'd make an all-black issue
Are they underground?

Back to top Go down
Outlier

Outlier

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 12:21 pm

@Wordgazer's comment - I think having appendages that look like breasts doesn't necessarily imply the creatures are mammalian. Just because they have them doesn't mean they are functional. It may just be a genetic remnant like a vestigial tail. Or if they are shape-shifters it may just be decorative, or be thier self-image. Or, if they are kind, it may be the form they have taken knowing it is familiar to Cutter. (And the female does look sympathetic. I can't decide if the guy in front is expressing surprise or dismay, or about to take a bite out of Cutter.)

But this did get me thinking. It seems like it wouldn't be too hard for Timmain to take the form of a wolf or a bird, because the basic anatomy is the same (lungs, stomach, heart) so I could imagine that the change was mostly in appearance. But to turn into a mushroom, or a tree, assuming that it was more than just camoflage, seems like it would require such a change on the cellular level, it's hard for me to imagine.

Although, thinking about it more, maybe it would be easier to make all her cells suddenly turn rigid and woody than it would be to suddenly grow hair or feathers. Hmmm.

We did see her as a tree, though. I'm tempted to speculate that when Timmain transformed into a tree, she accidently transfered some genetic material that evolved into the mossy elves. Except that would violate the rule they made that Timmorn was a one-time only species crossbreed (ignoring the existance of Two-Edge), and the fact that under no circumstances is anyone supposed to have interpretations of any EQ story that is not the one that the Pini's intended.

Final Quest #14 - Page 4 12010412
Back to top Go down
Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 4:41 pm

Fungus is very similar to animal life-- sort of a midway thing between a plant and an animal. They could just have fungus growing all over them and maybe they melded with it.

Lunakat

Lunakat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 4:47 pm

It doesn't bother me, btw, that Cutter is the or who discovers a new tribe of elves again. That's fine by me. What bothered me, story wise, was that there was all this build up over the course of several story arcs about how Sunstream was training his whole adult life to be the "link"-- then, in what is presented as a climactic moment, he finally assumes this role and contacts every elf on the planet-- and finds four individuals... one of whom is dead, two of whom we never meet becUse they are in wrap stuff, and the other who we already know. Meanwhile, Cutter wanders blindly into the woods and apparently falls on a whole new tribe. Like... really? What was the point of Sinstream?

kathleen3.0

kathleen3.0

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 4:50 pm

Lunakat wrote:
Fungus is very similar to animal life-- sort of a midway thing between a plant and an animal. They could just have fungus growing all over them and maybe they melded with it.

Aaaaaaaand that's my nightmare for tonight.
Back to top Go down
Sifra

Sifra

PostSubject: Q    Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 5:28 pm

Redhead Ember wrote:
They did a pretty good job, then.

Redhead Ember wrote:
One thing I've been wondering about lately is where those Fungy-guys are located.
When they were first shown in issue 8 it wasn't actually clear if they were above-ground.
After Cutter ran away the Wolfriders speculated if he'd gone to the old troll tunnels.
Richard, in the Halfway Mark podcast said they'd make an all-black issue
Are they underground?
I'm looking forward to an all black issue.

Lunakat wrote:
It doesn't bother me, btw, that Cutter is the or who discovers a new tribe of elves again. That's fine by me. What bothered me, story wise, was that there was all this build up over the course of several story arcs about how Sunstream was training his whole adult life to be the "link"-- then, in what is presented as a climactic moment, he finally assumes this role and contacts every elf on the planet-- and finds four individuals... one of whom is dead, two of whom we never meet becUse they are in wrap stuff, and the other who we already know. Meanwhile, Cutter wanders blindly into the woods and apparently falls on a whole new tribe. Like... really? What was the point of Sinstream?
I don't get the part about Sunstream, either. It feels to me like the story bounces this way and that, and they just can't decide where to go with it.
I would have liked for it to be Sunstreams moment. As long as it doesn't involve him transforming into that ugly fish shape again. Razz

Final Quest #14 - Page 4 Dart_kimo_banner_by_janaweijers-db45ba7
Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 6:02 pm

Sifra wrote:
Redhead Ember wrote:
They did a pretty good job, then.

Wink Heehee, indeed.

Also, all this talk of mushrooms is making me crave spring and summer so I can get a big ol' bag of chanterelles and sauté them in butter, with a little fresh thyme.... Smile

Final Quest #14 - Page 4 Ba_zad10
Back to top Go down
Sifra

Sifra

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 6:28 pm

Zadzi wrote:

Also, all this talk of mushrooms is making me crave spring and summer so I can get a big ol' bag of chanterelles and sauté them in butter, with a little fresh thyme.... Smile

Laughing Nooo you'll scare the poor fung guys off!
Now I have a picture in my head of Cutter who doesn't realise he's found a new elf tribe and tries to make soup out of them...

Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 6:49 pm

Sifra wrote:
Zadzi wrote:

Laughing Nooo you'll scare the poor fung guys off!
Now I have a picture in my head of Cutter who doesn't realise he's found a new elf tribe and tries to make soup out of them...

I would pay to see that lol. Maybe Tier can join him and tell him what kind of additional seasonings to use (I remember Tier giving Tyleet pointers of how to make soup during Wildhunt).

Back to top Go down
Sifra

Sifra

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 7:02 pm

I was working on it as you wrote that post, Zadzi. I added Teir immediatly.

Final Quest #14 - Page 4 Cutter_and_the_fung_guys_by_janaweijers-d9p1vex

Back to top Go down
Zadzi

Zadzi

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 7:06 pm

Sifra wrote:
I was working on it as you wrote that post, Zadzi. I added Teir immediatly.

Final Quest #14 - Page 4 Cutter_and_the_fung_guys_by_janaweijers-d9p1vex

OMG Laughing rofl rofl rofl
Ok, where do I send payment ? You just made my night, Sifra!

Back to top Go down
Sifra

Sifra

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 EmptySat Jan 23, 2016 7:08 pm

I'm glad to be appreciated. Smile

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #14   Final Quest #14 - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Final Quest #14
Page 4 of 26Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15 ... 26  Next