Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...

Go down 
+18
Yeee
Davrille
Prayer
Tymber
Embala
Shadowpath
Startear
Redhead Ember
TrollHammer
Kindredsoul
Kojiyumi
faeriegirl
Fairyring
Outlier
Vaeri
Nightsea
Wiseshaman
Tenderfoot
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next
AuthorMessage
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptyFri Apr 01, 2016 9:07 pm

off topic:

I've made the Easter Egg hunt, Tymber. I've dropped a gift egg for you ... and for Startear. Both of you didn't find time to lurk  enough to notice there is something to look for.
Maybe you too can go on a hunt ... eggs will wait ...

Last edited by Embala on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 12:19 pm

Cake

Yep! That's an element!

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 12:50 pm

makes it three:

A Joke or Prank
doing your best
Cake

Startear

Startear

Aquarius Goat

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 2:55 pm

Room for one more perhaps?

Excitement

Thanks to Embala for the lovely banner! The quote belongs to Scooter.
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 4:22 pm

Redhead Ember wrote:
Cake
I can use that for my big project.  Laughing

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 4:43 pm

Make your "big project part" part of the grab bag!

Last edited by Embala on Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Startear

Startear

Aquarius Goat

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 5:39 pm

Tymber wrote:
This is what I mean by this thread has died. There's only my suggestion and it's officially April.

Embala has gotten quiet over here. Other don't suggest or write.

Tymber, that was rude.

Embala was busy with her annual Easter project. You can find the thread here Go look at it, it's a treasure.

I was busy with school-work, and al-anon.

Shadowpath is working on a huge project.

Sometimes, life and other creative projects just happens to get in the way. In February I was late because the elements I loved was giving me trouble. I have still posted in every thread since December.

And honestly, in your comment you are coming across like you don't care if we post art. That only writing counts. Personally, I'm wondering what is the point of posting my artwork in the threads if my contributions are going to be ignored like that. Despite being told that posting art is A-Ok!

Last edited by Startear on Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 5:39 pm

Tymber wrote:
Other don't suggest or write.
I'm so sorry! I'm scared senseless when it comes to writing. All I can do is draw. Sorry if that isn't high enough for your standards.

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 5:50 pm

Your drawings tell stories, Shadowpath! And your stories are fascinating (just skimming because I lack time ... Sad )

*hugs Startear* Thank you! Very Happy

Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 5:57 pm

Embala wrote:
Your drawings tell stories, Shadowpath! And your stories are fascinating (just skimming because I lack time ... Sad )

*hugs Startear* Thank you! Very Happy
Please don't cry EM! You can skim all you want! You have a lot of things to juggle!

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptySat Apr 02, 2016 6:36 pm

Smile *hugs Shadowpath*

Now we have:

A Joke or Prank
doing your best
Cake
Exitement

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptySun Apr 03, 2016 11:59 pm

Shadowpath wrote:
Tymber wrote:
Other don't suggest or write.
I'm so sorry! I'm scared senseless when it comes to writing. All I can do is draw. Sorry if that isn't high enough for your standards.

Pardon me, I didn't mean to exclude those of you who do art. That was never my intention. I merely said "write" because it's what I do.

There is no "standard" of mine - so I am not sure where that's coming from?

Startear wrote:
Tymber wrote:
This is what I mean by this thread has died. There's only my suggestion and it's officially April.
Embala has gotten quiet over here. Other don't suggest or write.
Tymber, that was rude.

Pardon me, how is my observation rude?

Startear wrote:

Embala was busy with her annual Easter project. You can find the thread here Go look at it, it's a treasure.

Which is awesome! I am not saying that she HAS to do the story thread thing. Merely pointing out, she was one of the very vocal readers, before. If she doesn't want to do it - High Ones, I am not saying she HAS to. It's an observation. Nothing more. Nothing less.

Startear wrote:

I was busy with school-work, and al-anon.

Which is also, absolutely understandable... and while I am at it...

Startear wrote:

Shadowpath is working on a huge project.

Which again, I totally get! I am not blaming anyone saying, "Why aren't you doing it?!?!?" - I am merely pointing out, for whatever the reasons - these threads have tappered off. Whether it's real life. Whether it's a lack of interest. Whether it's whatever. I am simply making a point.

Startear wrote:

Sometimes, life and other creative projects just happens to get in the way. In February I was late because the elements I loved was giving me trouble. I have still posted in every thread since December.

Which I get. I've been doing this since I don't know how long. But last month (March), I didn't. Why? Life got in the way. I will probably eventually get back at it, and do a March submission.

But right now, I have too many things going on in my life, that have drained the creativity out of me.

Which, as I said, I understand if others have this. Or what ever their reasons.

Making an observation, so far as I understand, is not something that's forbidden.

For example...

May 2015: 4 pages of posts... https://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t194-may-grab-bag-stories-poetry-art-etc
June 2015: 3 pages of posts... https://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t194-may-grab-bag-stories-poetry-art-etc
July 2015: 2 pages of posts... https://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t278-grab-bag-july-2015
August 2015: 3 pages of posts... https://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t300-grab-bag-august-2015
September 2015: 1 page of posts... https://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t325-grab-bag-september-2015
October 2015: 1 page of posts... https://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t502-october-2015-grab-bag
November 2015: 1 page of posts... https://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t535-november-2015-grab-bag-stories-poetry-art-etc
December 2015: 1 page of posts... https://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t558-december-grab-bag-2015
Jan 2016: 2 pages of posts... https://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t586-jan-grab-bag-2016
Feb 2016: 1 page of posts... https://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t609-feb-2016-grab-bag-stories-poetry-songs-lyrics-art-etc
March 2016: 1 page of posts... https://fathertreeholt.forumotion.com/t630-march-2016-grab-bag-stories-art-poetry-lyrics-etc

Is it not fair, to make the observation that we declined?

Startear wrote:

And honestly, in your comment you are coming across like you don't care if we post art. That only writing counts. Personally, I'm wondering what is the point of posting my artwork in the threads if my contributions are going to be ignored like that. Despite being told that posting art is A-Ok!

Now you're putting words into my mouth.

Nowhere - absolutely NOWHERE - do I imply that posting art is not welcomed. I did specifically say "write" - because that's what was on my mind when I wrote it, because that's what I do. Art has always been welcomed, and I've never said otherwise. I just mentioned "writing" because it's specific to what I do (or try to do).

As for feeling ignored - trust me, I understand. All of us creative souls have that desire to be acknowledged when we post something. Whether someone likes it, dislikes it, whatever the case may be. Feedback feeds a creative soul.

I, admittedly, hardly ever comment on art, myself. Because I am always amazed by people's art. Artists have an ability I can not do. And whether the art is good or bad, I am always appreciative of it - because I am being shown something I wish I could do. I feel like anyone can write. (Whether that's right or wrong, it's just how I feel). And it's easier to comment on a story, because I can take segments of the story and reply with my thoughts, where as a piece of art is a single piece.

Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 3:52 am

Well, Tymber, you these threads have died comments does come across as a bit harsh. Especially since it was only the first when you posted it. Bit late, yeah, but not as if we'd completely forgotten about it for the entire month.
These threads haven't died, they've merely gone into hibernation. Ahdri

Anyway:

In my exitement I had to do my very best to not prank people by throwing cakes at them.

Don't worry... I'll post a longer piece in the official April Thread as well!

Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 4:11 am

Redhead Ember wrote:
Well, Tymber, you these threads have died comments does come across as a bit harsh. Especially since it was only the first when you posted it

You may wish to look again. My first comment about the threads was on Feb 26th then again on March 4th, in this very thread.

But whatever. As we've all said. Real life and what not.

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 10:43 pm

I understand where you come from, Tymber. I understand your observation about the grag-bags. I've seen  it. Activity is limited. Contributions don't come as a monthly rain tide ... but as small showers and "off season".

Tymber wrote:
Which is awesome! I am not saying that she HAS to do the story thread thing. Merely pointing out, she was one of the very vocal readers, before. If she doesn't want to do it - High Ones, I am not saying she HAS to. It's an observation. Nothing more. Nothing less.
Doesn't want to do it?

High Ones know I WANT. That I've prayed to whatever spirits care that the grab-bags will survive and go on while I do something else. That the few of us who are around actively (with changing extent due to other schedules) will be enough to keep different facets alive in our holt. Long enough to be able to return and add.

Tymber wrote:
Which I get. I've been doing this since I don't know how long. But last month (March), I didn't. Why? Life got in the way. I will probably eventually get back at it, and do a March submission.
High Ones know that I desperately wish you will go on telling the Stonehowl tales. High Ones know that somewhere in my mind sees you and Stonehowl in charge to keep the grab-bags going. A very childlike kind of feeling ...
Because I know nothing different from my start on the SoC.
Because you and Redhead are the troopers here, bringing rain time and forming the grab-bag-river we others can add to and follow.

sssh... Smile I know. I know better. I won't impose this burden on you. I know it is not your "duty" the very moment I give it a sensible thought. I know too well that a single person cannot keep going a community project (sorry, lack of vocabulary) all alone.

I've noticed the absence of Stonehowl in the March thread. Hoped that it was due to time issues (you've added with delay then and now on the SoC) and feared it was because lack of feedback doesn't trigger the muse.
Life got in the way - that's something I understand. An old familiar friend and fiend - real life.
This does not make up for lack of feedback but I want to tell you again that I love Stonehowl and enjoy your writing. (Heck, it's the only ongoing fan tale I do my best to follow!) That's why I truely hope time will meet mood again and Stonehowl will continue. Whenever you feel like it.

Last edited by Embala on Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptyMon Apr 04, 2016 10:44 pm

Addressing no one specific here - and everyone who cares for the grab-bags:

This forum is tiny. We are so few. Many facets mean that there are just a handful with shared interest. It is hard to keep things going in case someone drops out - due to spread interests or real life schedules. It is almost impossible when several members drop out at the same time. No replacement staff to jump in.

No one to blame.

No one "must " contribute. Everyone can - at her/his own time. Could this be a solution? A try?
Going on to gather elements ... open the monthly threads ... and see what will grow with time?
As an offer to add ... not as a task.

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2016 12:57 am

I'd like to formerly apologize.

My attention was never to come across rude. Nor was it ever to make anyone feel excluded (for example, the fact that I left out art). None of that was every my intention.

I suppose my own passion got the best of me. I have loved the Grab Bags since I was first introduced to them back in the original Scroll of Colors. The idea of mentally challenging myself month after month by random selection of suggested elements - and to further challenge myself by trying to make it one ongoing story, was something I found nowhere else. I loved what it did when it came to the new beginning of each month - how I sat down and let those elements tell me the story I had in me to tell.

Seeing them decline - I was not upset. I was... sad. I had, in this thread, tried to encourage other to suggest elements - and to even partake in the grab bag - whether lyrics, poem, art, whatever. Because I love, not only the creativity it inspires in me - but I thrive on seeing that creativity awakened in others. For example, Red's amazing ability to kick out an endless supply of ElfQuest related poems... and those of you who submit art pieces - blow my mind. Whether it's your own original art, or the endless, and amazing assortment of banners that Embala makes - or if she takes one of Red's poems and puts an image to it. I lack that ability to do anything with art. I try. And it's the same "one eyed elf" drawing that I do over and over. I never grew, when it came to doing art. (I even make a joke about my "one eyed elf" art in my web series - takes you right to the joke on Youtube. So I never know what to say when people submit art. I am always amazed. But I feel so cheap just saying, "That's incredible" over and over again.

When it comes to stories, that's where I am far more familiar. So I can actually take pieces of a story and comment on what I liked, or what I could even, at times, suggest. (But really, writers like Trollhammer outshine me by miles - and no, I am not fishing for compliments - I know it's true, so don't argue!) Smile

I miss what the grab bags used to be. And I suppose, in the end, I became sad about what they've become.

I hope folks here can accept my apology if I have offended anyone at all.

May all the shadows be cool, and the water ever so sweet.
- Tymber

faeriegirl

faeriegirl

Leo Snake

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2016 3:21 am

I've been mostly lurking around here the last few months... RL was busy.
But I've read the discussion here....
and want to give everybody a great big HUG Hug Hug cathat

You are all awesome and creative, however that is expressed.

And in a bid to poke my own muse... I want to suggest simply 'love' as an element for next month.
Because I love you all.

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptyTue Apr 05, 2016 4:37 pm

Tymber wrote:
Seeing them decline - I was not upset. I was... sad. I had, in this thread, tried to encourage other to suggest elements - and to even partake in the grab bag - whether lyrics, poem, art, whatever. Because I love, not only the creativity it inspires in me - but I thrive on seeing that creativity awakened in others.
I miss what the grab bags used to be. And I suppose, in the end, I became sad about what they've become.
I can rely to this sadness, Tymber. I felt it myself - for most similar reasons - closing an again and again. I try to shoo it away but sadness ways finds a its way back. I miss the activity we had. And I know this familiar fiend will return again. I miss those who dropped out ... temprarily or forever. And feel sad again.

Tymber wrote:
For example, Red's amazing ability to kick out an endless supply of ElfQuest related poems... and those of you who submit art pieces - blow my mind. Whether it's your own original art, or the endless, and amazing assortment of banners that Embala makes - or if she takes one of Red's poems and puts an image to it.
And like you I see what we have. Nevertheless life is around. Despite out small Holt. Despite our tiny active group. Despite all the real life demands popping up frequently and untimely.

I see Redhead's stubburn eagerness to go on Ember - the fun and inspiration she draws from the grab-bags and passes on to others.
I see how it is able to inspire Shadowpath, triggers new ideas and helps growing artwort . Even when her elves hide shyly in their own thread. jocolor
I see how Startear cautiously stepped in - not sure at first whether art is welcome anxious not to "violate" rules.
I see faeriegirl who tries to find back to her story writing with the help of the grab bags.
I see Nightsea adding to it her own way ... and in her own place.

When I see this I see life. The grab-bags used to be like the Big River near Olbar's tribe ... now they are a river in the Burning Waste. It became small, it dwindles - might even trickle off at times - but on its banks there are spots of fresh green and waterholes for animal life.

The grab-bags have changed. Changed with us. They struggle. But they have not died. There is life and life will stay. I want to believe so.

faeriegirl wrote:
And in a bid to poke my own muse... I want to suggest simply 'love' as an element for next month.
Because I love you all.
This. I love you

Startear

Startear

Aquarius Goat

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptySat Apr 09, 2016 5:08 pm

Thank you, Tymber.

I need to apologize too. I came across as angrier than I actually felt. For me it wasn't just because I was starting to feel like the lack of comments were getting on me. I was more angry about how I felt that the bouts of creativity that I and others weren't counted. When you then left out art, it just made me incredibly resentful. Not only because I was already feeling ignored, but because even though I joined it just wasn't enough. Looking at the comments saying that the Grab-bags were dying was leaving me tired, feeling like those prophecies I also felt that @Embala was especially blamed for lack of contributions.

So I lashed out. With language that was way harsher than it needed. You were right, @Tymber. I was putting words in your mouth. I'm sorry.

---

As for the May element... I'm going with flowers!

Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptySun Apr 10, 2016 4:05 am

I like the idea of being able to contribute throughtout the month. Think maybe part of the problem before was that we only "opened" the thread for contributions in the last part of the (previous) month, so if people in that time-slot was unable to come up with ideas it seemed as if the thread was forgotten.

Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptyMon Apr 11, 2016 7:46 pm

Startear wrote:
Thank you, Tymber.
I need to apologize too. I came across as angrier than I actually felt. I lashed out. With language that was way harsher than it needed. You were right, @Tymber. I was putting words in your mouth. I'm sorry.

More often than not putting words in my mouth makes me sound smarter, because most of what I say is pretty senseless. Smile

Kidding aside, you never needed to apologize to me. We're all - despite our love of elves - very human. I was the one who lit the match that started the flame. So the only one who had to apologize in any of this was me.

But thank you for the kind words.

It boils down to we're creative people. And when we put something out there, it's always nice to get feedback.

This is why I went back through the last few grab bags and did just that.

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 12:30 am

Startear wrote:

As for the May element... I'm going with flowers!

And for May, though I have not (yet?) written for March or April, I'd like to suggest: Seeking Forgiveness.

(Which may go hand in hand with Startear's flower suggestion!)

So for May, we're already building:

Flowers
Seeking Forgiveness

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 2:42 am

Allow me to complete your list, Tymber:

Love
Flowers
Seeking Forgiveness

faeriegirl has suggested for May at April 5th already. Smile

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 EmptyTue Apr 12, 2016 2:48 am

Embala wrote:
Allow me to complete your list, Tymber:

Love
Flowers
Seeking Forgiveness

faeriegirl has suggested for May at April 5th already. Smile

Thank you! I had missed that!

Well, the month of May is shaping to certainly be one of love, flowers, and forgiveness... a happy piece of art, poem, story, lyric, or otherwise creative submission, it'd seem.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...   TheyAreInTheFuture - Build a "Grab Bag" for the month... - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

Build a "Grab Bag" for the month...
Page 10 of 20Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15 ... 20  Next