Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Final Quest #24

Go down 
+40
Prayer
sueb
Outlier
Startear
Paranthropus
Stormcatcher
Wiseshaman
wingthing
Miss Gillespie
G0lden
Zadzi
IceTooth
Multi-Facets
Kindredsoul
Sadachbia
Kojiyumi
BlueCoyote
Cleopatra
namuhna
Wisp
Vaeri
Stargazer
howler monkey
faeriegirl
Anaid
PCoquelin
ErinC1978
Prism
Bluetree
Davrille
manga
Josine
Evil Evie
Sifra
Embala
Anduinel
Shadowpath
Elwing
Lunakat
jaRf
44 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
AuthorMessage
Anduinel

Anduinel

Final Quest #24 - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyMon Feb 26, 2018 4:28 pm

Anaid wrote:
I had a really, really weird dream last night where all the Wolfriders shapechanged into humans as a last option to be able to still live on Abode... Weird shit. Two more days. Are we there yet?

Yes, let's get this over with so we can get on with ignoring most of it. Wink
Back to top Go down
Anaid

Anaid

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 27, 2018 5:20 am

Anduinel wrote:
Anaid wrote:
I had a really, really weird dream last night where all the Wolfriders shapechanged into humans as a last option to be able to still live on Abode... Weird shit. Two more days. Are we there yet?

Yes, let's get this over with so we can get on with ignoring most of it. Wink

Reminds me of the old days when we would revolt against Elfquest comics that weren't drawn by Wendy Pini herself Wink
Back to top Go down
Anaid

Anaid

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyTue Feb 27, 2018 12:30 pm

Sifra wrote:
Final Quest #24 - Page 3 WNuCiO

rofl
Back to top Go down
Anduinel

Anduinel

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 2:16 am

Anaid wrote:
Reminds me of the old days when we would revolt against Elfquest comics that weren't drawn by Wendy Pini herself Wink

TBH, that always sounds a little odd when I hear folks bring it up. Maybe it was because I was reading a lot of superhero/company-owned comics before EQ, and that artists would eventually be switched up was just how things worked there, especially when there were multiple titles in the franchise.
Back to top Go down
Anaid

Anaid

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 4:31 am

Anduinel wrote:
Anaid wrote:

TBH, that always sounds a little odd when I hear folks bring it up. Maybe it was because I was reading a lot of superhero/company-owned comics before EQ, and that artists would eventually be switched up was just how things worked there, especially when there were multiple titles in the franchise.

Well, I get where you're coming from, but for me Elfquest was and is as much about the story as the artwork. If I look at, for example, Shards, it doesn't have the feeling as OQ. The artwork looks... dirty to me. As if mud was rubbed onto the pages. Mind, this is not a visual thing, it's a feeling it gives me. It looks unpolished, unsophisticated, un... Elfquest.

Look at Dreamtime. Nothing beats Dreamtime, to me. Oh and Hidden Years where Strongbow goes after his wolf.

Even though the artwork between OQ, Dreamtime and Hidden Years is arguably very different, the feeling it gave me is unique and unmatched by other artists. And in that sense, I guess that the Wendy Pini we see today is, as it feels to me, a different artist from the one back then.
Back to top Go down
howler monkey

howler monkey

Taurus Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 6:12 am

Guys. Are you ready?
https://digital.darkhorse.com/books/1dbb2d13287f4df6b4eefd0b24a5500c/elfquest-the-final-quest-24
Back to top Go down
Miss Gillespie

Miss Gillespie

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 8:06 am

That's a fitting ending for final quest.

And Wendy is obsessed with spiders

Stargazer

Cancer Cat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 9:20 am

I was actually quite touched at the end there. And yes, a fitting end. FQ as a whole wasn’t great, but this was the end of an era and I’m glad I saw it to the finish line.
Back to top Go down
Anduinel

Anduinel

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 9:21 am

Anaid wrote:
Well, I get where you're coming from, but for me Elfquest was and is as much about the story as the artwork. If I look at, for example, Shards, it doesn't have the feeling as OQ. The artwork looks... dirty to me. As if mud was rubbed onto the pages. Mind, this is not a visual thing, it's a feeling it gives me. It looks unpolished, unsophisticated, un... Elfquest.

Fair enough. My experience with comics has been that that a fresh set of eyes is usually a good thing. Even with the Pinis ostensibly having signed off on everything, Elfquest was, in the end, a story formed by many hands and I think that's for the better. I didn't care very much for Shards at all (I thought it was at about the level of an uninspired D&D campaign, and Shuna's never been a fave of mine), but installments like The Wild Hunt, the Kahvi LS, both iterations of WaveDancers, and some of the Worldpool stuff made Elfquest a richer experience. Which is one reason why it grates so much to see the Pinis rolling back a lot of character development for seemingly no other reason than Wendy didn't come up with it. On one level, it makes me feel like I wasted my time as a reader. On another, it just seems disrespectful to the contributors.
Back to top Go down
Anaid

Anaid

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 10:23 am

Anduinel wrote:
Anaid wrote:

Fair enough. My experience with comics has been that that a fresh set of eyes is usually a good thing. Even with the Pinis ostensibly having signed off on everything, Elfquest was, in the end, a story formed by many hands and I think that's for the better. I didn't care very much for Shards at all (I thought it was at about the level of an uninspired D&D campaign, and Shuna's never been a fave of mine), but installments like The Wild Hunt, the Kahvi LS, both iterations of WaveDancers, and some of the Worldpool stuff made Elfquest a richer experience. Which is one reason why it grates so much to see the Pinis rolling back a lot of character development for seemingly no other reason than Wendy didn't come up with it. On one level, it makes me feel like I wasted my time as a reader. On another, it just seems disrespectful to the contributors.

Ah, but I get where you're coming from and agree with you! If you decide to trust other artists with your creation, then you should not revoke that trust. Each artist that was invited to collaborate on ElfQuest did contributions that made the story as a whole. Although most of these series are not my favourites, I always considered them canon! They were always part of the whole for me.

I agree that it's pretty rude how it's done in FQ. Tiny changes is fine. But, for example, it almost seems like Wendy just ctrl+shift+deleted Ember and Teir's relationship and recognition over the course of FQ. I was never a big fan of Teir, but I would have preferred if she had let this relationship take its natural course. (And not break all the rules she established in the first twenty-one installments of Elfquest... No )

Oh, erm, off topic. For anyone who is already reading the last installment, I hope it brings closure for you Smile I'll pick up mine tomorrow, hopefully.
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 12:25 pm

i've read it. i finished it. and all i can say is....fuck.
Back to top Go down
Anduinel

Anduinel

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 12:29 pm

Vaeri wrote:
all i can say is....fuck.

I suspect this is the most straight-forward review I'm going to read re: FQ #24. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 12:41 pm

i'm gonna do more in depth later but right now all i have is "fuck", "a fucking SPIDER", and "WHAT WAS THE POINT?!" or "WHY?!"

and this literally applies to everything that happened in this issue.
Back to top Go down
Sifra

Sifra

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 12:46 pm

I read it. At least it ended. It seemed pointless, like most things in FQ.
I still feel bad about Kimo. He was so cute! Sad

Final Quest #24 - Page 3 Dart_kimo_banner_by_janaweijers-db45ba7
Back to top Go down
wingthing

wingthing

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 1:36 pm

I also have a long LONG diatribe brewing in my head, including MANY thoughts about the long and symbolic arc of the goddamned spider, but for now...
Spoiler:

....I just can't imagine Wendy could ever reveal a name that's equal in poetic majesty. Razz
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 3:29 pm

*Looks 'makes us both perfect' page*

...I can't believe she reused that.

Final Quest #24 - Page 3 Tumblr_oizli2hnXr1sda8vao1_1280
'We're all broken, in different ways, in varying degrees.'
Back to top Go down
manga

manga

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 3:41 pm

Can't believe she reused what, Shadowpath?

Why is Skywise leaving his lodestone to guide Cutter when he thinks Cutter's spirit will join the Palace?

Why do the wolfriders think a life eked out on the edge of humanity is better than life in the Palace or even just starting over on a new planet?

Why does Savah think losing Cutter makes Leetah her true successor?

The Cutlet is only 14. How is he that ripped? Has he had Leetah enhance him?

So many questions!
Back to top Go down
Stargazer

Stargazer

Cancer Cat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 3:42 pm

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
ErinC1978

ErinC1978

Sagittarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 4:07 pm

I have two halves fighting within me. One half is tearing up and genuinely moved. The other half is saying, "A spider? REALLY?"
Back to top Go down
ErinC1978

ErinC1978

Sagittarius Horse

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 4:23 pm

Despite many frustrations and misgivings, I actually do feel like this last issue makes FQ as a whole work better for me, and yet I couldn't tell you why.
Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Shadowpath

Shadowpath

Sagittarius Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 4:33 pm

manga wrote:
Can't believe she reused what, Shadowpath?
This.
Final Quest #24 - Page 3 Tumblr_p4vib6WKVc1w6xsdjo2_1280Final Quest #24 - Page 3 Tumblr_p4vib6WKVc1w6xsdjo1_1280

Final Quest #24 - Page 3 Tumblr_oizli2hnXr1sda8vao1_1280
'We're all broken, in different ways, in varying degrees.'

Last edited by Shadowpath on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 4:33 pm

What does this "ashcan" mean?

https://digital.darkhorse.com/books/5b03108f36bf42b98f771c5e54d9a7ab/elfquest-40th-anniversary-ashcan

Can it be there are some glimpses on future and snipets about "late born" characters like the new cubs? Or will it more likely be a summing up of the past?

Final Quest #24 - Page 3 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.

Last edited by Embala on Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:51 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Sorry for the typos.)
Back to top Go down
Anduinel

Anduinel

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 4:46 pm

Embala wrote:

https://digital.darkhorse.com/books/5b03108f36bf42b98f771c5e54d9a7ab/elfquest-40th-anniversary-ashcan

Can it be there are some glimpses on future and snipetzs about "late bortn" characters like the new cubs? Or will it more likely be a summing up of the past?

From the description and from what I've seen of similar projects, it's more likely to be sketches, recycled and/or touched-up art, (like the cover gallery) and some retrospective essays.
Back to top Go down
Stargazer

Stargazer

Cancer Cat

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 4:50 pm

Embala wrote:

Can it be there are some glimpses on future and snipetzs about "late bortn" characters like the new cubs? Or will it more likely be a summing up of the past?

No new info Embala, just a few back patting essays, a chronology, some art we’ve seen before and things like that.
Back to top Go down
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 EmptyWed Feb 28, 2018 4:52 pm

Thank you for the the info, Anduinel and Stargazer. Smile

Final Quest #24 - Page 3 Banner15
Indem du etwas tust, das dir oder jemand anderem gefällt, erschaffst du bereits einen Wert.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Final Quest #24   Final Quest #24 - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Final Quest #24
Page 3 of 12Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 10, 11, 12  Next