Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic...

Go down 
+3
Kojiyumi
Kindredsoul
TrollHammer
7 posters
AuthorMessage
TrollHammer

TrollHammer

New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic... Empty
PostSubject: New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic...   New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic... EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 2:08 am

You know that scene where Redlance hugs a tree and causes it to exude extra sap so it wont burn anymore, putting itself out?

Im not completely convinced this was actually on par with the effort it took to make something sprout in the desert.

Im currently at the beach, at my cousin's camp lot, and the neighbor up and decides to cut down all trees on his lot,including some nice 75 ft pines.

He asked if we wanted firewood from them. So we tried chopping one up. The chainsaw died on the first cut (after the guy felled it).

Long story short, we spent more effort and sweat getting a 10 ft piece back to camp about 100ft away than the wood will provide, but thats not the point Im trying to make (bare with me as Pendelton and Coors are prerequisites to staying at his camp site).

Longer story short, we had a few green branches on the fire. I was trying to jockey a piece around to kick up some heat and grabbed a nice cool spot near the cut end. I poked around with it and shoved it in the fire some more and looked at my had, covered in goo like depicted in the comic. A green tree makes this goo (melted tree sap) by itself, so all Redlance was doing was telling it to make a bit more, while with the seed in the desert he was making it grow against nature, in unfamiliar sand, with inadiquate water, at an unnatural pace... Im thinking this is more impressive than a self extinguishing tree after centuries of expierience.

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic...   New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic... EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 3:11 am

I think Redlance's tree shaping abilities allow him to communicate with the trees on a certain level. Maybe his communion with trees taught him much about their inner workings and used them to their benefit.

Kindredsoul

Kindredsoul

PostSubject: Re: New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic...   New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic... EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 5:23 am

I think here's a strong point to each scene and what he did, or is capable of doing. But I see it the other way around, though

With the seed growing against nature, in unfamiliar sand, with inadequate water, at an unnatural pace. That's not entirely true here. The Sun Folk also grew food in the village. Proof that seedlings did take root in their sandy dessert soil with inadequate water in a difficult environmental setting for plants.

Meaning it would have done so on it's own to begin with anyway. Redlance just gave it some "oomph"

Where as what he did with the trees and the sap? I would think that would take more effort to do so when he's fighting against the raging element of fire. He's only got split seconds for a tree to be able to produce that much sap at a faster rate than fire can burn. And the rate of a raging fire is pretty fast.

New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic... Santa_10New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic... Downlo23New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic... Av_cut10New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic... 2020_k13
Compliments go to Embala for bringing a British cat and an American dog together via Photoshop!
chibi cutter compliments of katcombs!
Cutter egg 2018 from Embala
Back to top Go down
G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic...   New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic... EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 5:47 am

Not only did the Sun Village have cultivated gardens, they had a water supply. Remember the well that Savah's lifemate was able to created. So they had both. Redlance simply aided the dreamberry bush along.

Kojiyumi

Kojiyumi

Scorpio Horse

PostSubject: Re: New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic...   New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic... EmptySun Jun 14, 2015 6:15 am

I'll say on the desert bit. You'd be amazed what can take root and pop up in desert soil. I had stuff growing under my bird feeder last year that was out of control that I never ONCE watered. It managed to crop up during the hottest part of the year, too. Desert soil can support lots of plantlife, it's usually just the heat that bakes and dehydrates non-native plants into crispy critters. And I've had scrub bushes spring up what seems like overnight after a good monsoon rain!

So I'd concur that the trick with the tree(s) to sap coat themselves was more impressive!

New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic... Sig10
*✲゚*。✧KOJIYUMI✧。*✲゚*

ණ⃛(ᵒ͈̑ᴗ̂ᵒ͈̑ )” Getting stuff done at the speed of smell! ─=≡Σ((( つ•̀ω•́)つ

New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic... Sigimage
Back to top Go down
G0lden

G0lden

Scorpio Buffalo

PostSubject: Re: New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic...   New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic... EmptyWed Jun 17, 2015 12:10 am

In the winter months the sap in trees goes to the roots, when the weather warms the sap leaves the roots and returns to the tree. Redlance took advantage of the time of yr.

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic...   New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic... EmptySun Sep 06, 2015 9:21 am

Redlance the Tree Shaper ... this was Redlance's thread, opened by emerald, on the original Scroll of Colors. Follow old discussions and see fanart from earlier times.

Visit Redlance's bio page on Elfquest.com.

There's no reason not to make this the generic Redlance thread, is it? ^^

Last edited by Embala on Tue Apr 05, 2022 2:33 pm; edited 29 times in total
Back to top Go down
Redhead Ember

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic...   New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic... EmptyWed Oct 07, 2015 9:13 am

'Character Bio':
Redlance/ Redmark (m)  Redlance SMile
Alive (staying) – mortal
*Ulm*
Quasi-Recognized lifemate of Nightfall
Father of Tyleet
Grandfather of Pool
Adoptive grandfather of Little Patch
Lovemate of Cutter and Leetah
Mentor of Ember

Last edited by Redhead Ember on Wed May 03, 2023 11:57 am; edited 7 times in total
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic...   New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic... EmptyWed Jul 15, 2020 4:22 pm

Redlance is perhaps the character I associate myself with the most. His gentle spirit and love of nature, speak to me. He is also what I thought was the coolest looking of the elves when I had EQ (OG) #2. And it didn't hurt that his love mate was Nightfall, who I instantly developed a comic book crush for.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic...   New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic... Empty

Back to top Go down

New insight to Redlance's Treeshaper magic...
Page 1 of 1