Father Tree Holt
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Father Tree Holt

Home to the Scrolls of Colors Family

HomePortalLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Abodean Animal Life

Go down 
+5
Leanan
Trollbabe
TrollHammer
Embala
Tam
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

Abodean Animal Life Empty
PostSubject: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptyMon Sep 28, 2015 8:29 pm

Abodean Animal Life ... this was a thread for the Abodean fauna, opened by Aldar, on the original Scroll of Colors. Follow old discussions and see fanart from earlier times.

Aldar and many other "firstcomeres" on the original Scroll did a great job with gathering all those animals. I hope we can rebuild and add to the collection here.

Tam

Tam

Leo Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptyMon Sep 28, 2015 10:35 pm

We use this all the time in my holt. It's so useful. One of these days, I may help fill in some gaps. Cutter Smile
Back to top Go down
http://oakleafholt.boards.net
TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 4:17 pm

So far, with the link provided and what I already had, I have about 89 critters, not counting some inferred creatures (inferred as in, if there is a product made from an unseen animal, or a reference to a type of unseen animal being like a seen animal, I didnt add it).

One of the things that got me to wondering: the Spirit-Maker spider. Im assuming there are other spiders, but denoting that that particular spider was poisonous doesnt necessarily mean that there were non-poisonous ones. The question I have is how they found out it was deadly? They would have had to observe at least one creature (or, more likely an Elf) die from a bite and a single bite only (no infections or other wounds), and Id think it would need two deaths (or a death and a near death) to verify that indeed THAT creature does indeed have a deadly bite.

So, what Im implying is, if we dont know of any named Elves that were killed by Spirit-makers, can we imply an unseen/unnamed elf that did die? (And then make up a story about them and add them to the list because we are bored? Smile )

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 5:27 pm

I want to make sure this list will NOT suddenly disappear! (pictures will hopefully be added step by step)

Aldar wrote:

Allo (Large, vicious saurian creature that usually hunts alone. Covered with horny scales and slightly reddish in color.) - Rahnee's time

Bagfrog (Abodean frog) - Siege at Blue Mountain

Bear - Searcer and the Sword

Beaver/Flat Tail (Found in the forests between Burning Waste and Frozen Mountains, seen on Cutter and Skywise's original quest) - Original Quest

Black-Neck (Herd animal with black patches on its neck.) - Shards

Boar - Dreamtime

Branch-Horn (Similar to a deer) - Hidden Years/Shards

Cuphorn (Herd animal resembling a reindeer, often found on the Plainswaste around Howling Rock.) - Hidden Years/Wild Hunt

Desert Pet Cat (Leetah had one in her hut in the Sun Village) - Original Quest

Desert Pet Dog (A playmate to the cubs in Sun Village) - Original Quest

Desert Lizard (Found in Sorrow's End.) - The Original Quest.
At least two species exists, these are:
- Pet Lizard (Leetah had one):
- Wild Lizard

Desert Vulture (found in the Burning Waste) - Original Quest

Desert Wild Boar (Presumely a small type, found around Sorrow's End. Rayek is seen killing one, and it's probably a common prey.) - Original Quest

Ferret (Pretty much like Earth's ferrets.) At least two species exists, both in Iceholt, and these are:
- Ferret #1 - Kings of the Broken Wheel
- Ferret #2 - Kahvi

Fin-back (Herbivor saurian that looks like the duck-beak dinosaurs - Hadrosaurs - with a fin on its back. It's found in the foggy forest where Adar and Nonna lived) - Original Quest

Fire-Jaw (Bug which bite's causes hallucinations) - Hidden Years

fish

Fliptail - Wavedancers

Giant Hawks (Great birds that the Gliders ride, found at Blue Mountain, where they also nest.) - The Original Quest/Siege at Blue Mountain

Hen (Blood of Ten Chiefs: Bearclaw's time)

Hop-Digger (Similar to Earth's groundhogs) - Hidden Years

Hummer (Small bird) - Blood of Ten Chiefs: The Hummer and Buckthorn story

Jackals (Coyote-like predators found around Sorrow's End. They run in packs.) - Hidden Years

Jack-Wolf (A cross-bread between wolves and jackals, these are the mounts of the Jack-Wolf Riders) - Original Quest to New Blood (at least)

Leatherwing (Abodean bat) - Original Quest

Long-toothed cat (Pretty much as the pre-historic Smilodon) - Wolfrider!

Mallard (Just the same as on Earth) - Blood of Ten Chiefs: The Eldolil story

Mammoth (Like pre-historic Earth's) - sometime shortly after the Palace arrived on Abode, it's seen in an Original Quest flashback.

Maraeva (Massive, wormlike sea monster, with green eyes, red skin, and fangs half the size of an elf. It has arms and webbed fingers.) - New Blood: Forevergreen

Moonhatcher (Waterbird, like a duck) - Dreamtime

Mouse - Hidden Years

No-humps (Small ponies found in the forests between Frozen Mountains and Burning Waste) - The Original Quest

Nut-Catcher (Squirrel-type of creatures, these pictures might show a male and female) - Kings of the Broken Wheel

Oinky-Skrewtail (Abodean pig) - Shards

Owl

Rat - Hidden Years

Ravvit (Abodean Rabbit found in Sorrow's End.) - The Original Quest

Shagback (Abodean bison often found on the Plainswaste around Howling Rock. There are actually at least two species of Shagback. The ones near Howling Rock are a much smaller species than the Great Shagbacks found near the original holt, as seen in Full Circle. Actually, Cutter and Skywise kill one of these in The Forbidden Grove, too, during the part of their journey on pony-back.) - The Original Quest, Hidden Years, Wild Hunt and more

Sheep - Blood of Ten Chiefs: Two-Spear's time.

Shell-Back (Giant armadillo known as the prehistoric Glyptodon on Earth, it's seen on Cutter and Skywise's original quest through the forests between Frozen Mountains and Burning Waste.) - Original Quest

Snake-Tail (A tree dwelling mammal, a cross between a raccoon and a ferret.) - Hidden Years

Snow-Bear (Pretty much like Earth's.) - Original Quest and beyond(?)

Spirit Maker (Poisonous spider) - Wolfrider!

Squirrel (One of these bit Cutter, causing him to go ill by the time he and Skywise first med Adar and Nonna) - Original Quest

Stag (Like our world's stags, they seem to live near the Frozen Mountains, and are sometimes used as mounts by the Go-Backs) - The whole Elfquest saga(?)

Stripehide (a cross between a zebra and a giraffe. Smaller than a zwoot, but bigger than no-humps. They live somewhere on the way to Howling Rock.) - Hidden Years

Stringtail (Scorpion, found in Sorrow's End) - Original Quest

Swordfeet (Large, bipedal reptiles, pretty much like the raptors - a dinosaur type - living on Earth 65 million years ago) - Blood of Ten Chiefs: Freefoot's time

Tree-Gazer (giant sloths known as the prehistoric Megatherium on Earth, it's seen on Cutter's and Skywise's original quest through the forests between Frozen Mountains and Burning Waste.) - Original Quest

Treewee (Primate-looking tree-living animal found in the area around the Forbidden grove) - The Original Quest

Tuftcat (Cat species, Stubtail was one) - Hidden Years

Whitestripe (Abodean skunk) - Siege at Blue Mountain

Wolf (Pretty much like our world's, but here I think of those with elf blood.) - The whole Elfquest saga

Zwoot (Camel/horse crossover found in Sorrow's End) - The Original Quest

UNKNOWN RACES:
Winterleaf (A fox/mongoose crossover. Tanner thought Winterleaf was his wolf friend) - Blood of Ten Chiefs

Deer from the story where Redlance earned his name.

Cat who attacked Tyleet in Hidden Years.

Would you share your list of critters, Hammer? Almost 90 ... there sould be some this list does not cover!

Last edited by Embala on Mon Mar 22, 2021 5:39 am; edited 14 times in total
Back to top Go down
TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptyTue Sep 29, 2015 8:02 pm

I will once I fluff it out. This card making program Im using might be of use to you (I could send a copy of my datafile you could work with), as you can enter all the information about the characters and then export a text file with a standardized output (or, if you make a template, you could make biography cards just as easily)

Anyway, I have been pouring through threads today getting the "smaller" groups notarized and annotated, and will be fleshing them out as I have time. So far today I:

Broke out the High Ones from the main list, and now have 28 High Ones (though some of these are children with two High Ones as parents)

Broke out most other groups (wolfriders, wavedancers, etc)

Inputted the creatures basic info (fauna) and have a list of 91 with duplicates, NOT counting the new ones I found on a cached copy of an old website (that has at least 5-10 more I havent heard of)

Started a flora list (only up to 10 entries so far)

Discovered (for myself) Trickster's Clan and Plains Elves, broke out and inputted them.

inputted another 10 other story references that Im not sure where they go yet (characters and creatures).

Ill upload my ceature list once I have all the info formatted in the right fields (right now its just a mess).

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptySat May 08, 2021 5:57 pm

Regarding the long-toothed cat listed above, I always wondered about that creature which formed half of Madcoil.

I thought it was a mongoose, but they are native to India. What was it doing above the frost line, I wondered.

Is Dre-Ahn's horse a regular no-hump, just a really big one?

At what point in their history do Abodean humans begin domesticating dogs?

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptySun May 09, 2021 2:25 pm

A mongoose and a normal sized snake ... that would be a most likely encounter! Very realistic, Trollbabe. I've never thought about anything else than a giant python or anaconda and a sabertooth cat ... the more mystic approach. ^^

Dre-Ahn's pony resemmbles our heavy workhorse races. Makes me think of Elves who have tamed and bred no-humps for plow and cart - or traveling with heavy baggage.

Most likely the tribes near the holt never did - they'd rather kill wolf cubs instead of taming them.

Last edited by Embala on Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:10 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptyTue May 11, 2021 6:44 am

"Swordfeet (Large, bipedal reptiles, pretty much like the raptors - a dinosaur type - living on Earth 65 million years ago) - Blood of Ten Chiefs: Freefoot's time"

Do dinosaurs appear in any other stories of Elves or Trolls? This one seems to have been brought back to life just for the sake of the story.

The Trolls must have encountered at least fossils of dinosaurs.

Leanan

Scorpio Rooster

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptyTue May 11, 2021 9:41 am

There is the mysterious shadow in the background, seen on this page:

http://elfquest.com/read/index.php?s=OQ/OQ08&p=21

Back to top Go down
Yeee

Yeee

Virgo Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptyTue May 11, 2021 3:57 pm

Heh heh yes I remember, the Ouranosaurus:
Abodean Animal Life Ourano10
The world of two moons is so cool, it has even dinos!   Abodean Animal Life 1f60b    Abodean Animal Life 1f606

Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptyWed May 12, 2021 10:07 am

Father Tree Press published "Elfquest: The Hidden Years" in hardback in 1992. One of the stories is "Starfall, Starrise", the story of Skywise's birth.

The story begins with two human boys killing a snake-tail, mentioned in Embala's list.

In the Holt scene that follows, Pike is climbing into a burrow under Father Tree. He extracts a creature that looks like a wide-eyed rodent. What is it?

Pike doesn't have a knife, and seems to be handling a routine chore. Is it pest removal? The animal looks too small to be prey.

Pike doesn't seem concerned about being bitten.

On the next page, the human boys apply musk from a "thorny humped mud pig," in order to fool the wolves.

Is this another name for an Earth animal, or is it an Abode animal made up for the story?

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptyThu May 13, 2021 9:05 am

Trollbabe wrote:
"Swordfeet (Large, bipedal reptiles, pretty much like the raptors - a dinosaur type - living on Earth 65 million years ago) - Blood of Ten Chiefs: Freefoot's time"

Do dinosaurs appear in any other stories of Elves or Trolls? This one seems to have been brought back to life just for the sake of the story.
This dark shadow linked by Leanan very much reminds of a dinosaur. I think this is the only "dino source" that originates in the comics.
The BotC issue #5 "Talon", featuring the Swordfeet, is the retelling of the prose story "Summer Tag". This short story was published in the prose novel collection "Wolfsong", Vol.2 of the "Blood of Ten chiefs" book series.
In Vol.1, "Blood of Ten Chiefs". there is the story "Plague of Allos", obviously other dinosaur-like creatures. In this story Rahnee was presumably killed by an allo.
Quote :
The Trolls must have encountered at least fossils of dinosaurs.
This would be very likely, Trollbabe. I can so imagine fan art or fan fiction of Trolls encountering giant bones or a complete skeleton. And young Maggoty was there to witness. And she still treasures a finger bone or a tooth of this creature.

Quote :
In the Holt scene that follows, Pike is climbing into a burrow under Father Tree. He extracts a creature that looks like a wide-eyed rodent. What is it?
Hmmm ... never really took attention to it. Looks like the WoTM version of a chipmunk to me - a very scared one. Kinda cute and not dangerous.
Quote :
Pike doesn't have a knife, and seems to be handling a routine chore. Is it pest removal? The animal looks too small to be prey.

Pike doesn't seem concerned about being bitten.
Pike was imagined to be a playful mischievous youth at this time. Hunting for fun? To prove his agility - being fast as a Wolfrider? ^^ Maybe it's a challenge of its own NOT to get bitten? And then let it go again ... like returning a too small fish in the water?
Even can be a snack - once Ember's starving tribe feasted on mice.

Quote :
On the next page, the human boys apply musk from a "thorny humped mud pig," in order to fool the wolves.

Is this another name for an Earth animal, or is it an Abode animal made up for the story?
In a way all Abodian animals are made up for exactly this fictional world. And pretty much all are inspired by earthen fauna. Wendy Pini was always eager to avoid the classical mystery creatures like dragons and such for her EQ universe. I'd image this "thorny humped mud pig" as a warthog ... maybe with some procupine adds.

Last edited by Embala on Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:07 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Trollbabe

Trollbabe

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptyMon May 17, 2021 10:08 am

If no Abodean predator wants to hunt a thorny humped mud pig, maybe a shape shifting Elf should have mated with one and started a new tribe..

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptyMon May 17, 2021 10:11 am

Shocked ... rofl

TrollHammer

TrollHammer

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptyMon May 24, 2021 2:58 am

It was remembered as quite the insult to the trolls when a healer decided to go with the whole 'fungal type' tribe simply because elves can't tell the difference between an elf-shaped-into-a-thorny-humped-mud-pig and Old Maggoty in her youth... the healer in question was enough familiar with trolls to be worried that the copyright guild would press charges for similarity.

As if a troll would confuse the two.  As you say, it would have been a great way for elves to keep humans away, hideous, smelly beasts that thorny humped mud pigs are.  Young Old Maggoty, who was then known by another name, suggested such a thing, which is how the insult came to light, whereupon the healer said 'I suppose if we looked like you the humans would stay away... but maybe we should take this one step farther and make ourselves like rotting swamp trees?  If we are going to be unsightly, we might as well blend in!"

The gypsy trolls that Old Maggoty was traveling with at the time promptly left the swamp and that tribe behind, leaving them for the time when humans started draining the wetlands for development of various industrial centers, such as sewage waste processing plants.

Speaking of plants, if an elf were to shape one's self into a whistling-leaf plant, then play music, would that elf be accused of blowing their own horn?

(looking back through the thread... man, I left so many intended things hanging when I wandered off back then... I did get into an old hard drive from back then and found a few things, I'll have to see if I dredged up my old list of critters to post here. Someone keep prodding me!)

Redhead Ember

Aries Dragon

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptyThu Apr 14, 2022 12:39 am

Any other interesting animals?

Come play the Who Am I game! Twisted Evil

Last edited by Redhead Ember on Mon Mar 27, 2023 2:41 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Vaeri

Vaeri

Pisces Goat

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptyThu Apr 14, 2022 1:09 am

What about those pretty song birds in Blue Mountain? I think they resemble smaller versions of birds of paradise...i think?
Back to top Go down
Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 2:08 am

Embala wrote:
I want to make sure this list will NOT suddenly disappear! (pictures will hopefully be added step by step)

Aldar wrote:

Allo (Large, vicious saurian creature that usually hunts alone. Covered with horny scales and slightly reddish in color.) - Rahnee's time

Bagfrog (Abodean frog) - Siege at Blue Mountain

Bear - Searcer and the Sword

Beaver/Flat Tail (Found in the forests between Burning Waste and Frozen Mountains, seen on Cutter and Skywise's original quest) - Original Quest

Black-Neck (Herd animal with black patches on its neck.) - Shards

Boar - Dreamtime

Branch-Horn (Similar to a deer) - Hidden Years/Shards

Cuphorn (Herd animal resembling a reindeer, often found on the Plainswaste around Howling Rock.) - Hidden Years/Wild Hunt

Desert Pet Cat (Leetah had one in her hut in the Sun Village) - Original Quest

Desert Pet Dog (A playmate to the cubs in Sun Village) - Original Quest

Desert Lizard (Found in Sorrow's End.) - The Original Quest.
At least two species exists, these are:
- Pet Lizard (Leetah had one):
- Wild Lizard

Desert Vulture (found in the Burning Waste) - Original Quest

Desert Wild Boar (Presumely a small type, found around Sorrow's End. Rayek is seen killing one, and it's probably a common prey.) - Original Quest

Ferret (Pretty much like Earth's ferrets.) At least two species exists, both in Iceholt, and these are:
- Ferret #1 - Kings of the Broken Wheel
- Ferret #2 - Kahvi

Fin-back (Herbivor saurian that looks like the duck-beak dinosaurs - Hadrosaurs - with a fin on its back. It's found in the foggy forest where Adar and Nonna lived) - Original Quest

Fire-Jaw (Bug which bite's causes hallucinations) - Hidden Years

fish

Fliptail - Wavedancers

Giant Hawks (Great birds that the Gliders ride, found at Blue Mountain, where they also nest.) - The Original Quest/Siege at Blue Mountain

Hen (Blood of Ten Chiefs: Bearclaw's time)

Hop-Digger (Similar to Earth's groundhogs) - Hidden Years

Hummer (Small bird) - Blood of Ten Chiefs: The Hummer and Buckthorn story

Jackals (Coyote-like predators found around Sorrow's End. They run in packs.) - Hidden Years

Jack-Wolf (A cross-bread between wolves and jackals, these are the mounts of the Jack-Wolf Riders) - Original Quest to New Blood (at least)

Leatherwing (Abodean bat) - Original Quest

Long-toothed cat (Pretty much as the pre-historic Smilodon) - Wolfrider!

Mallard (Just the same as on Earth) - Blood of Ten Chiefs: The Eldolil story

Mammoth (Like pre-historic Earth's) - sometime shortly after the Palace arrived on Abode, it's seen in an Original Quest flashback.

Maraeva (Massive, wormlike sea monster, with green eyes, red skin, and fangs half the size of an elf. It has arms and webbed fingers.) - New Blood: Forevergreen

Moonhatcher (Waterbird, like a duck) - Dreamtime

Mouse - Hidden Years

No-humps (Small ponies found in the forests between Frozen Mountains and Burning Waste) - The Original Quest

Nut-Catcher (Squirrel-type of creatures, these pictures might show a male and female) - Kings of the Broken Wheel

Oinky-Skrewtail (Abodean pig) - Shards

Owl

Rat - Hidden Years

Ravvit (Abodean Rabbit found in Sorrow's End.) - The Original Quest

Shagback (Abodean bison often found on the Plainswaste around Howling Rock. There are actually at least two species of Shagback. The ones near Howling Rock are a much smaller species than the Great Shagbacks found near the original holt, as seen in Full Circle. Actually, Cutter and Skywise kill one of these in The Forbidden Grove, too, during the part of their journey on pony-back.) - The Original Quest, Hidden Years, Wild Hunt and more

Sheep - Blood of Ten Chiefs: Two-Spear's time.

Shell-Back (Giant armadillo known as the prehistoric Glyptodon on Earth, it's seen on Cutter and Skywise's original quest through the forests between Frozen Mountains and Burning Waste.) - Original Quest

Snake-Tail (A tree dwelling mammal, a cross between a raccoon and a ferret.) - Hidden Years

Snow-Bear (Pretty much like Earth's.) - Original Quest and beyond(?)

Spirit Maker (Poisonous spider) - Wolfrider!

Squirrel (One of these bit Cutter, causing him to go ill by the time he and Skywise first med Adar and Nonna) - Original Quest

Stag (Like our world's stags, they seem to live near the Frozen Mountains, and are sometimes used as mounts by the Go-Backs) - The whole Elfquest saga(?)

Stripehide (a cross between a zebra and a giraffe. Smaller than a zwoot, but bigger than no-humps. They live somewhere on the way to Howling Rock.) - Hidden Years

Stringtail (Scorpion, found in Sorrow's End) - Original Quest

Swordfeet (Large, bipedal reptiles, pretty much like the raptors - a dinosaur type - living on Earth 65 million years ago) - Blood of Ten Chiefs: Freefoot's time

Tree-Gazer (giant sloths known as the prehistoric Megatherium on Earth, it's seen on Cutter's and Skywise's original quest through the forests between Frozen Mountains and Burning Waste.) - Original Quest

Treewee (Primate-looking tree-living animal found in the area around the Forbidden grove) - The Original Quest

Tuftcat (Cat species, Stubtail was one) - Hidden Years

Whitestripe (Abodean skunk) - Siege at Blue Mountain

Wolf (Pretty much like our world's, but here I think of those with elf blood.) - The whole Elfquest saga

Zwoot (Camel/horse crossover found in Sorrow's End) - The Original Quest

UNKNOWN RACES:
Winterleaf (A fox/mongoose crossover. Tanner thought Winterleaf was his wolf friend) - Blood of Ten Chiefs

Deer from the story where Redlance earned his name.

Cat who attacked Tyleet in Hidden Years.

Would you share your list of critters, Hammer? Almost 90 ... there sould be some this list does not cover!

The ElfQuest RPG game adds some-

Bison
Bloodworm - 6 foot leeches
Bristle Boar - The one Rayek gutted
Crocodilian - Crocodiles, essentially
Deer
Elk
Fin-Back, the dinosaur creature seen in the swamp mentioned a few posts up
Hawk, Giant
Mad-Horn - Wolly Rhino, essentially
Snake, Giant
Spider, Giant

Elf-War added -
Blacksails - Killer whales
Furryfins - Seals
Roundhorns - Sheep with horns

Sea Elves added -
Bigjaws - Fish
Snappers - Fish
Bluefish - massive fish prized for their meat due to their size
Boat-Back - Giant turtles
Deepsinger - The largest whales known
Eel
Flying Fish - can't fly, just named so for their jumping
Lizards, Giant
Manytooth - a form of shark
Manyarms - Octopus
Mollusks
Seaglider - fish that have ovoid bodies, long tails, two triangular wing like fins
Sea Snake
Skulker - Sea crocs with fins rather than feet
Stingfinger - Jelly fish
Treenecks - large fish that eat other fish, very rare
Wavedancers - dolphins

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 4:19 am

Thank you very much, Tymber! Like Great addition!
I love that all the elfquesty names go with explanations/comparissons which animal they ressemble or how they look like!

Yeee

Yeee

Virgo Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 10:12 am

"Blacksails - Killer whales
Furryfins - Seals"
This is great, thanx for posting those names.
Now I must change at least one comic panel, for my seal word was "groundcrawler" or something like that. Furryfin sounds far more cute! I love you

"Fliptail - Wavedancers" Sounds like another name for dolphins?

I sample more of the sea creature names here:
"Maraeva (Massive, wormlike sea monster, with green eyes, red skin, and fangs half the size of an elf. It has arms and webbed fingers.) - New Blood: Forevergreen

Sea Elves added -
Bigjaws - Fish
Snappers - Fish
Eel
Lizards, Giant
Manyarms - Octopus
Mollusks
Seaglider - fish that have ovoid bodies, long tails, two triangular wing like fins
Sea Snake
Stingfinger - Jelly fish
Wavedancers - dolphins"
Great list, but how do these creatures look like?

I wonder what name I could give the Sea Raider wolphins, for they are no wave dancers (Bottlenose dolphins) , they are are not grey but black and blue.
Maybe Slaptails or Clubtails.

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 10:52 am

Don't forget to add the Sbuef, Yeee! ^^

(just an insider joke!)

Yeee

Yeee

Virgo Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 10:55 am

Yes of course, it needs an Elfquest name too.

Tymber

Tymber

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 3:04 pm

Yeee wrote:

Great list, but how do these creatures look like?

Sea Elves added -
Bigjaws - Fish

Based on the description in the book -
https://www.nhm.ac.uk/content/dam/nhmwww/discover/deep-sea-fish/deep-sea-angler-two-column.jpg.thumb.768.768.jpg

Yeee wrote:

Snappers - Fish

This is based on a real fish -
https://fishingbooker.com/blog/media/Red-Snapper-Season-2019.jpg

Yeee wrote:

Based on real fish, I assume.
https://www.gannett-cdn.com/presto/2019/03/28/PBRE/ca3d5a0f-df96-4cc1-9429-8fb67341f494-bluefish_ryan_wood.jpg

Yeee wrote:

Eel
Lizards, Giant
Manyarms - Octopus
Mollusks
Sea Snake
Stingfinger - Jelly fish
Wavedancers - dolphins"

Obvious?

Yeee wrote:

Based on Blue Whale, I assume.
https://www.treehugger.com/thmb/5NwwhuRZrxltfP9372Y3OpacXK4=/1333x1000/smart/filters:no_upscale()/11-facts-about-blue-whales-largest-animals-ever-known-earth-ADD-FINAL-a99cc86cbc0c49c3bd3e9265203ef7f4.png

Yeee wrote:

These two sound similar, and probably based off a real fish -
https://images.maritimeprofessional.com/images/storage/flyingfish-a.jpg

Yeee wrote:

Probably a reference to a dinosaur, thought to have existed:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/EzmJzBbVUAQcLnh?format=jpg&name=large

Yeee wrote:

There's a massive fish (literally looks like a tree trunk underwater, that has a huge mouth that I can't recall the name of)... but it could also be referencing a basking shark....
https://images.saymedia-content.com/.image/ar_4:3%2Cc_fill%2Ccs_srgb%2Cfl_progressive%2Cq_auto:eco%2Cw_1200/MTc0MjA4NjEzODI3NzQ5NzU2/basking-sharks.jpg

Embala

Embala

Capricorn Pig

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 3:25 pm

When I've read Deepsinger I've inatially pictured the humpback whale - not the biggest whale on Earth but best known for their songs.

Yeee

Yeee

Virgo Tiger

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life EmptySat Apr 16, 2022 4:03 pm

Of course it is clear what some names mean,I meant not all. I sampled a list of all Sea animals names so That I have a quick check, what names I can/ should use for my comic stuff.
If there are still pictures from the comics for the names, I at least know how the Pinis imagine them to look like. The appearance of the Abode animals varies from that of the terrestrial.
As for the pictures you sent, they definitely give me a pretty good starting point and I can see myself using them in the future.

Concerning Deepsingers, I see it as Embala. But I think, they would call all baleen whales
that way and they might then differentiate with additions: largest D. = Bluewhale, big fin D. = Humpbackwhale etc.

Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Abodean Animal Life   Abodean Animal Life Empty

Back to top Go down

Abodean Animal Life
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next